What's new

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthOrLie

Veteran
I came to this thread open minded and very willing to try new things. After trying new things and posting my results and my concerns, all I heard back from proponents of this method is "it works for me!"

I don't understand how I can come in here with legitimate concerns and be ignored, but when I make a statement that it doesn't seem to be working for me, now I'm a troll.

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im glad this thread is back up and running, thanks k33f for the thread i've been here since your first post and i've followed very close to what you said.

I know there are a lot of new people that just found this thread and want to give this a try but cant find any evidences to back up that it works and only hears people in here said it works.

Well for me, does matter what people tell me if it works or not, the only way to find out is try it ya self. I cant say that everyone will succeed at this within the first try.

There are lots of disccusion bout side by side testing, well in a few months i'll have plenty of space and i will be doing side by side for some non believer, im doing this to help k33f spread the words because everyone deserve more buds :)

cheers,

OPT

Plucking off certain fan leaves has nothing but helped my plants. With a combination of LSTing and the random plucking of fan leaves, I truely believe my plants are growing more bud sites, and bigger bud sites.

I only pluck off the biggest ones near the middle of the bush that are shading all the tiny nodes that formed from LSTing the gals. This has allowed more light penetration to these nodes, and that coupled with tying down the main stalks has shot them upwards!

I think a good rule with plucking of fan leaves is to never do it until a new branch has fully formed, otherwise that potential bud site will just stop growing, leaving you 1 branch short of what you could have had.

I always leave the very bottom fan leaves to catch the light that does make it through though.

The one plant that I have not done this to was the lone indica in the room. After a certain point she never would bush out like the other ones, the nodes just simply weren't producing any additional branching, just the original big arms I got from topping and LSTing. I think this is where I would agree it's plant specific.

OPT

huntingbb

Plucking off certain fan leaves has nothing but helped my plants. With a combination of LSTing and the random plucking of fan leaves, I truely believe my plants are growing more bud sites, and bigger bud sites.

I only pluck off the biggest ones near the middle of the bush that are shading all the tiny nodes that formed from LSTing the gals. This has allowed more light penetration to these nodes, and that coupled with tying down the main stalks has shot them upwards!

I think a good rule with plucking of fan leaves is to never do it until a new branch has fully formed, otherwise that potential bud site will just stop growing, leaving you 1 branch short of what you could have had.

I always leave the very bottom fan leaves to catch the light that does make it through though.

The one plant that I have not done this to was the lone indica in the room. After a certain point she never would bush out like the other ones, the nodes just simply weren't producing any additional branching, just the original big arms I got from topping and LSTing. I think this is where I would agree it's plant specific.

OPT

Sweet... I took clones from my moms they were nice and busy, and defo'd the shit outta them then cut the clones.

Kinda like defol + topping + hst ;)

Cant wait to flower the moms out, and the clones should be awesome :jump:

Oh, i still haven't uploaded my second run, but the defoliation must have a large part to play in this... about to defoliate the second time while in flower....

TruthOrLie

Veteran
It seems to be flawed logic that removing a leaf to provide light to a lower site somehow increases yield, considering light intensity decreases over distance.

While this method may indeed increase yields, it is very possible the reasoning behind why the yields increase may be flawed.

Budley Doright

Veteran
Truthfully I dont under stand your logic at all....

When I stand right under the ceiling light in my kitchen its pretty bright....

now when I stand back a few feet it may be a little less bright.....

but its way brighter than when I put my hand over my eyes....

I hope you get the drift.....

bonsai

While this method may indeed increase yields, it is very possible the reasoning behind why the yields increase may be flawed.

Interesting.
I'm a complete noob at cannabis, but I have 11 years exp. growing small dense trees. In bonsai growing, esp. in evergreens such as ficus, I use defoliation to cause tighter internode spacing and dense branching.
Assuming it's done at the right time in the growing cycle (heavy veg period), on an otherwise healthy tree, the plant essentially freaks out at the loss of the large leaves and sprouts many to attempt to make up for the loss. The rate of growth is greatly retarded.
I've been employing this approach throughout a 4 week veg cycle on a sativa grown from seed (arjans haze 3) to try and get a tiny cannabis plant without any topping. The test subject is in the second week of flowering and just under 3 inches tall. -- https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=21146&pictureid=511057

S

SCROG McDuck

It seems to be flawed logic that removing a leaf to provide light to a lower site somehow increases yield, considering light intensity decreases over distance.

what you say, TOL is true.. light decreases over distance...
but it is zero if it never gets there..

NiKEUS-

perhaps this goes back to a theory about yellow light only reaching the lower braches telling the plant to strectch and look for more light, leaves absorb very little of the yellow wavelength and this can penetrate further than red....absence of the rest of the spectrum...
theory btw not saying its gospel before any sort of trolling starts.
now if the plant is not using energy reserves to try and grow upwards and outwards and is in flower production would these energy reserves go to fruit production?<
I have been pruning fan leaves like they are going out of fashion and my plants are producing some lovely bud but.... my canopy is thick with leaves that are thin and attached to bud sites i (no way am I removing them) must have removed 400+ leaves in the last 3 weeks from 5 plants...

TruthOrLie

Veteran
Truthfully I dont under stand your logic at all....

When I stand right under the ceiling light in my kitchen its pretty bright....

now when I stand back a few feet it may be a little less bright.....

but its way brighter than when I put my hand over my eyes....

I hope you get the drift.....

Yea, but if you were a plant you would have eyeballs on the back of your hand...

...if you get my drift.

slowandeasy

Veteran
picture.php

MrFista

Veteran
TOL has good points. The first time I tried this I lost 50% of yield. This was years ago via another website and the same guys ignored me and kept banging on about how good they are.

Now years later they still do this, it still works strain specifically, they still ignore people who's yield was trashed, they still act like they are saving potkind and know everything, and they still haven't got a f'n clue why it works.

Bit of research and reading would be advised. Not expertise in here, a fluke that is not understood at all, and an awful lot of blowing.

We could have a hormone lecture, but I'm over trying to explain anything to this crew. Call me troll, call me hater or whatever. I lost 50% yield.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
once you defoliate a clone it stops growing for several days while the un-touched one jumps ahead.

You will have to flip the untouched one WWWAAAAYYY before the defoliated one has developed enough to flip.

A DEFOLIATED PLANT MUST VEG LONGER THAN AN UNDEFOLIATED ONE.

I agree, (wwaaayy) longer veg time ultimately equals more yield, and is a primary reason some people's leaf pruned crops weigh more.

Bonzai!

D

dramamine

I agree, (wwaaayy) longer veg time ultimately equals more yield, and is a primary reason some people's leaf pruned crops weigh more.

Bonzai!

How much longer a veg time did you observe when pruning substantial amounts of leaves on your plants? "wwaaayy" longer is overstating the case, for sure. And if the plants can finish at 4' plus, it can't very well be called banzai, simply because it involves leaf plucking. Or at least, if you choose to call it banzai, maybe the term "defoliation" is OK, too. I remember you were arguing semantics earlier in the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.