What's new

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowandeasy

Veteran
why would you want more light hitting the floor?
I want something that photosynthesizes blocking light from everything that doesn't.

Are you serious right now? Why would I want more light to hit the floor? Because light grows bud...not SHADE! This is getting really bad now. Why on earth would someone want more light? WOW

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Are you serious right now? Why would I want more light to hit the floor? Because light grows bud...not SHADE! This is getting really bad now. Why on earth would someone want more light? WOW

your floor grows buds when light hits it?

I want more light hitting my plants.
If it is hitting the floor, it missed. :yoinks:

Light not hitting green is wasted light.

slowandeasy

Veteran
What was dumb?

I thought it was pretty dumb how you say your pots which 'trim' the roots don't restrict them... but I wasn't going to say anything.

The whole point of Smart Pots is so they do not get restricted! The air prunes them all the time, so they never circle.

Your jungle comparison is stupid. The less light a branch gets, the less bud....PERIOD

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
read: Don't defoliate this much! Instead of throwing these plants in the trash (didn't like the yield,) I decided to see what would happen if I take off nearly every single leaf. This is NOT what this thread is about, it's just for my own curiosity!

BEFORE
picture.php

AFTER
picture.php

AFTER 2-3 WEEKS
picture.php

Last edited:

TruthOrLie

Veteran
Circling roots is much different that restricted roots.

When you cut, trim, prune the leaves OR roots, you are RESTRICTING them.

The plant responds to restrictive conditions by trying to grow more vigorously.

This even happens when you don't cut, trim, or prune the leaves and you tie or bend them.

This is a response related to falling trees which may block light, so the plant responds vigorously to grow around the fallen tree.

My jungle comparison may seem stupid to you, but if you knew anything about photosynthesis and the way light travels and how it is viewed differently by animals and plants, then you would have understood that you are a dumbass.

slowandeasy

Veteran
your floor grows buds when light hits it?

I want more light hitting my plants.
If it is hitting the floor, it missed. :yoinks:

Are you serious? Why do I want more light to hit the floor? Because it give light to lower areas that would have never seen light. The massive fan leaves that block all of the light will result in less penetration. I do not have a block of 1000 watt lights like you. If I did I would not even bother defoliating, because the light penetrates further. Every method has its place, and to act like what I say does not make sense, is wrong. I cannot for my final weight in a few days. I do not need a scale to tell me my yield is way better.

Why are folks even arguing in this thread? If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, also great.

Concerning defoliation, there is a threshold where snipping leaves becomes counter-productive. Tuck when you can, snip when you can't.

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Are you serious? Why do I want more light to hit the floor? Because it give light to lower areas that would have never seen light. The massive fan leaves that block all of the light will result in less penetration. I do not have a block of 1000 watt lights like you. If I did I would not even bother defoliating, because the light penetrates further. Every method has its place, and to act like what I say does not make sense, is wrong. I cannot for my final weight in a few days. I do not need a scale to tell me my yield is way better.

I understand you wanting your lowers to get more light. I never questioned that.
I don't understand wanting your floor to get more.

It would seem like better training of the plants could avoid wasting that light... whether you remove leaves or not.

light not hitting green is wasted light.

slowandeasy

Veteran
Circling roots is much different that restricted roots.

When you cut, trim, prune the leaves OR roots, you are RESTRICTING them.

The plant responds to restrictive conditions by trying to grow more vigorously.

This even happens when you don't cut, trim, or prune the leaves and you tie or bend them.

This is a response related to falling trees which may block light, so the plant responds vigorously to grow around the fallen tree.

My jungle comparison may seem stupid to you, but if you knew anything about photosynthesis and the way light travels and how it is viewed differently by animals and plants, then you would have understood that you are a dumbass.

Alright buddy, calling me a dumbass is where I draw the line. I know how light works. Of course it is seen differently than by humans, but when light does not even reach a part of the plant at all...is it going to grow huge buds? No

Root circling is not restricting? What is it then? Have you used Smart Pots? How is airpruning restricting the roots? If they did not get pruned, they would be restricted. A plant in a regular 1 gal pot will never produce the results of a 1 Gal Smart Pot...because they get root bound. Seriously, think before you type.

slowandeasy

Veteran
I understand you wanting your lowers to get more light. I never questioned that.
I don't understand wanting your floor to get more.

It would seem like better training of the plants could avoid wasting that light... whether you remove leaves or not.

If it is hitting the floor, it has hit everything before it got there! I grow in a tent, and once penetration is gone...so is yield. The fan leaves grow back so fast, it will be shaded again in a week. The light only hits the floor for a few days. What happens if you put too many plants in your grow area? They shade each other out, less penetration, less yield. Take out a few of those plants and let them all get more light. Tell me which one is going to yield bigger and better buds?

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
If it is hitting the floor, it has hit everything before it got there! I grow in a tent, and once penetration is gone...so is yield.What happens if you put too many plants in your grow area? They shade each other out, less penetration, less yield. Take out a few of those plants and let them all get more light. Tell me which one is going to yield bigger and better buds?

No... if it is hitting the floor, it traveled in a straight line unabated from the bulb to the floor, without being blocked by any part of the plant.

Had the light hit some portion of the plant, the plant would cast a shadow on the floor.

I agree you need to train your plants according to the size of your room.
underkill and overkill are obviously no good.

I never suggested letting your plants shade each other, just the floor and walls.

obviously you're feeling defensive.
I assure I'm not attacking in any way.
I'll leave off commenting until you can have time to consider the rationality of what I am saying.

slowandeasy

Veteran
No... if it is hitting the floor, it traveled in a straight line unabated from the bulb to the floor, without being blocked by any part of the plant.

Had the light hit some portion of the plant, the plant would cast a shadow on the floor.

I agree you need to train your plants according to the size of your room.
underkill and overkill are obviously no good.

obviously you're feeling defensive.
I assure I'm not attacking in any way.
I'll leave off commenting until you can have time to consider the rationality of what I am saying.

You are right, I am defensive...because I am right! Preach all you want about wasted light. Wasted light is light never getting there in the first place. I told you, the leaves are back in a week and the light never hits the floor until I defoliate again.. By the time I harvest, the Buds are so big, it does not hit the floor and they are dense all the way down. Try to do that with a 400 watt light in a small tent. I can promise you, it is not strong enough to penetrate dense foliage all the way down if it is shaded.

You did not answer me tho. What happens when you put too many plants in your grow room? Will they produce as much as if you took out a couple and gave those quality plants more light? Same theory, excess shading equals less bud. If you even try to say I am wrong...you are really high.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
The plant isn't going to put energy into growing bud where there's no light.

For evolutionary purposes it makes sense. Why waste energy growing seeds that will likely fall into an area with very low light, significantly reducing the plant's ability to grow and thrive?

Each branch of a tree behaves independently. If you have a plant under 24 hours of light, and place a black sheet around a single branch 12 hours a day, that one branch will flower. So I don't think just having light hit the plant anywhere will affect the entire plant equally.

slowandeasy

Veteran
The plant isn't going to put energy into growing bud where there's no light.

For evolutionary purposes it makes sense. Why waste energy growing seeds that will likely fall into an area with very low light, significantly reducing the plant's ability to grow and thrive?

Each branch of a tree behaves independently. If you have a plant under 24 hours of light, and place a black sheet around a single branch 12 hours a day, that one branch will flower. So I don't think just having light hit the plant anywhere will affect the entire plant equally.

Thank you sir! Finally someone who agrees with me.

slowandeasy

Veteran
green not being hit by light is wasted green.

use what ever techniques you need to to make sure neither condition occurs, while doing as little damage as possible.

Head, I have a question for you. Lets say you have 2 rooms equal in everyway, except lights. In each room you have 1 plant, but one room has a 1000 watt light. The other has a 400 watt light. Which one will produce more bud and why?

The 1000 watt will crush the 400. Why? Penetration! Please prove me wrong, since you like to ask for proof.

JWP

We know the plants make decisions all the time to drop leaves on their own. At what point is it, if at all, advantageous for us to jump in and speed up that process?

The plant only drops the leaf once it has sucked all the energy out of it.

1. Why doesnt the plant just drop all its green leaves if it doesnt NEED them? Its sucks every last bit of energy from them, they srivel and then drop off!

Head, I have a question for you. Lets say you have 2 rooms equal in everyway, except lights. In each room you have 1 plant, but one room has a 1000 watt light. The other has a 400 watt light. Which one will produce more bud and why?

The 1000 watt will crush the 400. Why? Penetration! Please prove me wrong, since you like to ask for proof.

2. What does this light hit once it penetrates? A leaf!!!!

========================================

Stop talking sh!t and get to the proof already!

Status
Not open for further replies.