What's new

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Defoliation has been working wonders for my yield numbers the last few grows. I can defoliate once right around the time the plants stop stretching in flowering. After a week or recovery they are pumping out bud sites and going crazy. Very simple and incredibly effective.....you couldn't ask for more :tiphat:

-Funk

Tuhder

The guts of this thread, In one post.

The guts of this thread, In one post.

Hello everyone!

This was my personal notepad of this thread while reading threw the entire thing,Twice. All the writing in RED is my personal comments,descriptions and questions for posters.

I copied every post I thought was beneficial to my own personal knowledge of this technique and I also copied some posts specifically for the side by siders. This started off as a reference for me personally but as I went along, I decided to post it.

Dont want to read the whole thread? Have alot of questions? Download this PDF and read it BEFORE posting

Thanks to everyone involved!

Attachments

• k33f thread.pdf
    170.4 KB · Views: 74

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Hey!! a few members said I should check this thread out and it is amazing!!
Would anyone care to lend a hand in a question??
i just found this thread so its late in bloom now but maybe I can remove leaves??
picture.php

this in my Trainwreck at day 35 of bloom...as you can see there are tons of leaves...this pics is with the lights of..

picture.php

this is with the lights on..I have 4 T5's used for side lighting...
its really a mess but I've always thought removing leaves takes food away from the plant...the lights one thing but what about the nutrients in the leaves??
I believe in this method after seeing results so can anyone help me with these leaves??
thanks and I'll keep checking in..
I should mention there are about 30 budsites but lots of them are lower down too..
As you can see I've been tying the leaves down!!

Neo 420

Veteran
Hey!! a few members said I should check this thread out and it is amazing!!
Would anyone care to lend a hand in a question??
i just found this thread so its late in bloom now but maybe I can remove leaves??
picture.php

this in my Trainwreck at day 35 of bloom...as you can see there are tons of leaves...this pics is with the lights of..

picture.php

this is with the lights on..I have 4 T5's used for side lighting...
its really a mess but I've always thought removing leaves takes food away from the plant...the lights one thing but what about the nutrients in the leaves??
I believe in this method after seeing results so can anyone help me with these leaves??
thanks and I'll keep checking in..
I should mention there are about 30 budsites but lots of them are lower down too..
As you can see I've been tying the leaves down!!

In a nutshell, the technique offered here for defoliation involves removing the leaves while in veg and to contiune to remove the leaves during the life of the plant. Some species may not like such aggressive defoilation so monitor your ladies while doing this. In your case you can remove some leaves but expect a slight delay in progression while the plant recovers and do not remove all the leaves. You are too late to perform the defoliation mentioned here.

SuperHemp

Interesting technique, results and thread. I'm trying it. I just snipped off most the big fans and some small ones, cut off around 2/3 of leaf mass i think, i took whatever was shading new shoots being careful with the smaller leaves around the fresh shoots.

I have some C99 three weeks from seed which are very bushy and seem well suited for this method (conflicting reports in thread though?), some 2wk old blueberry dominant skunk-haze-afhgan polyhybrids which also look compact with slightly longer nodes than c99 and a bunch of GDP x Lemon Larry which all look pole shaped except for one with more indica influence.

They have not shown sex yet the C99's have tiny preflowers but it's too early to tell. Can this method influence gender? If some plants are prone to hermie, can this possibly help detect it earlier?

After sexing, would i be best off keeping the more indica structured plants for best results? I have lots of potential girls, but only room for six in flower. I'm not really in the mood for battling stretchy bitches this run either.

epicseeds

I just started practicing this on my 3 week old Blue Widow. This strain makes some super thick stems and fan leaves. When i snip off the fan leaves water literally gushes out. Is this a problem and has anyone ever experienced this?

NinjaCS

I just started practicing this on my 3 week old Blue Widow. This strain makes some super thick stems and fan leaves. When i snip off the fan leaves water literally gushes out. Is this a problem and has anyone ever experienced this?

I see this sometimes when pruning the larger fan leaves. Never had an issue. Sometimes if its a lot, i'll pinch the end of the stem which helps stop the "seeping".

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
Thanks for your reply..I knew it was too late but was wondering if any leaves could be snipped..
i am interested in trying though my next run in a few weeks so maybe I'll pop back in...
thanks again

Caille

I tried to wait til day 21 to defol. I do minor defol. at several points during the grow cycle, but I chose the 21/45 defol. plan this time. 21 days would be Wed, and I did them Monday, so day 19 (well more like 18.5 since it was like 12:30 am) they were defoliated about 50%-70% of fan leaf matter. Light penetration is now fully reached even smaller bottom buds. Plants will be checked tonight and again in 2 days to check for signs of herming. If none is noted defoliation will be repeated at about day 40.

Alexis
*smiles*

slowandeasy

Veteran
Thanks for your reply..I knew it was too late but was wondering if any leaves could be snipped..
i am interested in trying though my next run in a few weeks so maybe I'll pop back in...
thanks again

I would do a light defol every few days, since you are far along. I did that to my last crop and it worked perfectly!

TruthOrLie

Veteran
I don't get it. Some leaves show deficiency. I cut those leaves off. Now the healthy leaves, some show same deficiency. I cut those off. Plant keeps messing up its good leaves. What gives?

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I don't get it. Some leaves show deficiency. I cut those leaves off. Now the healthy leaves, some show same deficiency. I cut those off. Plant keeps messing up its good leaves. What gives?

Because you have a mobile nutrient deficiency. Your plant is removing nutrients from those 'unhealthy' leaves to feed new growth, but when you remove those leaves, the plant has to pull the same nutrients from other leaves. This cycle will continue until you diagnose and fix your nutrient deficiency.

150wclub

I tried to wait til day 21 to defol. I do minor defol. at several points during the grow cycle, but I chose the 21/45 defol. plan this time. 21 days would be Wed, and I did them Monday, so day 19 (well more like 18.5 since it was like 12:30 am) they were defoliated about 50%-70% of fan leaf matter. Light penetration is now fully reached even smaller bottom buds. Plants will be checked tonight and again in 2 days to check for signs of herming. If none is noted defoliation will be repeated at about day 40.

Alexis
*smiles*

nice, i'm going to be following this route to since i did'nt know about this thecnique till it was to late. a few people have tried this this method with good results aswell. keep us updated with pics.

k33f, i still have a couple questions.

1. on plants i have been doing this on in veg, should i wait some period of time after the last trim job before i put them into bloom, and then, if so

2. how long should i give them in bloom before i start on them. i keep reading after stretch, as well as jrosek's 21/45 method.

it didn't really seem to me you are on the 21/45 bandwagon as that was his idea, so i have to ask. i think i have to let the plants bounce back and go into bloom with alot of leaves, then wait the 21 days, but is that the plan?? thanks.

Herborizer

Veteran
The way I read it, k33ftr33s just pulls fan leaves at all times. That's the way I do it. No schedule. Whenever I am checking my garden, I pull fan leaves if I feel like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.