What's new

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have always done this and only recently have been talked out of it by my position in the MMJ industry. Previous experience did result in amazing results with super silver haze, Japanese Mikado, Lambsbread, Mothership, and Elvis strains. "Defoliation" as Keeftrees (i believe) is saying, will result in more nodes, whereas letting leaves grow will result in more leaves.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
I have always done this and only recently have been talked out of it by my position in the MMJ industry. Previous experience did result in amazing results with super silver haze, Japanese Mikado, Lambsbread, Mothership, and Elvis strains. "Defoliation" as Keeftrees (i believe) is saying, will result in more nodes, whereas letting leaves grow will result in more leaves.

Talked out of it how if you had good experience? So are you for it or against it? If for it, why stop?

Tokesome

The 10 Armageddon plants where at day21 of 12/12 I stripped virtually all leaves off of 5 of them and selective removal of essentially light blocking fan leaves on the other 5, are showing no difference yet at day 28 of 12/12. It kinda felt like the stripped plants said WTF? for a day or so, but I cant tell any significant difference yet. I`ll keep you all posted.

All looking very healthy. You can see updated pics in the last page or 2 of the thread in my signature.

Cheers, Toke ;-)

mmmcake

i did a defoliate and now there on day 36 12/12 and im getting all new side growth. should i get rid of those or keep them due to them starting to shade bud sites again?

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I defoliate around week 3-4 in flower and those bud sites just take off. The plant takes a few days to deal with it, but after that it's back to business.

I could see how much of an improvement defoliation can be when used in veg and continued into flowering.

-Funk

1quixotix

I kept my leaves in the grow room in a paper bag, once they were picked. As they decomposed they let off CO2. I never had any problems with mold or anything. Circle of life kind of thinking I suppose. Great thread.
--One more vote for moving from the hydro section--

huntingbb

Speed Queen
picture.php

Blueberry. The colas are tightening up!
picture.php

Speed queen on the front left. Blueberrys everywhere else
picture.php

picture.php

Goddamn beautiful!!! Looking fine my man
:laughing:

However... even tho i stole the last update from your thread plz forgive... its inspirational~

blowin

no to defoliation why take its energy. try a grow or a plant where you dont take off any leaves. just ones that are affected or dead. leave good leafs and compare taste!

Fat J

Dude, i used to do it that way, using good practices, DF has not changed my buds taste, quality or anything, just more quantity with less trimming and less popcorn. It works for me better than leavin em alone.

greenwithenvy

Veteran
Ive removed fans in veg and flower. Ive learned that removing them in flower lead mine to grow alot of smaller leaves. I only defoliate in veg now. It also made no effect on smoke for me. There's a sticky for this very thead call Defoliation. Some people say to never do it some people say always do it. There have been alot of side by sides done to prove that no harm or foul is done with this technique.

darrmann

Ok heres the layout of when i defoiliated. All thru veg looked great. Put them into 12/12 and they were so bushy after week 1 i trimmed half then week 2 trimmed other half. Then on day 30 did a final heavy defoliation. Well after that seems my hairs started prematurly going red. now its on start of 6th week and they seem to be getting new white hairs thank god, altho one strain much more slowly. Do you think I shocked them with the last deoliation? Is this extending my flower time? Kinda hope so because they know look like there growing again. And i figured out really not good to trim till after 3 weeks. But the ones trimmed in second week seem to have strectched a little to much, any suggestions on that stretch?

Fat J

Hmm... did u change anything else? Did u drop ur EC for ur nute solution after DF in bloom? <Hugely important

Also if its a sativa, many sativas ripen in waves... I usually get new hairs pushin at week 6 neway tho...

darrmann

Hmm... did u change anything else? Did u drop ur EC for ur nute solution after DF in bloom? <Hugely important

Also if its a sativa, many sativas ripen in waves... I usually get new hairs pushin at week 6 neway tho...

nothing changed, I see know signs of nute burn . didnt really realize the need to drop. Its in soil also. it happened my last grow to and its really confusing. seems to havr made them stop growing for the last 2 weeks. They were looking ahead of schedule at that point. using canna nutes bio line and using there bloom nutes.
growing grand daddy purps and strawberry.

S

staff11

Well I did this on two different plants. Not sure what the results will be, however just like topping, the plants do have a slight recovery period because the plant I did not touch has grown quite a bit more then the plant I ripped the leaves off of in a weeks time. If this increases yields but takes another month or so to finish the plants off I am just not sure how much you are actually gaining. And I am not knocking the technique, just reporting back what i have seen with my plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.