What's new

Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bassy59

Well if your into crazy ideas this thread is the perfect place for you, it defies logic & reason.

You dont even defoliate so instead of pointing the finger and crying flamer why dont you just stfu, sit back and enjoy the show?...

So defoliators its been 2 years, the thread is named "Defoliation: Hi-Yield Technique" and its stckied. Clearly endorsed as credible information by ICMAG.

Where is this magical defoliated plant that yeilds more than a plant left on its own?

You had a whole forum created just for you defoliators to show the world your side by side. But not even a single plant. Whats the go?

I may be the newbie but one thing is for sure. I read the entire fucking thread and COUNTLESS times it was mentioned, quite logically I might add, that side by side CAN NOT BE FUCKING DONE! Why? The non defoliated plant will out grow in height the defoliated. Now JWP can you fucking figure out what that means?

Yet you REFUSE to accept the pics of numerous people (delta9 comes to mind) that showed the results of defoliating and comparing it to previous same strain same type grows that they have done for years.

Defoliating may not be for you. And that's fine. But unless you can show PROOF it UNEQUIVOCALLY does NOT work, you should probably ask more questions with an open mind, possibly learn something, and accept the EXPERIENCE of others as just that. THEIR EXPERIENCE with the technique.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
..... I might add, that side by side CAN NOT BE FUCKING DONE! Why? The non defoliated plant will out grow in height the defoliated. Now JWP can you fucking figure out what that means?

erm, perhaps putting some books or something under the shorter plant's pot/bucket to bring it up to the same height ? or if you are in a hydro and cant then some lst on the taller plant?

anything else standing in the way of a decent side by side?

Bassy59

hi bassy, aggressive defol isnt really my thing full stop, i was just saying that if you want short plants with nodes close together then vegging under LED is one way to do it.
my canopies are incredibly dense and i do minimal to no defol - just removing leaves that are right in the way of a budsite. i found my 'high yield technique' more than 20 years ago, and it's modular scrog. i get yields of up to 1.6 gpw, rarely under 1 gpw.
im very dubious about aggressive defol but ive never tried it and probably never will so im not in a position to categorically say that it doesnt work. so good luck to anyone who tries it but dont be convinced that it's the best method till you've tried some others too. the fact that leaves grow back when you cut them off is pretty amazing - but it proves nothing imo.
my NON defol scrog. 250w hps. the tubes are UV t5's
picture.php

VG

Very nice yields VG. Impressive for sure. I'm getting near harvest on my first ever grow. LED from seed, 600w, RDWC, AK48, 7 plants (my state limit). I have no idea how much I will yield. Yet I know I will not get 1gpw. I would be thrilled with .75gpw for my first grow and probably wont see that. Though my girls are roughly 36" tall, and cover 3/4 of my 4x4 tent.

I dont want to do soil grows in my house, so hydro is it. And I didnt want to start out as a newcomer doing nft and fast 12/12 and those systems were expensive as well as to get what I need would require going way over state limit. I sure as hell didnt want to pay $450 for an ebb & flow which I feel is a huge ripoff on about $8 worth of plastic.

I may end up doing more along the lines of sog type grows in the future, who knows. For the meantime I plan on completing my current grow, then taking probably 6 of 8 clones I have going that have been heavily defoliated and putting them into a 6 pot RDWC that I will build now that I understand the systems better. My hope is to get over 1gpw which using this method seems pretty doable from the reports. I do have a high quality LED so that wont be an issue.

I don't believe I will ever be so opinionated to say x is the best method no matter what that method is, as some others have insinuated. I do however hope to always be able to accept that any given method is doable when it comes from the experience of others before me.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey bassy that sounds cool, you're right its good to be open minded and keef who started the thread was getting high yields for sure. he said the best thing about the method was that it kept plants compact and stopped one plant taking over all the space. there are quite a few methods to do that and each of us has to find the one that works for us.

enjoy that first harvest!

VG

Bassy59

Btw, I can't say LED lends more to closer nodes already. My grow that's in flower now has nodes anywhere from 2-4" apart.

But my clones which have been defoliated twice now are 1/2"-1" apart. This means I obviously must train them outwards. Which I have done, and the entire canopy is even at roughly 10" high. That means all the out side trained lower branches too are at the 10" canopy or very close.

Edit: here's some pics of clones 5 mins ago.

Attachments

• PB280047.jpg
    PB280047.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 12
  • PB280049.jpg
    PB280049.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 13
  • PB280048.jpg
    PB280048.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 20

bs0

and here is after a pluck:

I still believe in defol for crowded conditions (similar to your initial pics)... Since your plants are in veg this should be fine but never pluck like that during flower. In flower wait until the end of the stretch and just pluck to the point you can see light getting through to the bottom (not lots, just some). Everything I have done for the past year or so points to that as being the tipping point. Much light hitting the floor = bad light efficiency.

Just got out of my room after an hour of leaf pruning. Still more to do, but that's the problem of having lights @ 5'-0".

I'll post more pics again one of these days. Still pulling 20+zips per 600w using this technique. I have gone from 10 plants per rack to two larger plants with no reduction in yield. Best rack so far was a 30z monster... Defol works. It's all a matter of light utilization and maximizing crowded conditions.

nvthis

You dont even defoliate so instead of pointing the finger and crying flamer why dont you just stfu, sit back and enjoy the show?...

Like trying to talk to a 5 year old..

JWP, dry up. No one gives a shit what you think.. Need proof? You come here, flame, and yet the sticky lives on... Pathetic...

Dude, you're a flamer. There's no denying this fact. Just accept it and move on...

However, I doubt this will even shut you tfu, so I'll step aside and you can continue to beat off your ego.. But I'll tell ya, this thread ain't what's wrong with IC, bro. It's ignorant selfrightous shitheads like you.

Bassy59

I still believe in defol for crowded conditions (similar to your initial pics)... Since your plants are in veg this should be fine but never pluck like that during flower. In flower wait until the end of the stretch and just pluck to the point you can see light getting through to the bottom (not lots, just some). Everything I have done for the past year or so points to that as being the tipping point. Much light hitting the floor = bad light efficiency.

Just got out of my room after an hour of leaf pruning. Still more to do, but that's the problem of having lights @ 5'-0".

I'll post more pics again one of these days. Still pulling 20+zips per 600w using this technique. I have gone from 10 plants per rack to two larger plants with no reduction in yield. Best rack so far was a 30z monster... Defol works. It's all a matter of light utilization and maximizing crowded conditions.

Having read this entire thread I know I wont clean em out during flower and nothing at all till after stretch. Hopefully I can make myself pluck enough to see the top of the tub.

2 plants? How big is your grow area may I ask?

@ Bassy59. Nice one mate, keep us updated. I'd love to see how the structure on your defolied crop develops in a week or two. After you defol, do you drop the nutes for a few days? I find that it's best to. I think that learning from the plants+experience is the best way to go about this advanced technique :)

N

Nondual

I never did the defoliation like many are talking about but did this instead...

2 weeks into flower after I pruned...
picture.php

...and ended up like this...
picture.php

...and this is a side shot of the canopy as I cut into it...
picture.php

I got really aggressive..i hope it works out for the best.

first pic is before

Attachments

• LEAF PLUCKING AT 32 DAYS 001.jpg
    LEAF PLUCKING AT 32 DAYS 001.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 24
  • LEAF PLUCKING AT 32 DAYS 002.jpg
    LEAF PLUCKING AT 32 DAYS 002.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 19
  • LEAF PLUCKING AT 32 DAYS 005.jpg
    LEAF PLUCKING AT 32 DAYS 005.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 17
  • LEAF PLUCKING AT 32 DAYS 006.jpg
    LEAF PLUCKING AT 32 DAYS 006.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 15
  • LEAF PLUCKING AT 32 DAYS 004.jpg
    LEAF PLUCKING AT 32 DAYS 004.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 16

Dickkhead

can someone please post a pic of defoliated and not defoliated! why are people removing just the leave and leaving the stem of it? sorry new to this thread just had a few questions and dont fell like scrolling 192 pages to find it. thanks

N

Nondual

Nice post Nondual. So in your experience, are you glad you defolied? Do you think you have increased your yield?
What I did was a one time trim 2 weeks into flower and not constant plucking. It may have increased my yield a bit but at the least improved the quality of my yield meaning more better quality buds. That may be more with the strain I grew though.

Bassy59

What I did was a one time trim 2 weeks into flower and not constant plucking. It may have increased my yield a bit but at the least improved the quality of my yield meaning more better quality buds. That may be more with the strain I grew though.

That's actually way away from the way that's talked about doing it here. You don't want to pluck while they are in stretch in flower.
It's suggested to wait till the end of stretch upteen times in this thread. Then again around 45 days. But in reality the thread speaks of starting in veg too. Even though many folks have seen very nice yields starting at the end of stretch.

By not following the parameters or even close, then giving so-so results, you not only do the theory an injustice, you give all the naysayers more credence, and you see how volatile those bastards are already.

Elsweeto

That's my experience of it too. The quality of the lower bud is far better.
I don't de-fol until the stretch is finished, and after that I'm careful only to pluck leaves from the centre of the plant.
Leaving fan leaves that don't block light i.e fan leaves on the outside of Kolas (colas I'm not sure of the spelling) combine this with flowering cuttings and you can get 10/12 fat kolas with minimum training:dance013:.
That's my tuppence anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.