What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Defoliation Experiment on NYCD

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
NYCD harvested at 90 days - non-defoliated plants - harvested

NYCD harvested at 90 days - defoliated plants - harvested

Continued in the next post.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
NYCD harvested at 90 days - defoliated plants - harvested

NYCD harvested at 90 days - defoliated plants - drying

I forgot to take pictures with non-defoliated plants hanged for drying. :biggrin:

Next week I will post the final update on this grow: dry weight.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
non defo for the win!

natures way always the best way baby!

I swear some techniques are just out there to keep people from really achieving the best.

Non defo girls look fatter

weedtoker

Veteran
From the looks, non-defo is probable going to win. Still, would like to see a side by side like this, but in tight spaces where plants are overcrowding the room, or with more indica dom. plants, as the non defo plants never really looked like they need to be cleaned.

Enjoy the smoke, and if you care to, please report on both.

Classic Seeds

Veteran
thanks hempfields for going to all this trouble of posting and staying with the project . I notice a lot of people criticizing and saying you should have done this or that this way .all I can say to anyone who wants to do another side by side a little different way please do I know I will watch your efforts here same as I did hempfields . thanks a lot for the time and trouble bro your efforts are apprecieated aloha cls

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
After one week of drying I have the final weights :

For defoliated plants :
1) 7.6 grams
2) 7.8 grams
3) 8.2 grams
-------------------
Def Total = 23.6 grams

For non-defoliated plants:
1) 13.5 grams
2) 13.9 grams
3) 14.2 grams
--------------------
Non-def Total = 41.6 grams

Total weight = 65.2 grams

I discovered some mold in the upper buds of the biggest non-defoliated plant and I had to remove ~2g of affected flowers.

The aroma is extremely strong, with strong an delicious ripe grapefruit flavor.

I will try a smoke report in a couple of weeks, after some proper curing in the refrigerator.

I want to thank you guys for following this long grow. Everybody can learn (hopefully) something useful from this small experiment :tiphat:

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Well, defoliated ones are almost half o the non-def ones so that should say a lot about defoliation. congrats on finishing this side by side. can't wait for the smokereports.

And now, anyone that still considers defoliation can he helpful should also do an unbiased side by side and show it to us.

Later.edit: Forgot to ask! Do you consider some of them were more ripen at harvest time? Any delay on the defoliated ones?

Last edited:

DrFever

Veteran
Holy crap that is almost double weight with non defoiled
i am guessing that some of the firm defoilators lol think there doing better by rapeing the plants leafs as to get light to lower bud sites ??? And for the life of me i just don't get it let me think here your light is hanging at 5 feet your plants tops are lets say 18 - 20 " more like 20- 24" from plant from the light source so this leaves you what ???? 3 feet so lets rape the plant so light can start getting to them buds 3 1/2 feet - 4 feet away from light source Hmmmmmm well lets take a look at the picture here i know its lumen chart not PAR but look at the very bottom of the page number 36 that is 36" from light source SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE this tells me you be better off cutting that crap off yup them buds will never be as good as the top buds so with raping your plant leafs not only in my books but in most horticulture is plain stupid CAUSE them lower buds will be larf mostly due to inefficient light and that is why most veteran growers will prune lower branches and keep removing lower buds as them buds will continue to suck up important carbs / nutrients which should all go to the production zone

Attachments

• HPS dist chart.jpg
    HPS dist chart.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 50

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Thanks for doing this side by side OP. Ive enjoyed reading through it.Your results pretty much summed up what I expected would happen when I began reading.

Whether Ive removed a fan leaf on purpose or by accident, Its always resulted in slower growth and smaller buds for the affected node.

With that said, what defoliator is gonna do a side by side grow and show us results to the contrary?

Last edited:

Big D

icmagic
Veteran
Great job hempfield! Sorry you ended up a 1/4 light on yield but hopefully the smoke will be killer. good show!

blooper

awesome. glad to see a side by side. i recently visited with an older grower and she swore up and down that defoliation is the only way to grow. might have to challenge her to do her own side by side. she might be happy to eat crow if it means twice the harvest lol

Apache Kush

After one week of drying I have the final weights :

For defoliated plants :
1) 7.6 grams
2) 7.8 grams
3) 8.2 grams
-------------------
Def Total = 23.6 grams

For non-defoliated plants:
1) 13.5 grams
2) 13.9 grams
3) 14.2 grams
--------------------
Non-def Total = 41.6 grams

Total weight = 65.2 grams

I discovered some mold in the upper buds of the biggest non-defoliated plant and I had to remove ~2g of affected flowers.

The aroma is extremely strong, with strong an delicious ripe grapefruit flavor.

I will try a smoke report in a couple of weeks, after some proper curing in the refrigerator.

I want to thank you guys for following this long grow. Everybody can learn (hopefully) something useful from this small experiment :tiphat:

Wow great job
bump

devilgoob

Veteran
These types of strains are north-bred. This happens because they grow fast, can't canopy out and do the whole fancy leaf die-off thing. The same reason a plant doesn't overgrow itself, and cover it's own leaves, is the same reason why a plant buds better when it finds it is root-bound.It senses it's area, so that when root-space, or the nitrogen isn't supporting it so well, it finds it is time to flower before it takes up all its resources just to grow vegetative manner and produces more of itself at a lower quality, vs creating small buds that will for sure produce offspring. This is also, like I said, why high N creates less buds. The plant is thinking, while I am at it, first I will grow out the plant so I have many nodes, then I will flower. That will make more seeds. But if it finds that it is low on N, time to flower, can't produce that green matter fast enough, use all soil toward a small sure plant, vs a mess that can't support its own growth.

He did an awesome job and nailed it.

blooper

i'd love to see a side by side showing that defoliating increases yield compared to allowing fan leaves to do their job.

J

johndoe123

It really depends on your growing method and size of plants whether defoliating is a go or not. I know for a fact it works for me... I grow 4 plants in a 5000 watt enviroment with the bulbs hanging vertical like this
XOX
OXO
XOX
Without major defoliation at least 3 times during preflower mid flower all the interior bud site stay shaded and will not develop. This was my 29 oz c99 from 2012
attachment.php

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Great looking plant and very good harvest on it, but did you tried no defoliation in that set-up too? Or how do you know it works?

@JointOperation: It's not nice to come and bash a grower that tried his best and did the first side by side def vs non-def. Even if you are right, still not nice. But I'd like to see it done before I can agree with you.

Last edited: