What's new

Deer Pervention??

50+ntokin

Spread Milwaukee's finest around and in your grow plots. Milorganite can be found at Home Depot, Lowes and Bachmans in the US. It is processed sewage and is a fertilizer. It has worked 98% of the time for all my gardens over the last 15 years.. The deer won't even visit my sweet corn. It works for me and I really don't have a shitty disposition either.

G

The deer repellant products didn't work for me. I had one location where i had replanted 3x already. I replanted and drenched the plants with deer away. 5 of my 7 plant were eaten within the first 60 minutes after application and before the liquid was dry on the plant. Its useless for my deer.

PLEASE DONT TAKE MONOFILIMENT FISHING LINE ANYWHERE IN YOUR ENVIROMENT for any reason unless youre fishing, and then take home every inch you brought.!!! fishing is my second love in life and I havent been fishing in 30 years that i didnt have to untangle that nasty shit from around the propeller, birds, fish,.........Edit;

I need to be more diplomatic. Abondoned fishing line has a terrible impact on wildlife. Ive seen gators eat birds that were tangeled in it and the gator choke to death because it was wrapped around his jaws, innerds and hanging out his ass. If injested by a small mammal such as a skunk or racoon, it gets wrapped up in their gut and when they shit it hangs out their ass. As soon as it catches on something, the animal pulls and jerks trying to free itself sinching it's guts up with the line. To many times ive heard the screams of an animal thats not dead yet and has pulled its guts out its ass trying to get free. Even if its able to chew free it dies because of the damage.

Circulation gets cut off when a deer gets a piece wrapped around a foot or leg and the limb rots until the animal dies. The limb swells and bursts at first, then begins to rot. The animal suffers.

If you believe in the circle of life, leaving fishing line in nature will cost you some serious karma points.

sorry for the soap box.

G

Does anyone know if there is an electric fence model that works off batteries? I know they make models that work from a 12" solar panel but "D" batteries?

It would only require one thin strand hidden in the weeds. It only takes one contact for a cow or deer to steer a wide path around it. You could remove all but the single wire after the first week or 2 and they still wont touch it even with the power source removed.

Morpheen

Does anyone know if there is an electric fence model that works off batteries? I know they make models that work from a 12" solar panel but "D" batteries?

It would only require one thin strand hidden in the weeds. It only takes one contact for a cow or deer to steer a wide path around it. You could remove all but the single wire after the first week or 2 and they still wont touch it even with the power source removed.

I'm sure you can rig something, but I'm thinking more like a car battery or 2 wired in series, with decent amperage. Although its DC current (much worse shock than AC) I don't see "D" batteries having near enough juice to be effective. But that is just an electrician's opinion. If you come up with anymore info on the DC route and need some guidence, E-mail me at [email protected]

:joint:Dutch

Electric Fence Chargers - Battery-Powered. Hmm I like that idea and already found some on the web for a fair price. Takes care of stone deer in my plots and is enviromentally friendly.

Used to be a standard piece of equipment for pastures way out in the boonies with no alternating current. I suspect they've been pretty much replaced by solar panel models, but somebody probably still makes them. Why not a solar powered one, probably saves $$ in the long run.
A tip : when running your electric fence put small pieces of tape or rag on the fence. Deer aren't rocket scientists, they think the small pieces are what's doing the stinging. If it is during poor light times, they see the pieces better than the thin wire. Drawback is that humans see it better too.
Nothing is foolproof.

hmm... so no fishing line but lets shock the animals with batteries.. D batteries will not be able to complete a circuit for very long so i dont think that would be a viable option. i see what your saying silverback but at the same time fishing line cant be seen from the air, its light, if its 100lb test you will be able to collect it when your done. this is a war we are fighting, we are guerillas, and if i see some deer eating my plants, its 187 on Bambi

Morpheen

hmm... so no fishing line but lets shock the animals with batteries.. D batteries will not be able to complete a circuit for very long so i dont think that would be a viable option. i see what your saying silverback but at the same time fishing line cant be seen from the air, its light, if its 100lb test you will be able to collect it when your done. this is a war we are fighting, we are guerillas, and if i see some deer eating my plants, its 187 on Bambi

:biglaugh: Now thats Guerrilla warfare

I'm going with chicken wire and planting [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Arial, Helvetica]Eucalyptus around the outside perimeter as stated in the "Sticky" "[/FONT]What Plants Hide MJ Best?"

:joint: Dutch