What's new

Deep Chunk

q3corn

I'm inclined to agree with Pineapple on that. Since it's an IBL and the source is trusted, I'd go for the cheaper option

frostqueen

Just a head's up that I will be submitting a detailed grow log of KOS Deep Chunk in the coming weeks. Lots of pictures. I feel confident now that these are indeed real-deal Deep Chunks, so I might as well document them, eh?

I will come back here and post a link when it happens.

q3corn

Just a head's up that I will be submitting a detailed grow log of KOS Deep Chunk in the coming weeks. Lots of pictures. I feel confident now that these are indeed real-deal Deep Chunks, so I might as well document them, eh?

I will come back here and post a link when it happens.
Yes! Thank you I look forward to it!

Tynehead Tom

I won some atomic NL5 x tom hill deep chunk beans in auction before seedbay went down. They were made by a good friend of Verdant Greens.

The chunk is very strong in these.
I took them to F3, selecting on the deep chunk side and released them to a bank in Michigan for a charity fundraiser. I called it Chunk D Hashplant.
well worth a look thru those , some of the Michigan grown outdoor of this line produced some really nice hearty plants. Quality and stable genetics.... I don't dick around ;)

ElGato

Veteran
Overpriced in my eyes with 125$ per pack, better go with the other 2 links icon has posted. As Deep Chunk is a IBL since a long time there is not much work to invest to reproduce Seeds, so 125$ is too much...

Don't know, but don't think even Tom Hill wanted 125$ per pack when he released them back then.

I agree, i'm pretty sure I paid $40 for a pack from Tom Hill back in 2010? or so. Maybe i'm wrong?

mj

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I disagree to some extent about the IBL bit.

TomHill would tell you that the super frosty keeper plants were MAYBE 5 out of 100. The males the same. Unless you dropped 100 seeds for that reproduction, then you did not even take the suggestions of the man himself. 200 would give you the option of 100 males and 100 females, theoretically, you have the ability to make a GOOD selection upon which to make a reproduction.

I'm not sure if any of the above links can say or do say the number of seeds that were used to make selections. I honestly feel if a "breeder" isn't sharing that sort of information, then they are hiding something.

That's not to say luck of the draw exists and you can sprout 10 seeds and get the one, but the main point is to be able to see a bigger population so you have the ability to discern what is or is not a viable candidate for carrying the seed line forward in a way that either improves it or actually retains it's qualities.

Just wanted to put a different perspective on things.

@ElGato - the $40 a pack was for Deep Chunk x Haze F2s - if I remember correctly. If you got Deep Chunk for $40 - you got a deal!!!!

dank.Frank

Tynehead Tom

with the Chunk D I made a large batch of F2 of the NL5 x Deep Chunk. Then I started popping seeds. After seeing about 120 to 140 plants and making selections, I split the line into a "deep chunk" line and a "berry" line. I don't know if Deep Chunk is a true IBL but whatever it is , it dominates and becomes quite easy to select
The next set was to F3 both of those lines. I kept the berry line separate and unreleased but the Chunk D (deep chunk dominant) I decided to drop for a certain bank's fundraising efforts for fallen farmers (dansbuds, Milo, ect)
There are grow threads out there, just not on icmag.
For breeding material alone..... the Chunk D would be a good place to start if you already have a deep chunk dominant line to cross it with.

ElGato

Veteran
@ElGato - the $40 a pack was for Deep Chunk x Haze F2s - if I remember correctly. If you got Deep Chunk for $40 - you got a deal!!!!

dank.Frank

they may not have been $40, but they couldn't have been much more than that because I am a cheap sonofabitch, I wouldn't have bought them lol

mj

3rd-3yed

Veteran
they may not have been $40, but they couldn't have been much more than that because I am a cheap sonofabitch, I wouldn't have bought them lol

mj

Tom's gear was around 60$ for DC and X-18 packs, the Haze was maybe a bit more expensive.

kamyo

Veteran
Here's one of my DC from KOS about 2 weeks in veg. Out of 6 seeds, one never really got started and was culled. Another is still behind the others, but is doing well, and 4 are pretty close to this one in terms of looks. 2 of the 4 similar looking ones are a bit lankier between the soil and cotyledons and required support for a week or so. Will top soon and veg out long enough to get some branches going to take a cutting before putting them into flower.
picture.php

frostqueen

I'll have some more pics of my ten KOS DCs in a couple days. I just passed 7 weeks in veg, and clones were taken last week. I'm not rushing them due to other projects taking up space. They got huge so I took off a lot of the fan leaves.

Four females have already shown themselves without any light reduction, though, so there's that.

frostqueen

Okay, just a quick update: I flipped the 10 seedlings to 12/12. I took clones of each and they all had roots in 9 days, so... nice!

I now have 5 females and 2 males showing. 3 are still still undifferentiated. I'm sure the flip to 12/12 will inspire them to get sexy.

I'm taking lots of pics for the journal entry, so stay tuned for that if you are interested. I'll link to it here when I get it sorted and posted. It's a harvest week so I'm a bit busy. There will be close-ups of all individuals as they flower, though. I don't want to clutter up this thread too much more, so a journal seems best.

TP-grower

Hi there :tiphat:
I ve 4 DC s (fron 4 Seeds="Freak Chunk" /=Therapy Seeds ordered fron Kwikseeds) at run,-they grow well till now :biggrin:(=ca 1 month+ old)
Today I take 2 cuttings /-every Plant.+I popped a Monkey-Balls(=Hazeman Seeds)with the 4 DC seeds,-this MB sould be a DC*DC selektion(=Description),-but what I read about = it s aDC-Hybriyd!

I never bevore grew a DC,-I was ony getting a cut of a DC male and make a few F1 with....
But this male was not the best:=He was very slowly in Veg/grow stage !-He was in of one of the last Seedpacks at seedsbotique and the germination rate of my friend was realy horrible!-So it seems to the seeds was old/because of bad storrage at SB I think
Greetings to all DC lovers and good grow (-Best organic,-better with Terra-Preta:laughing:)

G

Hi there :tiphat:
I ve 4 DC s (fron 4 Seeds="Freak Chunk" /=Therapy Seeds ordered fron Kwikseeds) at run,-they grow well till now :biggrin:(=ca 1 month+ old)
Today I take 2 cuttings /-every Plant.+I popped a Monkey-Balls(=Hazeman Seeds)with the 4 DC seeds,-this MB sould be a DC*DC selektion(=Description),-but what I read about = it s aDC-Hybriyd!

I never bevore grew a DC,-I was ony getting a cut of a DC male and make a few F1 with....
But this male was not the best:=He was very slowly in Veg/grow stage !-He was in of one of the last Seedpacks at seedsbotique and the germination rate of my friend was realy horrible!-So it seems to the seeds was old/because of bad storrage at SB I think
Greetings to all DC lovers and good grow (-Best organic,-better with Terra-Preta:laughing:)

Deep chunk is a slow in veg.:tiphat:

ngakpa

Veteran
i've found a plant very sensitive to root heating (not pictured here)...not very pot friendly, prefered to have it's roots growing straight into the earth, as it's roots touches the walls of the containes stresses and starts to throw variegated leaves, strange uh? someone found something similar?

interesting!

unworked landraces also generally hate to be in pots, and will often react to the stress by popping male flowers

never seen variegated leaves as a stress response, really interesting

Latest posts

Latest posts