What's new

Deep Chunk

OZZ_

Veteran
It's also a "bait and switch" tactic: you think you're getting the real deal, but you end up getting a spin off. When you know they're being dishonest with their photo, it's a gamble to trust them and buy their gear.

I guess I can see both sides of that argument, I feel that seeing the actual stock, especially in the case of deep chunk, is important as DC is a very easy plant to spot

meizzwang

Got this questionable "deep chunk" blooming. When the resin glands first started developing, the smells weren't very impressive. Now that leaves are starting to get frostly, I can smell a deep coffee/skunky aroma with a sweet background to it, smells delicious! Started early June and never topped, these are a little more than 2 meters tall now.

Finally got a response from my contact and found out these seeds were actually from monkey balls via h@zem@n seeds. The description to the monkey balls listing says it was created by selfing an F1 selection of deep chunk, implying tom hill created deep chunk via an outcross. Seems not very credible to me: the deep chunk plants shown in this thread are very uniform, short, fat, squat, low yielding, very leafy, and consistently have the frosty leaf curl trait.

Now that I've grown this plant long enough, I suspect the breeder outcrossed it with something and then inbred that line to find a select plant (maybe he "dutch passioned" it. ie. DP outcrossed durban poison with another plant, selfed/selected it several generations and called their hybrid durban poison even though it was some sort of durban poison hybrid). These plants have way too much vigor, stretch, and yield to be the real deal. I'm a bit disappointed that it's probably not the real deal. That doesn't mean this isn't a good hybrid if that's what it turns out to be, but it seems to be a misleading, deceptive offering.
One plant is really "leaf curl dominant," which is the main trait I was after. I can't imagine these plants being low yield, we'll see what happens:
48644067117_fe15f78381_c.jpg

Here's the leaf curl trait:
48643929981_59669e97f2_c.jpg

Two phenotypes in this batch: taller, vigorous plants, and shorter, bushy ones like this. They all pretty much smell the same: very low odor at this stage:
48643572243_623225f3dd_c.jpg

The giant leaves and the leaf curl trait suggests deep chunk is in it, but the rest of the traits suggest this is a hybrid:
48643927846_7f974d85e2_c.jpg

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
Got this questionable "deep chunk" blooming. When the resin glands first started developing, the smells weren't very impressive. Now that leaves are starting to get frostly, I can smell a deep coffee/skunky aroma with a sweet background to it, smells delicious! Started early June and never topped, these are a little more than 2 meters tall now.

Finally got a response from my contact and found out these seeds were actually from monkey balls via h@zem@n seeds. The description to the monkey balls listing says these are an F1 selection of deep chunk. As mentioned earlier in this thread, if deep chunk seeds were created via an F1 cross, they are no longer deep chunk by definition, they're a deep chunk hybrid. The listing is highly suspicious to me.

Now that I've grown this plant long enough, I suspect the breeder outcrossed it with something and then inbred that line to find a select plant (he "dutch passioned" it. ie. DP outcrossed durban poison and then selfed it several generations and called their hybrid durban poison even though it was some sort of durban poison hybrid). These plants have way too much vigor, stretch, and yield to be the real deal. I'm a bit disappointed that it's probably not the real deal. That doesn't mean this isn't a good hybrid if that's what it turns out to be, but it seems to be a misleading, deceptive offering.
One plant is really "leaf curl dominant," which is the main trait I was after. I can't imagine these plants being low yield, we'll see what happens:
View Image

Here's the leaf curl trait:
View Image

Two phenotypes in this batch: taller, vigorous plants, and shorter, bushy ones like this. They all pretty much smell the same: very low odor at this stage:
View Image

The giant leaves and the leaf curl trait suggests deep chunk is in it, but the rest of the traits suggest this is a hybrid:
View Image

Definitely looks like a hybrid, very disappointing too as I got a few of hazeman monkey balls as freebies and I was kind of banking on them to be the real deal. Come to think of it, I also have his “The Madness” which is supposed to be a pre ‘98 bubba kush X ‘88 G13/HP... I was banking on those being legit too but now I’m not to certain I could/can trust that either.

Here they are right before I chopped them:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

G

Deep chunk from gifted seeds from a member on here :tiphat:

Attachments

• large.46640DSC00712.JPG.ec2757caa34f3bc398bf0bfcec55dfd8.JPG
    large.46640DSC00712.JPG.ec2757caa34f3bc398bf0bfcec55dfd8.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 27
  • large.46640DSC00716.JPG.a7ed0f1bebe90fad2f853d80ea86fafb.JPG
    large.46640DSC00716.JPG.a7ed0f1bebe90fad2f853d80ea86fafb.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 25
G

Baby deep chunk:tiphat:

Attachments

• large_dc.JPG.90c8c8a8dbd1b0661d58ea4821204d76.JPG
    large_dc.JPG.90c8c8a8dbd1b0661d58ea4821204d76.JPG
    10.4 KB · Views: 18

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a small deepchunk going outside about 12" i thought it was a male & put it outside ended up female lol so i hit some lower buds with a very skunky berry smelling Blueberry male so im still happy. It gets direct sun most of the day its been hot & humid but no signs of mold to my surprise & no bugs not even the grasshoppers i see on my other plants close by, yield looks better outside then growing it indoors for sure, smell is lightly sweet earthy incense & citrus im looking forward to it being done most likely end of September.
picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
G

thanks for those pics Dr feelzgood! How's was the aroma, flavor, and high?

Chocolate, coffee earthy deep rich smell to the buds flavours are strong and more or less match how the buds smell the smoke coats your mouth for ages
The high is more hash like and made you frown with a heavy brow almost immediately and gives a nice warm and dreamy feeling the smoke fills the room and seems to stick to everything and lingers in the atmosphere for an age.
I need to crack out some of my old seed and see if they will germinate.
:tiphat:

Happy Times

Definitely looks like a hybrid, very disappointing too as I got a few of hazeman monkey balls as freebies and I was kind of banking on them to be the real deal. Come to think of it, I also have his “The Madness” which is supposed to be a pre ‘98 bubba kush X ‘88 G13/HP... I was banking on those being legit too but now I’m not to certain I could/can trust that either.

Here they are right before I chopped them:

View Image

View Image

View Image

Wow, nice work- like the fade and looks like really beefy headies there. Donkey Dicks comes to mind haha
All different seed plants?

Cloneman

Veteran
I got DC beans with others free from Tom H in 2004, slow in veg, hard to clone and a shit yield. But a lovely smoke and exactly detailed below

Chocolate, coffee earthy deep rich smell to the buds flavours are strong and more or less match how the buds smell the smoke coats your mouth for ages
The high is more hash like and made you frown with a heavy brow almost immediately and gives a nice warm and dreamy feeling the smoke fills the room and seems to stick to everything and lingers in the atmosphere for an age.
I need to crack out some of my old seed and see if they will germinate.
:tiphat:

When i described it back then it was " tastes/smells like a cappuccino, smoke makes me warm and fuzzy like being back in the womb again"
Will try to find a pic from then

meizzwang

Regarding "monkey balls," which is claimed to be an unhybridized selection of Deep Chunk, as the resin glands are starting to mature, the aromas are becoming more pronounced from one plant to the next. Out of 3 individuals, there's one that has the most leaf curl dominance, and this plant has the deepest, earthiest aroma out of the rest. It's the taller phenotype. The second tall phenotype looks almost identical, except leaf curl is less prominent and the aroma is earthy but not as aromatic. The third individual, which is the short, bulky pheno, has very little leaf curl, and the aroma is very sweet with less earthy/skunky tones to it.

I'll try to take better pics, but here's the "best" individual of monkey balls aka supposedly Deep Chunk. This is the one that has the most dankest, earthiest, skunkiest coffee-like aroma to it with a background of sweetness, absolutely mouth watering! The coffee/earthy aroma reminds me of holy grail kush except much louder and without any lemony terps. This individual pictured below also has the most leaf curling trait out of the rest. More and more resinous leaves start to curl as they mature:
48672947588_76538b5d10_c.jpg

48673455127_1808eff774_c.jpg

OZZ_

Veteran
Wow, nice work- like the fade and looks like really beefy headies there. Donkey Dicks comes to mind haha
All different seed plants?

Hey there HT. Yes those were all from a pack of standard “The madness” seeds from Hazeman. Organic soil in 3 gallon pots under a 600w hps in a 3’x3’

Cloneman

Veteran
I got DC beans with others free from Tom H in 2004, slow in veg, hard to clone and a shit yield. But a lovely smoke and exactly detailed below

When i described it back then it was " tastes/smells like a cappuccino, smoke makes me warm and fuzzy like being back in the womb again"
Will try to find a pic from then

Here's the pic from about 14 years ago

picture.php

meizzwang

I'm seeing lots of pics of DC without the frosty leaf curl dominance, which makes me wonder if that trait isn't dominant?

With Monkey Balls, from one plant to the next, there's definitely a lot of diversity in the strength of aroma, aroma type, and frosty leaf curl trait. Each plant is very similar in smell, but slightly different. For sure, the best clone with the dominant, frosty leaf curl trait smells the strongest and the most delicious! Here she is! I'm officially no longer upset about whether monkey balls is in fact the real deal deep chunk or not, this plant is definitely phenomenal:

48713374263_374bc01372_c.jpg

Still has a ways to go, but this plant is really a looker, definitely haven't seen anything in my garden like this ever:
48713702516_ed4ed4b78c_c.jpg

48713374623_00af943576_c.jpg

48713866367_0484632f56_c.jpg

48713866242_82159d0f45_c.jpg

meizzwang

Monkey Balls a few days before harvest. It's very unlikely that this is a selection of deep chunk, the yields were heavy and the buds were gigantic. It has hybrid written all over it....

Extracted some rosin off of fresh flowers and took a single vape, was so strong it borderline got me scared! LOL I'm definitely not into indicas, but if you are, I highly recommend trying this one out, the flavor is fantastic

48829309097_76634b42b5_c.jpg

We had a heatwave and it turned the white curly leaves slightly brown. Probably why rosin from fresh flowers worked without any curing:
48829309012_07e9055321_c.jpg

G

Looks nice mate and for sure has DC in her although i am no expert on the matter, for reference on DC hybrids pictured are DC x maple leaf indica plants first two pics using a DC male to a maple mum and 2nd two maple dad too a DC girl.

Attachments

• 46640DSC00739-thumb.jpg
    46640DSC00739-thumb.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 46640DSC00748-thumb.jpg
    46640DSC00748-thumb.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 46640DSC01383-thumb.jpg
    46640DSC01383-thumb.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 46640DSC01380-thumb.jpg
    46640DSC01380-thumb.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 22

englishrick

Plumber/Builder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shit,,, Dr,, what does your seed collection list look like,, incredible stuff I bet

Monkey Balls a few days before harvest. It's very unlikely that this is a selection of deep chunk, the yields were heavy and the buds were gigantic. It has hybrid written all over it....

Extracted some rosin off of fresh flowers and took a single vape, was so strong it borderline got me scared! LOL I'm definitely not into indicas, but if you are, I highly recommend trying this one out, the flavor is fantastic

View Image

We had a heatwave and it turned the white curly leaves slightly brown. Probably why rosin from fresh flowers worked without any curing:
View Image
I grew out a RKS x Deep chunk a few years back that gave me a pheno which I assume was a deep chunk(monkey balls) pheno. Wish I took pics of it to share. Buds turned a nice purple and I always wondered if they were describing those monkeys or apes with those protruding big purple shiny balls. Someone said Chimera supplied this company with the genetics. $30 for 10 seeds. Cannacopia was the company