What's new

Deep Chunk...a breeders discussion

esbe

hybridsfromhell
Mentor
Veteran
i didnt probaly checked my harvested dcs yet. i would say they need 2 weeks more here. not more than it would be possible to stabalize it over a few years to our climate. i didnt experience any probs with all my dcs. if i do them again i think i will top half of them and compair. its very leafy, so removing some of them is probaly them biggest issue. also i think i gave them no or very little fert and i think dc likes a lot of fert.

e-rocket is from bluehemp, its a great cross between two swiss legends, erdbeer and alpine rocket. i selected a very fine female outdoor last season and crossed danish passion into it. danish passion is an old dutch passion#1 stabilized to danish climate since mid 80ties. i also did a e-rocket\dp x dc cross to compair dcs dominans in this

R

richardwilliams

club DC

club DC

hi folks, seems like a nicely balanced thread. Ben, great to hear 5 out of 5, I too seen four reports of bad germ rates, but a recent test using paper towel method out of the same batch yielded an 80% germ in four days. However I am concerned about any bad germ rates. I definately did not have anything but great intentions (as well as Toms personal approval) and hope folks who only ended up with one or two keepers out of a pack will realize it might still be good to work with given that dc is so consistent in its traits, and the fact that I used an open pollination outdours. If you read Toms previous advice re dc breeding and my own experiences, I would say to hit up more sativa specimens to get a balanced hybrid. Then you can get away from the overdominance factor. Personally I prefer the smoke of dc crosses over the pure dc except for the rare pheno of dc that has the ultra potency.
best of luck!
Richard.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
the man himself

the man himself

thanx for droppin in richard, i got the DCs made available by you with DC crosses only in mind. when you crossed it with trainwreck and texada timewarp, did the yield pick up or stay close to the same?

R

richardwilliams

hi Bird

hi Bird

the deep warp is definately your outdour bread and butter strain, Im even trying to find a one tame enough to handle indoors, will post my progress. Yield wise, Id say the deep warp is similar yet denser than the timewarp/cambodian mother and the deep wreck is heavier yieeding than the tuck trainwreck it was made from. best of luck, richard.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
rw - yes it does, thanks, i cant wait to see em outside. oh yea, how recessive is that rare potency pheno?

well it looks like burmese kush seems to be the one im getting to most feed back on, so thatll be the direction taken first in this little project. buku is supposed to finish in 7-8 weeks but all posts on it ive seen say throw that out the door. the way it looks ill either grow out the burmese at the same time as the DC outdoors, take clones from the best/strongest bukus while pollen is collected from the DC, and then if it isnt finished outdoors in time knock up said clones with a little DC love. im gonna do a little bit more research on buku to see the reports/growth traits etc so i can know ahead of time what to look for. any suggestions on using/changing this process? also i know DC is kind of a low yeilder and suffers slightly from mold...are there any other significant issues with the DC? does it handle nutes well? the only prob i know for a fact ill be facing is deer towards the end in the area...frickin everywhere...but im done ranting, imput anyone, thoughts or ideas...

exactlywatt

Great thread!!!

Awesome to see yall's home projects with DC. I've always wanted to play with this line too.

My only advice for some of yall as I was reading through, was brought up by Fj first:

fjällhöga said:
...cross some mostly sativa females to all the Dc males you got in an open pollination ...
Fj

I think it's best to use all the males you find, not just the one that looks the best. There is no way to know what genes will get passed on by any one plant. And to find those elites, you want as large a gene pool as possible. Just my VHO yall.

I'm pulling up a chair for this one!

Last edited:

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
oh of course watt! with males you cant really tell much except growth and vigor. when it came to them i was plannin on getting as much pollen as i can off the males that came up so i could just pollinate whatever without having to worry about other strains getting contaminated. ive already experienced the little bit o pollen creates sea o seeds accident that why i wasnt looking to do a complete open pollination. given the woody area i might be able to separate the males far enough from the rest to do open pollination with some strains that will finish fast enough outside. buku i think wont finish in time outdoors at 45-48N. i was going to look for certain traits however in the females i was going to grow out to cross the DCs to, i.e. a buku that actually finishes at 8-9 weeks, or the ultra potent DC pheno. i like the response though

exactlywatt

Hey abirdintheair! I did notice that you were growing all your males separately outdoors, a damn good idea actually!

I thought I saw a couple folks talking about using one good DC male in some of the responses...

Last edited:

fjällhöga

HazeAddictedFanatic
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I thought I saw a couple folks talking about using one good DC male in some of the responses...

You said it ... " one GOOD dc male " .... , good should indicate that the male is tested and prooven to produce awesome potent offspring ...

Guest423

Veteran
DC pretty much breeds nice with anything in my experiences...i've been lucky enough to be gifted dc and many dc hybrids to give a try.....these are some just off the top of my head but there is more.

blueberry x dc
thunder****diesel x dc
cheese x dc
bluemoonshine x dc
strawberrydiesel x dc

most of them ended up with many females that would be keepers in most gardens....here's a few random dc hybrid pics.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
awesome T2U, one thing i see in your pics thats diff from lets say like kromes in his thread is the leave structure. his had DC leaves and yours look like they took the othe sides's leaves, cool. i was hoping there was a way to get past baseball glove sized fan leaves. wether its and avg male or an elite male i wont care, ill be having fun making something for the community. T2U, would you say the DC is better used as a male in the cross or female in your experiences? im just wondering on that one.

Guest423

Veteran
well..out of all the crosses i've tried non of them had the dc being the female...the main reason for that i'm guessing is u can have a male or two of dc throwing pollen on many different females of different strains all at one time.

dc wasn't as dominate in the hybrids as i thought it would be...there was a nice mix of both parents, some dc dom forsure though. they came from 3 different sources so it wasn't because of the male or males being used....i'm just guessing but maybe if the female was dc they would be more dc dom?

oh i just remembered another great dc hybrid i tried...trainwreck x dc

the crosses were grown indoors, outdoors, and in a few different grow rooms....they always turn out real nice.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
DC is a great choice for breeding. If you do some searching on DC hybrids you will find that she is very dominant. I think DC is excellent for making that perfect F1 Hybrid. Some people just cross DC to whatever but I think holding out and waiting for that perfect match would be ideal. Something excotic would be a great choice. Other IBL's or Landraces are perfect examples to match up against DC. Crossing another IBL to Deep Chunk would result in a true F1 Hybrid, resulting in excellent hybrid vigor. DC is perfect as far as smoke, taste, and appeal. Yield is not too good so this is main goal for some to cross something to DC to up the yield.

Last edited:

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
the first one i going to work with is burmese pure closet, which in a few chats with people sounds like a good starting point. if i had access to other ibls id try em but im working with what i got and suggestions brought up. thanx for the extra info T2U

B

Brother_Monk

Closet Funk said:
DC is a great choice for breeding. If you do some searching on DC hybrids you will find that she is very dominant. I think DC is excellent for making that perfect F1 Hybrid. Some people just cross DC to whatever but I think holding out and waiting for that perfect match would be ideal. Something excotic would be a great choice. Other IBL's or Landraces are perfect examples to match up against DC. Crossing another IBL to Deep Chunk would result in a true F1 Hybrid, resulting in excellent hybrid vigor. DC is perfect as far as smoke, taste, and appeal. Yield is not too good so this is main goal for some to cross something to DC to up the yield.
I quite agree CF. We'll see in a few months if the DC and Skunk from HTC will mix well. The skunk is a surprisingly vigorous plant for an IBL. I can't believe this cross has not been made before. Especially since every other seed vendor out ther has their own Skunk Afghan cross, as a staple in their harem.

:ying:

Guest423

Veteran
the thunderskunk cross i made and grew outdoors this season was a real nice true f1...she was vigorous and had massive kolas.

thunderskunk is kodiak gold "ibl" x htc skunk "ibl".

DC is a much better ibl strain then kodiak gold imo so your gonna be looking at a real nice cross BM.

good luck mang

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
its official....

its official....

the deep chunk seeds arrived today, most being the avg size for larger beans and one really big pale one. theyre mostly a pale grey compared to the dark brown tiger striped beans of deep warp which is deep chunk x texada timewarp (or the other way around). if i was going to use a skunk to cross with DC id try to find the roadkill pheno to pair it with.

B

Brother_Monk

abirdintheair said:
if i was going to use a skunk to cross with DC id try to find the roadkill pheno to pair it with.
You and the rest of the cannabis community! Finding a roadkill skunk is like finding the holy grail. This summer should be pretty interesting I hear tho. I smell something in the air, and it aint no bird:bashhead:

:ying:

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
its supposed to be there in the heirloom crosses rez did to ksh and to williams wonder, according to his quote the pheno should be found in 2 packs or he'd eat his shoe. i dont know about anyone elses hunt for the pheno, but i do know i read about it being grown by an activist in the UK and when they raided and confiscated all his plants the smell had overrun the entire police station in minutes and everyone got sick from it and had to leave. different living situations, i could handle a smell like that, but since i live within a population its a no go....whatevers clever :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts