What's new

Decarboxylation

Batboy

A question/scenario for the Decarb gurus out there:

Dissapointed by a batch of QWISO, I hastily plopped it and some buds/kief into 95% Everclear with the intention of making green dragon. Nothing that went into the Everclear was decarb'd first.

If I heat the mixture for purposes of extraction and to reduce the alcohol, can I get it hot enough to simultaneously decarb the THC for oral injestion? If not, what are my options? I really don't want to have to evap the whole mixture to try to reclaim the good stuff, decarb and then disolve/extract again; I feel like I will lose so much that way.

Dissapointed by a batch of QWISO, I hastily plopped it and some buds/kief into 95% Everclear with the intention of making green dragon. Nothing that went into the Everclear was decarb'd first.

If I heat the mixture for purposes of extraction and to reduce the alcohol, can I get it hot enough to simultaneously decarb the THC for oral injestion? If not, what are my options? I really don't want to have to evap the whole mixture to try to reclaim the good stuff, decarb and then disolve/extract again; I feel like I will lose so much that way.

i decarb after extraction. easy. just put it in an oil bath at 240. cook out the alcohol and continue at about 160. the temp should raise to 212 or there about (depending upon your elevation) until water is gone. then the temp will rise to 240...the same as the bath. the bubbles will be small and only around the edges and where your stirring rod drops into the solution. that is when one should remove it.

there are graphs showing the decarboxilation process and its relation to time and temp. do find and review. enjoy.

btb, sounds as though you regularly ingest. have you tried holy anointing oil???

i've been decarbing my bubble for a long time now. I've tried every method here, plus: wine bottles fill with boiling water, electric hot plates, various boiling times, sealed boiling and not sealed boiling, pressure treatments including the car and hammers.

IMO sealed decarbing is wrong. The decarb process releases gases, CO2 and H20 vapor, and you have to let these vapors "cook off" or your hash will get wet from the H20 condensing in the jar. Watch your sealed jars decarbing carefully and you will see what I am talking about. No matter how well you dry your bubble, the water is created as a product of decarboxylation.

I prefer (for ital edible oil infusions) to do low temp slow infusions, the closer to raw the better but its gotta decarb well. I use coconut oil, which has many health properties in its own right. We can't talk about temperature and chemical reactions like decarboxylation without also taking into account time. I do 200ish for 12 to 18 hours depending on the ambient temps and the -ish part. I try to work it out to be about .3g bubble per truffle, a solid dose IMO.

A pro tip from out here in the CA dispensary world is to add a few drops of 100% food grade alcohol to your oil infusions to aid the decarb process. It changes the taste big time, but also helps do what high heat would do.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran

You will notice from the attached graph, that the mixture will decarboxylate at the 176F boilng point of Iso, but not achieve the materials ultimate potential.

That is one of the reasons that we decarboxylate after extracting the oil, and the other reason is flavor.

Possibly a pain in the butt, but nere the less, a process that produces good results.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Duh, I can't seem to edit the previous post to attach the graph that I forgot. Here is a different attempt to remedy my mistake! Graph compliments of Jump117.

Attachments

• Decarboxylation graph.pdf
    163.7 KB · Views: 39

IMO

i've been decarbing my bubble for a long time now. I've tried every method here, plus: wine bottles fill with boiling water, electric hot plates, various boiling times, sealed boiling and not sealed boiling, pressure treatments including the car and hammers.

IMO sealed decarbing is wrong. The decarb process releases gases, CO2 and H20 vapor, and you have to let these vapors "cook off" or your hash will get wet from the H20 condensing in the jar. Watch your sealed jars decarbing carefully and you will see what I am talking about. No matter how well you dry your bubble, the water is created as a product of decarboxylation.

I prefer (for ital edible oil infusions) to do low temp slow infusions, the closer to raw the better but its gotta decarb well. I use coconut oil, which has many health properties in its own right. We can't talk about temperature and chemical reactions like decarboxylation without also taking into account time. I do 200ish for 12 to 18 hours depending on the ambient temps and the -ish part. I try to work it out to be about .3g bubble per truffle, a solid dose IMO.

A pro tip from out here in the CA dispensary world is to add a few drops of 100% food grade alcohol to your oil infusions to aid the decarb process. It changes the taste big time, but also helps do what high heat would do.

curious about your decarbing in coconut oil - do you decarb at 200ish in order to retain those terps that would otherwise boil out? in other words, have you been able to decarb your hash product but still retain its scent/flavor? most of my decarb experiments have been closer to 250(ish) and the end product is usually pretty sweet smelling but lacks the complexity of the original product. anyhow hope this made some sense, my brain seems to be put on backwards after sampling hash all day.

-imo

ps- anyone else notice how annoying these smilies are next to the text window?

curious about your decarbing in coconut oil - do you decarb at 200ish in order to retain those terps that would otherwise boil out? in other words, have you been able to decarb your hash product but still retain its scent/flavor? most of my decarb experiments have been closer to 250(ish) and the end product is usually pretty sweet smelling but lacks the complexity of the original product. anyhow hope this made some sense, my brain seems to be put on backwards after sampling hash all day.

-imo

ps- anyone else notice how annoying these smilies are next to the text window?

yes, lower and longer equals better taste. agreed on the annoying smilies. But that is nothing compared to the tattle-tales (two on this very page) and over-moderation. :) welcome to IC. read the TOU when you are not high... I mean if you are ever not high.

IMO

yes, lower and longer equals better taste. agreed on the annoying smilies. But that is nothing compared to the tattle-tales (two on this very page: VG, kuk) and moderation. :) welcome to IC. read the TOU when you are not high... I mean if you are ever not high.

good im glad you can still manage terp retention while decarbing. this wasnt essential but i really was hoping to retain that flavor for my sorbet. hope it works out.

ill read the TOU...whatever it is... but ill probably read it "high". it's been a long time since coffee didnt equal joint, i doubt ill be making an exception anytime soon.

just remember... a still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise.

good im glad you can still manage terp retention while decarbing. this wasnt essential but i really was hoping to retain that flavor for my sorbet. hope it works out.

ill read the TOU...whatever it is... but ill probably read it "high". it's been a long time since coffee didnt equal joint, i doubt ill be making an exception anytime soon.

just remember... a still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy-rise.

lol TOU is terms of use, and admin assumes people actually read it. The terms of use here is longer than standard forum rules. Basically: if they don't pay Gypsy they are off limits. Good luck. Peace

IMO

lol TOU is terms of use, and admin assumes people actually read it. The terms of use here is longer than standard forum rules. Basically: if they don't pay Gypsy they are off limits. Good luck. Peace

ahh i see. i usually wait and see what happens when i step out of line, thanks for the heads up.

Latest posts

Latest posts