What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DEA warns of stoned rabbits if Utah passes medical marijuana

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
UPDATE

UPDATE

HAPPY BUNNIES 02.04.16 12:00 AM ET
DEA Agent: Rabbits Are Getting Stoned

Posted @ Yahoo today.......

This DEA agent’s surreal argument against medical marijuana may be the strangest one yet.

“I come to represent the actual science”—it was a bold opener for testimony that was to include the clear and present danger of bunnies getting too high.

The man giving that testimony was Drug Enforcement Administration Special Agent Matt Fairbanks. He argued that legalizing medical pot in Utah could have a powerful effect on the state’s ecosystems. One of the threats: dazed and confused rabbits would abound.

“I deal in facts,” Fairbanks said during the surreal hearing last March. “I deal in science.” Surprised by his continued reference to “science,” FOIA expert MuckRock requested that the agency hand over any and all documents showing the effects of marijuana—and its legalization—on rabbits.

This week in a brief letter, the DEA’s answer arrived: There is none.

“After reviewing your request,” the FOIA letter reads, “no responsive records were located.” The absence of any documents doesn’t mean no studies on rabbits and weed exist (they do), just that none prove legalizing medical marijuana would cause bunnies to get high.

The $18 million program relies on 120 agencies to demolish marijuana grow sites nationwide—a mission which is hugely successful. In 2014 alone, the program led to the eradication of 4.3 million marijuana plants, just shy of the 4.4 million that were eliminated the year before.

While digging up marijuana plants, Fairbanks apparently noticed that rabbits had “cultivated a taste for marijuana”—which he suggested was to the detriment of their brains. “One of them refused to leave us and we took all the marijuana around him,” Fairbanks said. “His natural instincts to run were somehow gone.”

It’s unclear whether Fairbanks actually witnessed the bunny eating marijuana or whether its failure to run means it was high. According to Indiana Public Media, wild bunnies sometimes freeze when scared and can stay motionless for minutes at a time. In her book Rabbits, Janice Biniok says a rabbit that is startled will either “freeze” or scurry to safety.

If Fairbanks was grasping for straws in the fight against marijuana legalization, the agency behind him is too.

Shortly after taking his post as DEA chief, Chuck Rosenberg delivered a half-baked rebuttal to medical marijuana. “What really bothers me is the notion that marijuana is also medicinal because it’s not,” he said. “We can have an intellectually honest debate about whether we should legalize something that is bad and dangerous, but don’t call it medicine—that is a joke.”

The statement incensed medical marijuana activists, patients, and congressmen, who viewed it as an indicator that the DEA doesn’t take marijuana seriously. In the wake of the statements, Rep. Earl Blumenauer, one of the most vocal opponents of the war on drugs, called Rosenberg an “inept, misinformed zealot.”

"Sadly, these actions by administration officials are indicative of a throwback ideology rooted in the failed war on drugs, which needs to stop,” said Blumenauer. It’s an ideology that led President Nixon to implicate everyone from Jewish psychiatrists to black and Hispanic men, and today leads people to argue that bunnies need protecting more than cancer patients.

But the DEA’s chief is not the only part of the agency that’s under fire.

In November, a number of House representatives filed a bill (PDF) asking Congress to strip the Cannabis Eradication Team of its funding, calling the program a waste of resources.

“As multiple states legalize marijuana across our nation, it is a huge waste of federal resources for the DEA to eradicate marijuana,” said the bill’s sponsor, California House Rep. Ted Lieu. “The federal government should focus its precious resources on other issues and let the states innovate in the cannabis field.”

As far as Fairbanks is concerned, the rabbits are safe—for now. While the state legislature did not agree with his theory, the bill (narrowly) missed the Senate. The lawmakers will debate the bill again this year, hopefully sans bunnies.

Last edited:
N

noyd666

WHAT A LOAD O BULL
picture.php

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
hey stoned trout is a warning signal,,,,too....danger will robinson,,, danger...I like my animals happy as they can be when killed ..they taste better...they should get all animals high for 3 weeks before death...yeehaw

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WHERE'S MY HOSSENFEFFER?

Livestock will eat cannabis before any other weeds... for one reason alone... they're nutrient rich bioaccumulators.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I met a gal in Southbend that fed her bunnies her homegrown trimmings, they were plump & happy. both came right up to me when I had fan leaves for them to munch, they loved the stuff.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
my friend had a rabbit and it would eat joints ..I thought it was funny....yeehaw..it never appeared to be stoned tho,,,or maybe it was high all the time as I came by a lot....

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
You guys don't take this threat seriously enaugh. I already got my tin foil hat on.. :muahaha:

dddaver

Veteran
Not just the rabbits. Think of the poor turtles man! And, and, oh God, the toads.....Oh God, the humanity.