What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Darwin's Micro Grow - White Widow

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
oh, might as well chuck this up too, 3.5 weeks (25 days) flowering

picture.php

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Sweet pics mate, she's a very frosty girl :)
so your only giving her seasol yeah?? you going to switch over to bloom nutes soon??

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
hey mate, i'm thinking i'll probably put a little bit of pot ash on the top of the pot and water it in with seasol, hadn't really planned anything outside of that. do you know of any cheap organic ferts for flowering you can get at the local hardware store? my intentions with this grow were to keep it as basic as possible and see what the results would be :D

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
thought i'd add a little bit of pot ash for added potassium for flowering. so put in a few pinches of the stuff before i watered today. we'll see how it goes. think the recommended dose was 15g/sq meter

picture.php

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
yeah i've never used it before gavin, i'm sure the plant will do ok either way with the other nutes i'm using as it's still looking as healthy as ever, but it'd be nice if the pot ash bumps it up a notch. i'll have to do a test sometime comparing yields of clones 5+ with potash added ontop of or instead of other nutes and 5+ without. would be interesting to note the differences as i'm sure many people use flowering nutes without ever knowing or asking if it makes a difference, though they've been told in theory that it should/will.

gavin2511

indeed, im growing one bagseed along side my widows without nutes just to compare by.
so far no difference!

the only thing the bagseed has had is a good mixture of worm poo in the soil mix!

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
yeah it's been funny, i've tried a lot of things from coco and chem nutes, soil and chem nutes, soil and ferts, soil and ferts and organic nutes in water. the latter has been the best so far, i'm sure the others all can work once you get it all down pat but i wanted the simplest and easy to maintain technique and so far that's been the soil with 5in1 ferts added, a bit of dolomite and some perlite/vermiculite, and i just add organic seasol (seaweed/fish emulsion) nutes to the water, pH it to 6.4-6.5 and add a drop of superthrive if i remember (to 15L bucket worth) and bam... just keep refilling my water bottle and water the plants daily and like this micro grow one, they've gone through without a single nute def or lockout issue. it's be wondrous in comparison to previous grows where i added too much nutes, not enough, then tried fixing it by flushing but overwatered, ph too high, etc etc drove me insane lol but yeah just trying to get a technique that's as simple as possible and uses the cheapest possible components in it. i might go some high end organic nutes and some fluvic/humic acid, and some beneficial bacteria/fungi if i have the money sometime and compare results. but yeah, worked well so far :D haha sorry for the rant. oh also have a compost up and running out the back that i might use for adding to future soil mixes or in compost teas.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
hehe one can hope but i'm sure it's a continuous learning process, as times goes by i'm sure things will change. what i'm wanting to find out now is is there anything i can add to boost trichome production? i've heard a little about black molasses or something but i dunno if you can get it in aus as easily as you can in the US.

gavin2511

oh right, ive heard molasses is a great secret ingredient to many fert mixes.
but im in the uk so not sure either how easy it is to get?

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
i think you can just buy it off the net, i've found a few sites on google. here're some quotes of other people using it / in the know

Hi,
You're going to get different answers on this, but I started when I changed the lights to 12/12. Just added 1 tsp to gallon of water, PHed it, then watered plants with it, every other watering.

After 4 weeks of flowering, I added 2tsp per gallon and continued watering, every other watering.

Its suppose to add simple sugars, which will increase resin and bud production! (I think)

Some people say don't use it, but I did! First grow, so I can't compare it to NOT using it!

True, that! What molasses does during vegging is provide a two pronged benefit.

On one hand it provides the plants with a "fairly" well balanced (although rather weak) supply of nutrients, encluding secondary and micro nutrients. In other words - in part, it acts as a diluted fertilizer, acting directly on plant developement.

On the other hand (and probably much more importantly), the carbohydrates (natural sugars) go to feed the "micro-herd" of benificial micro organisms that live in the soil (or other medium). Now that the micro-herd is "fat and sassy" it is free to go around munching it's way through the medium, releasing all the natural nutrients in a "processed" form that is redily available to the plant. In other words, it feeds the organisms that "cook" the medium into an edible meal for the plant.

I find that a reduced amount of molasses during the vegging stage is adequate to keep the micro-heard happy. I do this by using it less often (about 1/4 of the waterings) during veg.

this site is selling it for about AUD$6 for 600g bottles. so seems pretty cheap, i might invest and just add it to my water.

EDIT:
Blackstrap molasses is a thick dark syrup left after the extraction of sugar from sugar cane. The roots of the sugar cane run a long way into the soil, and have received a broad spectrum of minerals and trace elements. Molasses has a bitter-sweet flavour, and is a popular health food due to its high levels of iron, manganese, copper, potassium and magnesium.

sounds great to me :D lol might have to chew on a bit while giving it to the plants!

hey darwin try checking your local grocery store in the syrup aisle or cooking aisle. The molasses shouldnt even cost that much. You should try to get blackstrap if you can thats the best kind of molasses. I think unsulphured is the worst ? The least miconutrients in it.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
ahhh sweat mate, yeah i've found only a few on ebay and they're the unsulphered kind, not expensive in themselves but the postage form the US is bucket loads. i might do that. i wonder if other stuff like treacle or syrup would work in a similar fashion? they're selling it for 6 bucks on that site for 600g with free postage and handling too so might go for that. or i'll hit the shops up tonight and have a look

weedfiend

and if u cant fint it next to the golden syrup your local stockfeeds should have it. bye the way nice lttle girl u got there!

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
cheers weedfiend, if this stuff goes well i might hit up the local stock feed place, but it's about 30mins out of the way. :D

Latest posts

Latest posts