What's new

Darwin's Micro Grow - White Widow

If you can pry yourself off the couch, would you give a recap of the box? Measurements and a few pictures? How far away from the screen were the lights?

Good good on the thread. Lovely Pictures!

Strangely

If you can pry yourself off the couch, would you give a recap of the box? Measurements and a few pictures? How far away from the screen were the lights?

Good good on the thread. Lovely Pictures!

I second all of that. Oh and loving the sneaky tester, gotta be done!

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
sorry couldn't make it up today with the missus mate, will deff make it up next time :D please save us a little bit to try :)

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
haha yeah no worries shroomy there'll be some for you to sample don't worry mate. and hey ordinary joe and strangley, just uploaded some pics of the box for you i'll put them below. i'm not 100% sure on the dimensions i'll have to measure it or ask penguin59 if he knows, but i think it's probably 40cm x 40cm x 70cm or so. so a bit bigger than 1ftx1ftx2ft. the screen i used was just a cheap piece of wire fencing, i duct taped it from the two sides of the box and bent it down a little in the middle. i cut out a few sections to make the holes bigger for the plant to move through. seemed to work quite well :D

the laptop charger that runs the fans

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
haha yeah guys this was never about harvesting a pound, it was just a mini side project for me to fuck around with as i'd never done a scrog before and just wanted to see how it'd go. i don't smoke much compared to some (maybe 2-3 times a week if that), so yeah no biggie for me lol i'll probably share this stuff out with friends and it'll be gone within a week anyway haha

G

guest456mpy

Hey D's B D,
Nice little grow!
I haven't grown out any WW since the 90's. Still got some seeds, though. This thread was good stuff, again...

Thanks!

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
thanks heaps hempyguy :D if you've got some from the 90s it must be pretty close to the original stuff (even if nabbed by others), wonder how it would compared to some of the white widow strains around today :D let me know if you ever grow them out in a thread etc mate i'd love to see the results!

G

guest456mpy

You're welcome, Darwin.

The WW was from 92 or 93 directly from breeder (Holland). Back then stealth meant wrapping the letter with carbon paper so it couldn't be x-ray'd. If I ever do get to popping them I will post the results but I have so much better genetics waiting in the queue.

BC Chronic

Paging Dr.Greenthumb
Veteran
GREAT work darwin!!! I really wish I had visited this thread earlier....man...I am the same as you bro...its not always about getting a huge harvest...I have just as much fun growing the herb as I do smoking it!!
Love your scrog cab by the way...
take care

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
GREAT work darwin!!! I really wish I had visited this thread earlier....man...I am the same as you bro...its not always about getting a huge harvest...I have just as much fun growing the herb as I do smoking it!!
Love your scrog cab by the way...
take care

hey mate cheers :D yeah it's my best mate's cab, penguin59. he's just started a new grow, penguin be sure to link us once you've got it up on here :D

yeah i just wanted to do a scrog grow and get the basics down, i think next time i'd fill the screen a great deal more, have her in a big pot or dish that maximised soil and potential root area and maybe try upping the wattage a little if i could find better higher watt bulbs.

hehe was talking to a mate about this today, for me everything about this mmm way of life more than a hobby, is what i love, the smoking of the final product is about 10% of it all... the other 90% is the growing, the breeding, the learning, the speaking and bonding with other friendly people from near and far on these forums, sharing of knowledge, strains, resources etc too is what i love! one of my close friends a fellow grower/breeder on here shroomyshroom doesn't even smoke the stuff, but he still gets more out of it than you can explain in words, he still gets 90% out of it, even without the 10%. it's that whole, journey side of things, the end result's always good to but the most important part is the journey, for me lol the short ones, ie each time i grow a plant, and the big ones, ie working towards breeding projects and research. :D anyway sorry for the rant and thanks for dropping by mate :D

darwin

hey Ordinary Joe and Strangley, I just uploaded some pics of the box for you. I'll put them below. I'm not 100% sure on the dimensions. I'll have to measure it or ask Penguin59 if he knows, but I think it's probably 40cm x 40cm x 70cm or so. So a bit bigger than 1ftx1ftx2ft.

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks Darwin, That door is a piece of work. When it is closed, there are no gaps, the tolerances are very tight. And when it is open, I can see by the way it is made, there are no light leaks. The cabinet jamb has channels and the door has grooves that interlock to keep the light from leaking out. That is very tight. Whomever built that door did one hell of a job with fit and finish. That is sweet. Very sano.

To improve further yields, I suggest the screen and a frame actually be attached to the larger pot. This way you can take the plant out to work on it and also put books or crates/bins under it to get it closer to the lights. A shorter distance will make the plants grow faster and larger, then as they do, drop the bin lower. Other than that, paint the walls flat white.

Once again, someone put some thought into building that door.

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
hey ordinary joe hehe yeah that was penguin's father, apparently a decent craftsman :D they covered the thing in light trap sort of tricks etc and the door was made to be slightly bigger than the cabinet so when it closed it wedged in well and no light escaped. cheers for the advice mate, i'll keep that in mind next time i'm scrogging :D

Penguin59

Hey Ordinary Joe, yeh my old man's always loved the wood work side of things haha. Glad someone's noticed the work that went into that door :) I'm starting a new grow in that cab today. Hopefully try & incorporate all of your suggestions. I dont have any paint atm so might just sticky tape some white paper to the walls for now. Hope you check out the new grow.

Penguin

Well that was the first actual shot of the door in this thread, it's impressive. I'm sure you would have gotten a reply on it before, if it had be shown. I first noticed the bottom lip which would keep the light from sneaking under the door. Then I noticed the sides and thought "that is different." It took a minute to realize that the door and wide side pieces interlocked like puzzle pieces. Light travels in a straight line and can be reflected but no way can it zig-zag through that.

Just post the thread link of the new grow. I'll be happy to follow along.

Latest posts

Latest posts