What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damn it stinks in here!

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
hate fungus gnats and they’re def an obstacle in establishing a living soil grow. i’ve noticed they’re far worse in new soil than in no till containers that have been thriving for 3+ cycles. i always run into them when i try to add a nice mulch layer to newer containers. they just love that decomposing layer.

i think they favor bacterially dominated soil conditions so the more fungal life you can bring into your soil the less inviting it is for gnats. one trick i use is to sprinkle some fungal food as a top dress every couple weeks to keep that white fuzzy layer on the soil/mulch surface. way harder for the gnats to lay eggs or emerge thru that.

add some predator soil mites (hypoapsis miles iirc?) and some steinernema feltiae nematodes and that’s a decent defense. the soil mites tend to establish quickly but i usually reapply the ‘todes a few times a year. it’s a good idea to apply a portion of them via foliar and they’ll attack the adults as well.

but i’ve been seeing a lot of soil growers getting back to sterile media and salts. whatever works!

Siskiyou

Veteran
A Diatomaceous Earth topdress also seems to take care of flyers, but since I don't want to negatively impact various beneficial life form populations (especially worms) I use it sparingly.

I assume it is because of carefully avoiding overwatering and occasionally very lightly topdressing with DE that though I have been growing in the same living soil for 7-8 years in an area where fungus gnats are quite common, I have no fungus gnats in my garden.

gmanwho

Veteran
Hitching a ride

Hitching a ride

few posts back i spoke about about fungus knats, an i mentioned a macro photo i saw. Well this photo isnt a fungus knat it is a white fly, with 9 broad mites hitching a ride. A quick search states that a white fly is approx 0.9mm, an fungus knat is 1.5-3mm. So imagine how many spores could hitch a ride

Article an credit goes to here https://macromite.wordpress.com/2009/05/15/two-four-no-ten-pests-in-one/

picture.php

Scrappy-doo

Closing in on harvest in the closet garden.

Day 56

picture.php

Breeder recommendation for harvest on the Starfighter is 8 weeks. Seems to be spot on. I'm taking them 9 to let the f2 seeds finish up.

This one looks to be the keeper pheno. If I ever pop more I'd be looking for one like it.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

She has a twin brother that was used for all the f2's and crosses made. Was just blind luck... I messed up with all the other males and didn't get pollen from any of them, but after running the females I think I probably ended up using the best male.

My 2nd pick would be this girl. She's pretty but way too leafy. Looks like a nice hash producer though.

picture.php

C

Capra ibex

few posts back i spoke about about fungus knats, an i mentioned a macro photo i saw. Well this photo isnt a fungus knat it is a white fly, with 9 broad mites hitching a ride. A quick search states that a white fly is approx 0.9mm, an fungus knat is 1.5-3mm. So imagine how many spores could hitch a ride

Article an credit goes to here https://macromite.wordpress.com/2009/05/15/two-four-no-ten-pests-in-one/

View Image

This picture reminded me of the parasite that gets into a fishes mouth and eats the fishes tongue and substitutes itself as the tongue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymothoa_exigua

nickman

Veteran
Very nice plants Scrappy...!!!...

I’d definitely say that’s a fine ass looking plant in my book...!!!...
who’s the breeder ???

I was gonna say the same thing about those looking like some nice hash producers...!!!...

Keep up the good work bro, :tiphat: ...

genetic freaked

Veteran
Talk about luck Scrap that girl is beautiful.

I hear star fighter is a strain you want to dive into.
Those F2s are going to be gold!

Didn’t Cap use star-fighter to make Mac1?

Scrappy-doo

Nickman - Alien Genetics is the original breeder and Exotic inbred it towards that phenotype.

GF- Mac1 is Alien Cookies x (Columbian x Starfighter)

Here's the Mac at 8 weeks:

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php
picture.php

Scrappy-doo

Got a big ol' GSC right under the light. The nugs are small, but there's a zillion of them. I'm gonna take a guess here and predict I pull at least a cutie pie from her. It's a jungle in there!

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

genetic freaked

Veteran
That Mac is beautiful!!

I was reading somewhere that the Colombian in Mac is actually not Columbian and something else. There’s always some drama around elite cuts lol.

You got that GSC massive! The buds are rock hard I bet

Scrappy-doo

Wanted to share my current method for looking through seedlines... I'll pop seeds in solo cups then transplant after a couple weeks to a single container, then straight into flower. Working pretty well so far. I plan on doing a lot of this from now on. Taking cuts isn't possible, but I can run numbers in my limited space to get to know the lines better.

These are Jalalabad Star IX that I made a while back using f2 females from Black Bart and an F1 male I got as a freebie from the breeder. Or I guess since it's already a worked line, they're way down the F gen but I don't know the proper terms to use. Anyways, there's 7 plants in there. As you can see they're quite uniform, and they all have a real nice stinky cheesy funk.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

nickman

Veteran
wheres larrydogs lineage from?

It says in the next post after the pictures of that Larry Dog that one of his friends made the cross but Scrappy wasn’t 100% on the lineage...!!!...

He’s pretty sure it’s a (mother) Lemon Larry or hybrid x (father) Killer Chem ...!!!...

genetic freaked

Veteran
If you get a standout in the pheno hunt running this way are you revegging?

I’ve been wanting to do what you are doing but I would hate to find something killer and something goes wrong with the reveg.

I heard a mainstream breeder does something like this but instead of leaving the plant as is they take everything off of the plant but 2 bud sites. The best pieces that are removed are clones and the “mother” is flowered.
He said this works best because you are only focusing on 2 bud sites. So it’s easier to see hermie tendencies as well as how the bud forms along with stretch and whatnot

genetic freaked

Veteran
I forgot to ask with a pretty please if we could see what your flowers are looking like. If you running the ECSD or Durban id really like to see those babies in bloom

Scrappy-doo

You mean dried flowers? I can take some pics from this harvest once dried. I have a durban going into flower next round. ECSD I've taken plenty of pics of that are in this thread. Don't have any flowering atm.

I don't plan to reveg any of the Jalalabad. The goal was to find a male, which there was only one of in that batch. Already have more popped for next round. This method is more to just look through the line rather than to find keepers. I'm only doing it with stuff I make myself or have been gifted and have a decent number of seeds. If I ever find something truly extraordinary I could always reveg. The Jalalabad is imo a good stable breeding line, but I don't expect to find anything that will measure up with the girls I already have mothered.

You never know though!!!