What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Damn it stinks in here!

Scrappy-doo

Currently in my closet I'm at day 36. I'm no longer running organic soil. This is my first run back on the bottle. Promix and PBP from here on out.

Group shot. Mac1 on the bottom. Also in there is Bubba, GSC, Wedding Cake, and 5 Starfighter 'the cube' from seed.
picture.php

Mac1:
picture.php

Wedding Cake:

picture.php

picture.php

gmanwho

Veteran
Good to see you back. An the starfighter, damn. Whos seed, or clone only? If seed,manage to keep an males from that or where they fems?

plants look healthy. So what was the experience that sent u back to "the bottle"?

Scrappy-doo

Good to see you back. An the starfighter, damn. Whos seed, or clone only? If seed,manage to keep an males from that or where they fems?

plants look healthy. So what was the experience that sent u back to "the bottle"?

These are from seed... The Cube from Exotic Genetix which is just Starfighter IX'ed a few times. I hate the name he gave it so I just call it the original name. Not much different from JAWS version except it leans more toward the Tahoe Alien which so far seems to translate to more frost, less terps. It's only day 37 though so we'll see how they develop.

First run with the Mac1 reminded me that I had these in the vault and decided to pop them before they get too old. Mainly just wanted to f2 them and hit the mac up with the males but I hit a bunch of other stuff too with imo the nicest one. Yes I still have all the males.

I hit the 09 Animal with it and think it's likely to produce very similar plants to the mac. I know there's supposed to be Columbian in there too but everything I see and smell from it can be accounted for with cookies x starfighter. Gonna find out soon enough.
WHAT?!?!?!

You'll have to explain more about no more organic soil?

dank.Frank

Biggest reason is because I was losing the battle with fungus gnats and got sick of them walking on my computer screen when the lights turn off. Also was important because I had received some dud cuts and it spread to some of my other plants which I ended up having to trash. My theory is the fungus gnats were spreading it.

The other reason is that some plants were just not happy with my soil and I got tired of tinkering with it to figure out what the issue was. I still have some organic plants in the tents I'm finishing out but here at the casa it's just promix, perlite, and PBP.

genetic freaked

Veteran
Great looking room you got going man!
I’m surprised you got away from soil as well. But now that you bring up gnats I can understand why.
I for the life of me couldn’t get rid of those fuckers. I had them really bad when I was running coir with KISS.
Isn’t there some natural ingredient that can be added to soil that will kill them and make sure you never get them again?

hellfire

Great looking room you got going man!
I’m surprised you got away from soil as well. But now that you bring up gnats I can understand why.
I for the life of me couldn’t get rid of those fuckers. I had them really bad when I was running coir with KISS.
Isn’t there some natural ingredient that can be added to soil that will kill them and make sure you never get them again?

BT aka Bacillus Thuringiensis. The main company that sells it sells under the name Mosquito Bits. Some organic growers also top with diatomaceous earth and its supposed to cut them up and prevent them from coming up and flying. Also a good dry out helps, they reproduce in wet soggy soil.

genetic freaked

Veteran
Thanks man! I gotta check this out.

It was hard to get a good dry out when doing HEMPYs.
Not cool when your growing Snow Monkey and have gnats LOL. It was like a Glue trap.

That’s actually not a bad name if Snow Monkey (GG4xSnowman) didn’t stick

Scrappy-doo

I've used predator mites, nematodes, BT, peroxide drench, pyrethrin, sand, DE, drying out pots till plants droop, no pest strips... anything and everything recommended by many growers. NONE of them got the job done in organic soil.

Now that I'm back to just promix all it took was BT (Mosquito Bits) to knock them out. And since bags of promix are sealed, I don't have to worry about more gnats hitching a ride when I buy more bags of it. Life is much better without those little fuckers in it.

genetic freaked

Veteran
What’s your feeding schedule looking like with the Promix and PBP?
I remember using PBP a while ago and using the schedule on the directions worked ok but not great

Scrappy-doo

I'm feeding them very light for my first run... 15ml/gal unless they show me they want more. So far they seem pretty happy. Frostier than usual.

gmanwho

Veteran
Ya knats are no joke. An it is true, they are a vector, they will spread other bugs bacteria an fungus alike. all bad shit. Theres an amazing macro photo out there with a close up of a fungus knat, you can see broad mites hitching a ride on the knats legs. pretty sick photo

then mix in a unwanted fungus like fusarium or pythium ( which probably was you dudding issue) an the knats will hop that spore from one plant to another. never mind having to worry about infected run off mingling with other plants, the knats will do it for u.

i went for the 5 gal of the bt some time ago....

looking forward to the thread!! would be nice to get a faster version of the mac...

keep up the fight!! every now an again nature smacks us around an reminds us whos boss

genetic freaked

Veteran
I was just reading neem cake on top of the soil will keep them away.

I hated those things. I made gnat catchers with apple cider vinegar. Nothing helps. Relentless little bastards

Scrappy-doo

I tried neem cake also, from 2 different sources both as a top dress and mixed into the soil. Didn't work for me. Nothing worked. I finally had to come to the conclusion... it's the soil, stupid!

It's just a guess, but I think with a rich soil like that, there's just so much great stuff for the larvae to eat that they thrived no matter what I did. With a sterile medium now, there's not much food, and the Mosquito Bits were the kill shot.