What's new

Cycloptics Greenbeams 315w owners thread

frostqueen

I love the airpots. I stay in the 4l pot for the entire run. Actually I start in 1" rockwool, then 3" rockwool, then the air pot with ReadyGro. I've grown 3.5oz plants in them, and I have it on good authority that 8oz plants are doable. The sourbubble roots like nothing you've ever seen, so the whole pot is basically a solid rootball by week 2-3 of flower. I've tried bigger pots, but don't see the point anymore.

That's pretty sweet. I've been thinking about trying something new; this might be a good thing. I have a dozen blumats I could use. What did you mean when you said 'parts to pressurize'? Are you using something other than gravity from a raised-up res?

Youll love DE

Not doing DE's McK. Been wanting a vert garden a long time... and now's my opportunity. Don't think DE's can hang vert IIRC. Had hoped to run 315's vert but got scared off by several posts. I saved space for two 3x3 trays for two GB's or Phantoms, but cant use em til I get clones going.

LH

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just what I thought... EL2! I just ordered one, and two e600's for my 4x6 stadium. Still plan on adding 2 315's to the flower room once I finish the initial keeper search. Looks like Gavita is discontinuing the Digistar e-ballasts... very hard to find these days.

LH

Sorry for that LH. I took this post to mean you bought an EL2 and 2 gavita e series 600w fixtures.

DE in vert has been done but its a bit whacked. There is a video of someone doing it, its wild stuff.

Hope your room turns out well

Yeah. Dude at the online shop thought I wanted those too. Just hanging a couple 600's vertically arena/stadium style whilst I explore my beans. Def will use some 315s once I get a few keepers and can run clones.

LH

Ez Rider

Veteran
That's pretty sweet. I've been thinking about trying something new; this might be a good thing. I have a dozen blumats I could use. What did you mean when you said 'parts to pressurize'? Are you using something other than gravity from a raised-up res?

I don't have anywhere to put the gravity res after my rebuild, so I'm adding a pump, accumulator, and pressure reducer between the res and the drippers. This keeps the system pressurized to 14psi, which is the optimal psi according to Blumat. Eliminates the need for a second res, and the extra pressure also makes runaways less likely(allegedly). Blumat sells a kit, but it's $400. I've built mine for $200 including a new 25 gal Flex Tank. If you want more details PM me, it's a very simple DIY. Don't want to hijack or get OT here:biggrin:

Ez Rider

Veteran
Plants are looking good. The cmh sure gives a better veg than a hps! They're just about the right size now. I'll be flipping to flower either tomorrow or Saturday, depending on when I get the blumats installed. Hoping to get it done today, but I said that yesterday too:biggrin:

picture.php

Just curious if anyone's tried these on a light mover? I grow in 4x4 tents and it seems like most think 1 isn't quite enough for a 4x4, but two doesn't really sound exactly ideal to me either for a couple reasons. It would be cool if they made a mobile style mover for the greenbeams. I think that would give pretty good coverage.

Just thinking out loud.

Mr. Roseberry

Ez Rider

Veteran
Just curious if anyone's tried these on a light mover? I grow in 4x4 tents and it seems like most think 1 isn't quite enough for a 4x4, but two doesn't really sound exactly ideal to me either for a couple reasons. It would be cool if they made a mobile style mover for the greenbeams. I think that would give pretty good coverage.

Just thinking out loud.

Mr. Roseberry

I think you could veg small plants in a 4x4 with 1 C/G, especially if you rotated the plants, but you'd need 2 or even 3 to flower IMO. If you look back a few pages, you'll see a post of mine with a model for a 4x8 room with 6 C/G's. Figure 3 will give you 1/2 of that, and 2 will be about 1/3. I've got 6 in a 5x9 tent and am very happy so far. FYI, I went with a 4x8 model to account for negative pressure on the tent walls. I move a lot of air, and the tent walls collapse quit a bit How much does your tent collapse when it's closed up? From what I get out of others experience, the models, and watching my plants grow, each lamp has an effective footprint of 2.5'x2.5' to 3'x3'. The C/G hoods allegedly have a much better spread/penetration than others, but you're not going to see any real benefit from that unless you're using several IMO. I can tell you that 6 in my 5x9 gorilla are extremely bright.

I think you could veg small plants in a 4x4 with 1 C/G, especially if you rotated the plants, but you'd need 2 or even 3 to flower IMO. If you look back a few pages, you'll see a post of mine with a model for a 4x8 room with 6 C/G's. Figure 3 will give you 1/2 of that, and 2 will be about 1/3. I've got 6 in a 5x9 tent and am very happy so far. FYI, I went with a 4x8 model to account for negative pressure on the tent walls. I move a lot of air, and the tent walls collapse quit a bit How much does your tent collapse when it's closed up? From what I get out of others experience, the models, and watching my plants grow, each lamp has an effective footprint of 2.5'x2.5' to 3'x3'. The C/G hoods allegedly have a much better spread/penetration than others, but you're not going to see any real benefit from that unless you're using several IMO. I can tell you that 6 in my 5x9 gorilla are extremely bright.

I move a lot of air too. My walls pull in 4" per side easily. I've been growing under a 40"x40" scrog woth a 600w hps in one tent, and a Mars II 1200 in the other tent. I do 4 plants in 15 gallon no till containers. I plan on doing away with the scrog. I have multiple tents so im leaning towards smaller harvest more frequently. Plant a clone, veg a week, and flip to flower. The scrog makes trimming a mess. Because of the space and blumat setup I won't be rotating them. My plants sit on a 3x3 pallet that I've attached rails to for supporting the scrog net. So I really grow in a 3x3 area I guess. I've currently got a 400w cmh, the old school kind, in a 2x4 and LOVE it. I'm thinking the new 315w in a 4x4, actually covering a 3x3, will produce some very nice personal meds. Cut down on heat and power consumption in the process

Mr. Roseberry

Ez Rider

Veteran
I move a lot of air too. My walls pull in 4" per side easily. I've been growing under a 40"x40" scrog woth a 600w hps in one tent, and a Mars II 1200 in the other tent. I do 4 plants in 15 gallon no till containers. I plan on doing away with the scrog. I have multiple tents so im leaning towards smaller harvest more frequently. Plant a clone, veg a week, and flip to flower. The scrog makes trimming a mess. Because of the space and blumat setup I won't be rotating them. My plants sit on a 3x3 pallet that I've attached rails to for supporting the scrog net. So I really grow in a 3x3 area I guess. I've currently got a 400w cmh, the old school kind, in a 2x4 and LOVE it. I'm thinking the new 315w in a 4x4, actually covering a 3x3, will produce some very nice personal meds. Cut down on heat and power consumption in the process

Mr. Roseberry

I'm positive a 315w cmh will outperform a 400w mh/hps in just about any application.

Ez Rider

Veteran
Hey Ez we need an update! :biggrin:

:yeahthats
:tiphat:

looking good in there ez

Today is day 3 of 12/12. The plants are starting to stretch a little, and look very healthy. Right now. the hoods are ~33" off the canopy. At the end of stretch(week 2), I'll set the hoods at 20-24" from the canopy if needed. Once I determine an actual "finishing" height, I'll set the lamps permanently. No pics at present. I'm not used to the new light schedule:biggrin:. Now that I'm running 7p-7a heat isn't an issue. The tent is running 75-80F for most of the "day" cycle and hi 60's lo 70's "dark" cycle. There's an open widow directly above one intake, so there's plenty of "fresh" air not just moving the same air. Hoping to go this entire cycle without the a/c. As the weather warms, I'll have no choice. I'll do my best to get in a few updates a week(with pics) as the grow progresses. I'll take a pic or 2 later today, and put them up tomorrow.

Ez Rider

Veteran
So, the lights just shut off on day 3 of flower. The plants are looking good,but don't seem to be stretching as much as they would under the hps. I actually lowered the hoods a little to get them 30" off the canopy. I think I flipped a little too soon, but too tall plants are more of a hassle than too short ones. Besides, with all the changes I've made, this is really a trial run anyway. If necessary, I'll just veg them a little taller next time. I won't really be sure about that for few more weeks. I've just about got my blumats dialed in, but they're touchier than I'm used to, due to being pressurized now. So here's how they look at the close of the 3rd day of flower...
picture.php
picture.php

Ez Rider

Veteran
Just finished day 6 of flower, and it's mostly looking good. On the whole, I've never had my plants look better than they do under the cmh lamps. At this point I'm positive that the stretch will be significantly less than I'd see under hps lamps. I started flower with ~16" plants. With hps, I'd expect the plants to be ~24" at this point, and they're more like 20". With hps, I'd have expected the plants to hit 30-32". With the C/G's, I'm now positive the current crop will mostly finish at under 24". Next time I may veg to 20" before the flip, shooting for a 30" finish. I won't decide on that until I see how the current setup produces. I've been growing SourBubble for quite some time and usually by mid-week 6, I can give an extremely accurate estimate of my final yield.

The plants are filling out nicely, they just seem SMALL. Usually I veg 9/tray up to 30" before the flip. These won't be that tall at harvest. Only thing I'm not liking at the moment are signs of what appears to be a calcium def. I've been running my nutes(v+b) pretty mild @ 1.0EC, so a minor deficiency wouldn't be surprising. I've upped the feed to 1.2EC, and I'm hoping that's enough to correct it. I'm trying to run as low of an EC as I can in any event.

Here's that nicely filling in field...
picture.php

And here's the deficiency. The plants are mostly nice and green, just random leaf tips are showing this. I believe it's a calcium def, but I know that v+b can mimic many deficiencies when it's too weak. Opinions are welcome.
picture.php

I'll be back with another update next week...:tiphat:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And here's the deficiency. The plants are mostly nice and green, just random leaf tips are showing this. I believe it's a calcium def, but I know that v+b can mimic many deficiencies when it's too weak. Opinions are welcome.
View Image

I'll be back with another update next week...:tiphat:

I don't recall if you've had a water analysis (try the calculator in my sig line...), but I would add somewhere from 1-2 grams per gallon of Epsom salts.

tableshaper

Question on GB... do you replace the reflector or clean it. Ive seen the post on cleaning it but I thought the actual reflective surface deteriorated with time?