What's new

Cyclone Yasi

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Cyclone Yasi is about to hit N/E Victoria, not wind but a shit load of water. Level 5 cyclone, that's just fucking crazy.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Well everyone survived that i know of
one guy did die due to asphixiation ,
had his generator running in a small closed room ,

some amazing stories coming from that night ,
most were terrified ,
must be horrid to have to face that destruction and then have to live amongst it while its rebuilt ,
those poor people will be shell shocked for quite some time id imagine , they could all use some therapy i should think to help ease them ,
i wonder if the govt sends any social workers to help with the stress they are suffering ??

High Country

Give me a Kenworth truck, an 18 speed box and I'll
Veteran
Well everyone survived that i know of
one guy did die due to asphixiation ,
had his generator running in a small closed room ,

some amazing stories coming from that night ,
most were terrified ,
must be horrid to have to face that destruction and then have to live amongst it while its rebuilt ,
those poor people will be shell shocked for quite some time id imagine , they could all use some therapy i should think to help ease them ,
i wonder if the govt sends any social workers to help with the stress they are suffering ??

We are lucky the eye of the cyclone did not cross a heavily populated area. It was more powerful than hurricane Katrina that got New Orleans, 1800+ died.

Social workers will get there, the stress on the locals must be enormous, especially after having endured cyclone Larry. Crops gone, houses gone, what to do next.

I used to work in Tully and know the area well. The banana farm I worked at has been flattened. On weekends I went to Mission Beach, great beach, destroyed. Sugar cane gone, jobs gone but it will get back to better times eventually, years from now.

The natural forces are enormous, very strong when they turn on you. Times are changing. Fuck You cyclone Yasi.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
yes high country ,,
those forests have coped that for eons ,
its mainly the deforestation that makes it impact the forests moreso ,
they were well used to the cyclones before man came ,
it weeded out the weak from the strong ...

according to the channel 9 show last night it was a regular occurance till the mid 70s , where there was a lull till recently .

every decade there was a devestating cyclone crossing the coast somewhere along queensland .. in those days there was no recording equipment , so no ideas of the ferosity other than the impact on communities ..