What's new

Cuttings for clones

mark1253

Good question, I'm hoping to take cuttings/clones from my ladies around a week before I harvest them.
I'm on my first grow so I dont have a clue about it so hopefully experienced growers will giveus thier opinions........:1help:

ReeferRon

I take mine about the 5-6th week of veg. Right before putting them into flower.

Although taking them from a flowering plant is possible, you will have much better success getting them from a plant still in the veg cycle.

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
i am not sure the best time to take the clones but i can tell you, you dont want to take them when you harvest. they say the best time is to take them before you are two weeks into flower. I have read that the best clones to take root are the ones that are towards the bottom of the plant. just my opinion......

S

Sir_Nugget

WOW u guys r noobs, but i'l help u, take cuttings, or clones from the top branches, so the lower branches can grow back and continually be cut

AndreNicky

U wanna take clones once the plant has shown preflowers if starting with seeds, clones cut from the lower branches will root faster then ones cut from tops of plant

G

When is the best time to take cuttings? At harvest time or...?

Hi journeyquest,

The best time depends on your situation and its constraints. As you can see there have been many answers, and will most likely they will continue to pour in. They are all correct in their own respect. :dueling:

Clones can be taken anytime during the plants life, but there is a higher risk with getting them to root (for some) taking them later in flower (4+ weeks). Often, instead of or in addition to taking clones at this point so late during flowering, a re-veg is done.

Look at the pro/con for taking clones at each stage of growth and you will instantly know which is best for your situation.

Some are limited on space, light, materials, ect...it could be anything. So what is best for someone, is not always best for another.

This might help get the ball rolling:

Timeframe P-pro C-con

-mid to late veg(before sexed) P-a breeze to root, nice tender shoots C-more materials (nutes, light, space) used for longer. Not sexed at this point.

-after sexed(up to 2 weeks into flower) P-already sexed for preference, still easy to work with cloning, can find tender shoots still. C-uses up materials similar to above (a bit less).

-after harvest/re-veg P-No extra space needed, no extra light, or materials. C-more risk in keeping the genetics alive, although still do-able. Takes more time after the fact.

This is just simple/generic pro and con. Strain and pheno have a lot to do with it also, as does method of cloning and skill. Some will find luck with strains that show sex while still in veg, or some simply veg weeks longer than another and will get to see sex. Its a very variable topic is all journeyquest. Did not intend to go on and on.

Stasis may also be of use to some, or at least it can be used as a backup alternative until all the kinks are worked out or in case of emergency.

Stasis is keeping cuts, but not rooting them right away. Cuts can root after being in stasis anywhere between 2 weeks and a few months if proper conditions are met. http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=5325&highlight=stasis

Hope this helps

johnathanvpr

any clones cut in the "flower" stage will root a few days sooner than clones taken from a "veging mother", the downside of taking them from a "FLOWERING MOTHER"is they have to reveg/regenerate which will take an extra 3-7 weeks to show new growth depending on strain and how far into flower the plant was. also a issue with taking clones that have to reveg, they will only yield probably 2/3 the mother yields unless you veg for more than 6 months prior to flowering. hope this helps, my first sets of clones were from "flowering mothers". I would avoid taking them from plants in flower. if you wanna germ seeds, sex them, and find a pheno? I suggest labeling the females that you are going to flower and take a clone or 2 of each one and label, if you find a pheno, turn that labeled clone into a mother. peace VPR

G

any clones cut in the "flower" stage will root a few days sooner than clones taken from a "veging mother", the downside of taking them from a "FLOWERING MOTHER"is they have to reveg/regenerate which will take an extra 3-7 weeks to show new growth depending on strain and how far into flower the plant was.

Yes! what I was trying to say. The lack of N in flower (assumed), right?

great post john, thanks for clearing that up :joint:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I take mine ASAP. Usually from the bottom most stems so as not to lose the top cola.

clones cut from the lower branches will root faster then ones cut from tops of plant

My lower cuts root in 12 days, tops in 7.

I dont think i want to cut from top b4 flowering. Bottom yes. Dont want to affect the main bud and shape of plant. So if veg time is roughly 4 weeks in cab and flowering is 9 weeks then i need a second grow room for clones? How many rooms to keep cloning? Something doesnt make sense here. Six months prior? :wallbash:

Grinchy

I dont think i want to cut from top b4 flowering. Bottom yes. Dont want to affect the main bud and shape of plant. So if veg time is roughly 4 weeks in cab and flowering is 9 weeks then i need a second grow room for clones? How many rooms to keep cloning? Something doesnt make sense here. Six months prior? :wallbash:

Cut off your lowest shoots as they won't grow big buds anyways. Use those as clones. Don't top your plants unless you are still in veg, preferably atleast a week before flowering.

I dont think i could even smoke 3 oz of good bud a year by myself. So whats left over goes mostly to my friends and some gets stored away.

Ganjagrower1

T5-1000W
Veteran
WOW u guys r noobs, but i'l help u, take cuttings, or clones from the top branches, so the lower branches can grow back and continually be cut
well i dont know who the noob is but i know for sure you dont take your clones from the top of the plant. I am sure you can but you can get the clones taken from the bottom root much faster. so before any one can call any one a noob people should do some research first.:joint:

JazzJazz

So true!!

So true!!

well i dont know who the noob is but i know for sure you dont take your clones from the top of the plant. I am sure you can but you can get the clones taken from the bottom root much faster. so before any one can call any one a noob people should do some research first.:joint:

Well said Ganjagrower...If you top your plant you can use that as a clone but in general you take from the bottom and side branchs. Topping will control your height and make it bush out for you for more clones IMHO.

Peace,
Jazz

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I'm normally not a topping kind of guy. I'm only doing it to speed the process of finding a keeper. By topping ASAP, putting them in the cloner and flipping the lights on the donors I can shave 2-4 weeks off the process. If I like the donor, hey, I got a clone.