What's new

Cutting Edge Vs. General Hydroponics

Drfter

Its what there calling Blueberry Yum Yum, but you know how that goes, it my be that here and called blue dick in the uk, it was a couple clones I got off a buddy of mine that got them out of a Bakersfield club. its not what I normally grow, Im more into a sog of Sant Cruz og, thats got to be the best pot, really piney and really stoney, not really a huge yielder but practice makes perfect. I would like to get my hands on some seeds for some Afghan but I just dont know where to go.

Im feeding them tap water, my water comes out of the tap at about 175-200 ppms so its pretty good, I dont have to use much cal/mag until about week 5 or 6, ill start adding a little bit if need be,

Right now there on Day 23. I found some Sugaree and did a change out on the CES bucket, and to keep things fair Im going to get some flora licious for the GH bucket, I cut out the FoxFarms shit until week 5 im going to hit them again.

Well Be Carefull with Tap and CES, Cholorine and Chloromines are you enemy, I also use Hum Tea with the mix, Always use a Hydrologic tallboy and KDF Filter for my water

Drfter

Here is a Pic of my RDWC CES Garden just to Compare too. Not High Jacking and this is only 6 Plants total!

Attachments

• 2011-02-21_19-24-40_390.jpg
    2011-02-21_19-24-40_390.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 10

dirkvid

I'm so glad to see this discussion going. I'm new B and am legal in Co so i had to get growing sometime so, I picked up the cutting edge at the hardware store and started growing. Without comparing and asking around i just started using it. It's priced fair seemed like a indy co with out all the marketing etc.
Saturday I had a real nice long and informative discussion with August the guy who started making the nutes for the family in humbolt when he was a teenager. Wow I'm totally stoked about this stuff and the tips he gave me to keep it growing good in Colorado! He mentioned to me that he like to overdrive the plants to the edge at 1st and ease off in the end. So hey use a little less if you are worried about over fertilizing your hunnys.

brotherindica

Kronically Ill
Veteran
I'm so glad to see this discussion going. I'm new B and am legal in Co so i had to get growing sometime so, I picked up the cutting edge at the hardware store and started growing. Without comparing and asking around i just started using it. It's priced fair seemed like a indy co with out all the marketing etc.
Saturday I had a real nice long and informative discussion with August the guy who started making the nutes for the family in humbolt when he was a teenager. Wow I'm totally stoked about this stuff and the tips he gave me to keep it growing good in Colorado! He mentioned to me that he like to overdrive the plants to the edge at 1st and ease off in the end. So hey use a little less if you are worried about over fertilizing your hunnys.

Nice find! What CES nuted did you end up picking up? Personally love the micro/bloom and really like uncle john's blend. Good line made by very friendly people. Good luck with your grow!!

dirkvid

I've been using micro/grow/bloom in veg. Just micro/bloom until now, 2nd week in bloom. August kicked down the sample pack and suggested I use the uncle johns and plant amp until they need the flush. Now I'm using everything but the Mag and put some Hygrozyme in too.

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
Cutting edge works ok but is not even comparable to GH.

Run it in a system that is sensitive to high salt content and see what happens.

Also I have never had a need for an additive that only contains Cal. and not Mg.

Also I have never had a need for an additive that only contains Cal. and not Mg.

Well fortunately Im not running any systems that are ensitive to high salt content, Im assuming your talking about some sort of drip system or something along those lines and even so they make solutions for salt build up.

At this point im neither for or against either product, but your not giving much of an argument of why GH is so much better, Cause Ive heard the exact same thing sadi about GH, No disrespect but there has to be more to it than that, have you had a bad experience with it?

Both my plants seem to be equally sized and proportioned and im not seeing much difference in the two.

taker easy dude.

brotherindica

Kronically Ill
Veteran
Just a quick update,4 weeks in!

Looking good Dig. Have you tried introducing a PK booster yet?

Hmmmm. I agree on the Cal & Mag additives being separate, can see the point, but I use Cal-Mag myself.

Where I can't agree at all is 'not comparable to GH' when they're about the same formula. Can't say I've ran the whole line, but their micro/bloom/uncle john's blend is some good stuff. Never had problems with salt build up in ebb & flow (coco & hydroton), soiless mixes, and RDWC. Been running it awhile now and IMVHO it's a great nutrient. Where did you have problems?

Here are a couple pics.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

@ Bro hey nice work! I added KoolBloom powder to the GH bucket when I did the res change earlier today, and I'm using Sugaree and Gravity on the CES bucket, I actually have some PK 13/14 from canna I thought about using but im not sure yet I might give each bucket a dose, next week the night before I change out the res. being at the first day of week five and fresh nutes im a littel gun shy about over fertilizing since my last grow in the 4x4 closet completely Hermed out. it was all in an ebb n flow 3x3 tray. different system, still uncertain of why it hermed but only the blueberry hermed not the blue trainwreck or purple kush, so maybe just the strain. takin it easy any way though, i figure as long as i dont burn'em they will do what they naturally do.

dirkvid

I've been using micro/grow/bloom in veg. Just micro/bloom until now, 2nd week in bloom. August kicked down the sample pack and suggested I use the uncle johns and plant amp until they need the flush. Now I'm using everything but the Mag and put some Hygrozyme in too.

It's time of a nute changing in a couple days making it end of week 3. Should i add Green Planet nutrients Massive, with the rest of the CES?? I also have some fox farm stuff too, just not sure.
thanks!

It's time of a nute changing in a couple days making it end of week 3. Should i add Green Planet nutrients Massive, with the rest of the CES?? I also have some fox farm stuff too, just not sure.
thanks!

If it were me, I wouldnt add it just because I dont know what it is. Ive actually never heard of it, so no. however if your in with the guys from cutting edge they would be the ones to ask.

MY GH RESULT

MY GH RESULT

All I use is GH Flora series 3 part with a little extra Mg from Bonticare or regular Epson salt. Here is my previous cycle with GH. The Pic with the Buds drying was only 3 of 12 Plants and weighted a little over a pound after fully curing.

GOOD LUCK MATE! :wave:

Last edited:

brotherindica

Kronically Ill
Veteran
thanks!

Sounds like a good time to introduce a PK booster. Can't say I've heard of Massive, but it looks like a decent combo of PK/carbs which plants should love. Reviews appear positive too. I'd start very slow with any new, untested, nutrient....especially PK boosters.

Only worry would be if it had a very thick consistency and clogging in some hydro systems.

What kind of system are you running Dirk?

All I use is GH Flora series 3 part with a little extra Mg from Bonticare or regular Epson salt. Here is my previous cycle with GH. The Pic with the Buds drying was only 3 of 12 Plants and weighted a little over a pound after fully curing.

GOOD LUCK MATE! :wave:

Killer garden Dr.Greenthumb!!:tiphat: