What's new

Cup Categories? poll

Cup Categories? poll

• growers and breeders in 1 big cup?

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • growers and breeder each have seperate categories in the cup?

Votes: 36 61.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
roflmao :yeahthats:

this was the first suggestion by me too, wanted to get roors made and inscribed for the winners. but i got jumped on and told that people want inscribed roor cups instead. apparently bongs can be bought any time......

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cup Categories? poll

I was gonna suggest a tshirt for entrants and judges. When you enter a 5k walk or whatever you always get a tshirt...

I know itd be a little troublesome getting everyone the right size AND get shirts done in time for the cup due to all kinds of happenstance. But how cool would that be? A fucking tshirt!!!

Im a XXXL/tall if it means anything haha

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
roflmao :yeahthats:

this was the first suggestion by me too, wanted to get roors made and inscribed for the winners. but i got jumped on and told that people want inscribed roor cups instead. apparently bongs can be bought any time......

well, an engraved roor honoring your grow skills cannot be bought any time, or can it?

maybe the cup can also function as a stash at least?

peace!

HOPS5K

Lover of Life
Veteran
Is this for the cup you guys have over there across the pond? or does actually happen in the states?

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gaius, as you yourself say, 90% of the strains out there are hybrids. That's exactly why a "Hybrid" classification is needed, otherwise you have sativa leaning hybrids going up against 16-20 week hazes/pure sattys. Not a fair comparison imho. Do we really need the same haze dominating the competition this year, while a slew of worthy sativa leaning strains go unnoticed?

Floridian

Veteran
I'd like to see curing and trimming competition too.Give two people identical buds from the same plant and see which is best in the end.Also trimming competition would be a gas watching two goofballs trimming their asses off

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like to see the small guy going up against the big guys...Bring it ...Oh it's on lol...

Floridian

Veteran
I should be trimming right now lol,god how I fuckin hate it.Love growing and smoking but hate frickin trimming!

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
so far we never got a 16 to 20 weeks sativa that was entered, as far as i remember. but yeah it's not ideal, you tend to get less sativa leaning strains anyway, if we would divide real sat from hybrid sat things would really get complicated and the competing field would be so small. we will just have to hope that if a 16 to 20 week sat is entered it will stick out and be chosen by the judges for wake and bake sessions to fully appreciate it.

festivus

STAY TOASTY MY FRIENDS!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think the Cup should mirror what's happening in the real grow world. Really, what percentage of growers are running long season sativas now a days anyway? Maybe 10%? Most sativa heads are looking for shorter flowering varieties.

If the competition remains the same, wouldn't amnesia or some other haze win the Sativa Category every time? Recombining genes to get that winning super sativa is still hybridization. To qualify for a straight sativa or indica, wouldn't it have to be a landrace so as to avoid the hybrid classification?

It's not that complicated, Sativa, Indica, Hybrid and Concentrates.

It would be really helpful if someone was tasked with documenting the entries with photo's and the corresponding entry numbers, as a reference.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
lol yeah simple, except the majority seem to want breeder and growers categories too. so now we would be at 6 categories, ending with 18 cups plus 3 for hash. which means the sat category will likely be so small that it's hardly a competition. anyway we were planning to call them Sativa dominant, or indica dominant. while it would be amazing to have a landrace sativa category, how many that grow that kind of sativa would actually enter? and how do you stop a5 being entered in the real sativa category? i just see practical problems to having a real sativa category. just like the landrace category that gets talked about a lot, or the autos. personally i'd love to have a judge pack with real 16+ week sativas, just never saw one in the entries the times i've been at this event.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cup Categories? poll

To qualify for a straight sativa or indica, wouldn't it have to be a landrace so as to avoid the hybrid classification?

Two words my friend: Blood Weed

No time for this years cup but im gonna see about getting blood entered in the 2014 cup.... At least ill get 2 or 3 runs at it first to try to dial it in haha.

If the same thing keeps winning, its kinda weak to change the 'rules' folks need to step up their game.

Thatd be like lower passing grades in school... Why lower the bar? Fuck it jump higher is the way i look at it.

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
KISS

Keep It Simple, Stupid

brash and easy hahahaha

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very pleased to see things turn out the way they did, i avoided trying to sway anyones vote in this thread (or anywhere else for that matter) and it makes this result even more pleasing.
I also strongly agree that if there are not enough entries grower and breeder will be combined (fingers crossed it doesn't come to that).
Peace

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
yeah i tried to make the question as neutral as possible also trying not to influence things either way. as you know i wanted to do it in one big category for both growers and breeders, but i have gotten to like the idea of having it separate. i wonder who all voted which way, lol.

by starting so early with organizing and informing people, we should have no problem getting enough entries in the end. yeah fingers crossed.

truecannabliss

TrueCanna Genetics - Selection is art
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greyskull i gotta say that someone like yourself being interested in the 420 cup has me very excited about it to say the least, i seen your pics and will be flushing my entry a little bit more to stand a chance.....bring it on bro, gonna be very special indeed.
Peace

Greyskull

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Greyskull i gotta say that someone like yourself being interested in the 420 cup has me very excited about it to say the least, i seen your pics and will be flushing my entry a little bit more to stand a chance.....bring it on bro, gonna be very special indeed.
Peace

hahahaha
wait
oh shit...
IM FUCKED!!!!
did i say i was entering
im not entering
i might have a friend that was talking about it...
uhhhhh

LOL

whats not to be excited about - its an OPEN TO THE WORLD, blindly judged cannabis contest!!!! and the other entrants are folks i consider my peers and contemporaries... fucking aye alright!!!!

to see "where the bar is set", where my grow kung fu rates & compares versus my peers - thats what I want to know.
so i can improve.

I will say, with legality sweeping thru the US, a piece of hardware like a 420 cup would be nice to have on the ol' resume....