What's new

Cup Categories? poll

Cup Categories? poll

• growers and breeders in 1 big cup?

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • growers and breeder each have seperate categories in the cup?

Votes: 36 61.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
lets say you wanted to organize a cannabis cup, but you didn't know how many entries there would be.

would you:

A.- Have one big category for any cannabis, divided into indi dom and sat dom categories? 6 cups to be won.

or

B.- Have separate indi dom and sat dom categories for both breeders and growers? 12 cups?

many thanks for your votes.

L

LouDog420

My two cents... One big cup... Indica dom... Hybrids... Sativa dom... Concentrates...

12 winners, first-third in each category... Respect for taking the reins here gauis!!

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
In my experience... the sat/indy ratios claimed in the cups I've attended, have been a joke.

I'd suggest a compromise...
A. - 6 cups & an overall "King Dank Cup" award for all entries.

my 2 pesos

R

RustlewoodNW

maybe have best breeder a special award or special mention (for people who'd care about/want it, because some people arent into it), because I wouldn't be surprised if the best grower was also the best breeder; It'd be like an actor walking away with 2 globes or something.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
also consider it from the point of view of the people entering, they might like to have the odds of a prize increased by adding the extra category?

thought about a hybride category too, but really today 99% of the strains are hybrids, so in the end you can only go for the traits it has, either she leans on the sat side or on the indi side.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
aloha G

if the amount of entries is not guaranteed, but trophies are going to need to be designed and paid for regardless.... id keep it simple. 6 cups

which makes it harder to win. and makes the prize more valuable.

how are entries going to be classified... by the entrant?

thanks

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
seems to be close so far...

yeah you'd have to let the participants classify their own entry, the grower should know which direction his bud is trending, sat or indi...

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
i would think the judging criteria would be different?

judging the strain for the breeders and the product of the grower.

i know there seems to be no difference at first glance but i think we can all agree there is a world of difference when you think about it.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I voted for the 12 cup Cup.

all breeders are master growers being able to select and breed traits into their seeds. they should have their own categories to show and/or prove the potential of the seeds they've produced with finished bud

talented growers seem to get the most & best from their bud no matter who produced the (quality) seed they've chosen.

I think 12 cups would better represent all aspects of cannabis cultivation.......

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
everyone enter the cup this year
no bad turnout!

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
forget the details, it's a hypothetical question. there is no right or wrong answer imo. thanks for all the votes already in.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i had the idea to have a seedline category and a elite category and let anyone enter in either. it was an idea instead of plain breeders and growers. to have seed crosses in one and elites in the other. only problem would be theoretically how do you check which are seedlines and which are elites.

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
My whole point is... entering the elite cut they used to mother their untested F1's is just wrong. 'ala HTCC.

E

eric stoner

I voted for the second Opinion , because its kinda unfair to compare breeders who create new strains and growers who "only" select it
And i am a grower who want to present some Lemon Larry (alpine)
For me its fun Enough to have a contest with other growers and we all see whats coming new from the Breeders :tiphat::ying::blowbubbles:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
not wrong if they enter it in the grower category, only wrong if it's passed off as something it is not, or am i missing some thing?

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
you got it, passed off is what I meant, like past htcc's

nevermind my squabblin' :) I'll just enter my hybrids against the grower cat elites. That's a real test! ;)

Bones heal, chicks dig scars & glory is forever! lol