What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cuomo announces for legal recreational

igrowone

Veteran
looks like game over, the legalization bill has struck out
current talk is about more decriminalization and better medical access
mixed feelings, the no grow stuff was a deal breaker for me
but it would have been a big step forward

shaggyballs

Veteran

I am sorry to hear things did not go like you had hoped!

That step forward may have been a step you can never get back.
We all know it is wrong to lock folks up for a medicinal plant.
Quit with the lies already, let folks out of jail.
Stop locking people up for it NOW!
Cops and judges are making big money from cannabis but they still play the same stupid game.

We do not need legalization to stop locking up good folks for bad reasons.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
looks like game over, the legalization bill has struck out

Taking weed production and sales away from the traditional market that supports small families and individuals and dropping it into the hands of the insatiable wealthy is no "big step forward".

Legalization is just a money grab and it has zero to do with social justice. Weed is never regulated like alcohol in the US, it's just about taxes, campaign contributions and increased inequality.

Adult use laws are destroying the few decent medical markets that were in place that allowed small growers a semi legal way to supply stores.

This time right now, the medical era is the golden age of weed and legalization is going to turn it into a corporate fast food boof fest.

You have no clue about the shit weed coming your way after the traditional market is crushed domestically the way we crushed it internationally at the end of the 70s.

igrowone

Veteran
Taking weed production and sales away from the traditional market that supports small families and individuals and dropping it into the hands of the insatiable wealthy is no "big step forward".

Legalization is just a money grab and it has zero to do with social justice. Weed is never regulated like alcohol in the US, it's just about taxes, campaign contributions and increased inequality.

Adult use laws are destroying the few decent medical markets that were in place that allowed small growers a semi legal way to supply stores.

This time right now, the medical era is the golden age of weed and legalization is going to turn it into a corporate fast food boof fest.

You have no clue about the shit weed coming your way after the traditional market is crushed domestically the way we crushed it internationally at the end of the 70s.

i haven't bought weed in 30+ years, i see others here with similar situations
people making a living are going to feel different
and i would gladly support legislation that would preserve the small grower's niche
but that's not going to happen, at least not legal-wise
perpetual illegal but enforced lightly leaving the small grower in peace?
just not realistic, and no way in NY(eventually)

Dick Dankerson

At this point I would have been happy with what Illinois ended up with.$100-$200 fine for up to 5 plants grown at home. Well they teased us pretty bad here at the end but, game over for 2019.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Didn't see this when it dropped in May.... funny how she knew seven weeks ago that this was dead but meanwhile the media kept pumping it up n the news nonstop.

Legalization Soon in New York? “No Shot”

Senator Diane Savino, an influential voice in the cannabis debate, explains how adult use lost steam, why home grow is unlikely, and for which far-ranging medical reforms she’ll push.

PUBLISHED ON MAY 2, 2019 6:55AM EDT
NEW YORK

Alyson Martin
@alysonrmartin
Co-founder of Cannabis Wire.

This month could be a tipping point for cannabis legalization in New York. After lawmakers failed to reach an agreement on adult use in time for it to be included in the state budget, April 1, a spokesperson for Governor Andrew Cuomo told Cannabis Wire to “expect conversations will pick up in earnest” in May. Well, it’s May, and so far conversations don’t seem to have coalesced any more than the last time we checked in.

Cannabis Wire co-founder Alyson Martin joined Senator Diane Savino on the FAQ podcast yesterday to ask about where legalization conversations went wrong, and what to expect from the efforts to expand the state’s medical cannabis program.

According to Senator Savino, the April 1 deadline simply didn’t provide enough time. Lawmakers needed to try to convince officials from areas like Long Island that had come out strong against legal sales, and they needed more time to come together over exactly how equity provisions should unfold. “One after the other, you had local governments saying, ‘We don’t want it in our backyard,’” Savino said. “And that just created more anxiety from members who were teetering on the fence.”

One overall question for Savino was: Did Cuomo put his political capital behind legalization in the budget negotiation process?

“I’ve worked with this man a long time now, so I know when he really wants to do something, he knows how to get down in the trenches and negotiate to a final solution. So, I didn’t see that happening here, and I’m not sure why,” Savino told me and FAQ co-hosts Harry Siegel and Fordham professor Christina Greer during an interview for the podcast (you can listen to it in full later today by going to FAQ.NYC).

“I would suggest it’s possible he knew this wasn’t going to happen, because of all the opposition that was coming from different points of view,” Savino said. “He was going to take it on the chin if it didn’t happen. And so, let the legislature take the blame. And that’s kind of the way it shook out. So, will he take another stab at it? I don’t know. Yeah, I think it’s too soon to tell.”

Where does that leave the legalization negotiation? What’s the timeline?

Legalization, as a standalone bill, Savino said—“It really has no shot. And that’s where we find ourselves now.”

She pointed out that “If those same legislators wouldn’t vote for it today as a standalone bill, the likelihood that they’d vote for it in an election year becomes even slimmer. So, I think that the long term prospects are: You’re looking at two or three years before we get to a legal adult use market, unless something changes that I can’t see.”

That doesn’t necessarily mean that Savino and her colleagues are giving up on legalization, however, even if it stalls over the next year or two:

“The truth is, there’s an awful lot of opposition to it, from a whole bunch of different perspectives, that it was simple enough to just let it go. And not fight the fight. But I think it’s a fight that needs to be had, and we’re going to continue working on it.”

Savino previously told Cannabis Wire that she was going to be working on the expansion of the medical cannabis program. Yesterday, Savino doubled down on that goal.

When medical cannabis was passed in 2014, Cuomo “was not really a big supporter,” Savino said. “He fought me every step of the way. And as a condition of signing of the bill once he realized that I had the votes, and I was going to bring it to the Senate floor, he forced in some compromise on it,” Savino told me and FAQ. This narrowed the program’s number of license holders at first to just five, each able to open four storefronts. “In a state with 19 million people, it was just so ridiculous. But you know sometimes you have to compromise to get the legislation done,” Savino said.

So among the many changes that Savino is eyeing for the medical cannabis program is increasing the number of dispensaries: The state, she noted, has just under 100,000 patients.

“So we need to double the number of dispensaries minimally. We need to add more registered organizations. We need to eliminate conditions as a requirement and leave that up to doctors and patients. We need to lift the restriction on smoking,” she said, referring to the ban on smokable medical cannabis products in the state.

When asked if patients can soon expect to be able to grow their own medical cannabis, Savino said “I doubt that.” And while there was “almost a possibility” for patients to do so in Cuomo’s legalization plan, Savino said she’s “not sure that will survive the expanded bill.”

“The truth is, if you’re going to have a legal, regulated market, it’s hard to manage home grow. I don’t know how you really do that,” Savino said. “And every state that has it, has said to us, ‘Don’t do it.’”

geneva_sativa

ahhh, yeaaahh

the greed of the state,,, what a dilemma

“The truth is, if you’re going to have a legal, regulated market, it’s hard to manage home grow. I don’t know how you really do that,” Savino said. “And every state that has it, has said to us, ‘Don’t do it.’”

,,,of course, she doesn't know how to manage home-grows ,,, because it would mean they would have to mind their own goddamn business and let people be,,, political leeches don't know how to do such things

OldCoolSativa

ahhh, yeaaahh

the greed of the state,,, what a dilemma

,,,of course, she doesn't know how to manage home-grows ,,, because it would mean they would have to mind their own goddamn business and let people be,,, political leeches don't know how to do such things

I couldn't agree more. I think we need a new political party called the Leave-Us-The-Fuck-Alone party. We would be despised by both democrats and republicans. Which would be awesome.

igrowone

Veteran
Didn't see this when it dropped in May.... funny how she knew seven weeks ago that this was dead but meanwhile the media kept pumping it up n the news nonstop.

Legalization Soon in New York? “No Shot”

Senator Diane Savino, an influential voice in the cannabis debate, explains how adult use lost steam, why home grow is unlikely, and for which far-ranging medical reforms she’ll push.

PUBLISHED ON MAY 2, 2019 6:55AM EDT
NEW YORK

Alyson Martin
@alysonrmartin
Co-founder of Cannabis Wire.

This month could be a tipping point for cannabis legalization in New York. After lawmakers failed to reach an agreement on adult use in time for it to be included in the state budget, April 1, a spokesperson for Governor Andrew Cuomo told Cannabis Wire to “expect conversations will pick up in earnest” in May. Well, it’s May, and so far conversations don’t seem to have coalesced any more than the last time we checked in.

Cannabis Wire co-founder Alyson Martin joined Senator Diane Savino on the FAQ podcast yesterday to ask about where legalization conversations went wrong, and what to expect from the efforts to expand the state’s medical cannabis program.

According to Senator Savino, the April 1 deadline simply didn’t provide enough time. Lawmakers needed to try to convince officials from areas like Long Island that had come out strong against legal sales, and they needed more time to come together over exactly how equity provisions should unfold. “One after the other, you had local governments saying, ‘We don’t want it in our backyard,’” Savino said. “And that just created more anxiety from members who were teetering on the fence.”

One overall question for Savino was: Did Cuomo put his political capital behind legalization in the budget negotiation process?

“I’ve worked with this man a long time now, so I know when he really wants to do something, he knows how to get down in the trenches and negotiate to a final solution. So, I didn’t see that happening here, and I’m not sure why,” Savino told me and FAQ co-hosts Harry Siegel and Fordham professor Christina Greer during an interview for the podcast (you can listen to it in full later today by going to FAQ.NYC).

“I would suggest it’s possible he knew this wasn’t going to happen, because of all the opposition that was coming from different points of view,” Savino said. “He was going to take it on the chin if it didn’t happen. And so, let the legislature take the blame. And that’s kind of the way it shook out. So, will he take another stab at it? I don’t know. Yeah, I think it’s too soon to tell.”

Where does that leave the legalization negotiation? What’s the timeline?

Legalization, as a standalone bill, Savino said—“It really has no shot. And that’s where we find ourselves now.”

She pointed out that “If those same legislators wouldn’t vote for it today as a standalone bill, the likelihood that they’d vote for it in an election year becomes even slimmer. So, I think that the long term prospects are: You’re looking at two or three years before we get to a legal adult use market, unless something changes that I can’t see.”

That doesn’t necessarily mean that Savino and her colleagues are giving up on legalization, however, even if it stalls over the next year or two:

“The truth is, there’s an awful lot of opposition to it, from a whole bunch of different perspectives, that it was simple enough to just let it go. And not fight the fight. But I think it’s a fight that needs to be had, and we’re going to continue working on it.”

Savino previously told Cannabis Wire that she was going to be working on the expansion of the medical cannabis program. Yesterday, Savino doubled down on that goal.

When medical cannabis was passed in 2014, Cuomo “was not really a big supporter,” Savino said. “He fought me every step of the way. And as a condition of signing of the bill once he realized that I had the votes, and I was going to bring it to the Senate floor, he forced in some compromise on it,” Savino told me and FAQ. This narrowed the program’s number of license holders at first to just five, each able to open four storefronts. “In a state with 19 million people, it was just so ridiculous. But you know sometimes you have to compromise to get the legislation done,” Savino said.

So among the many changes that Savino is eyeing for the medical cannabis program is increasing the number of dispensaries: The state, she noted, has just under 100,000 patients.

“So we need to double the number of dispensaries minimally. We need to add more registered organizations. We need to eliminate conditions as a requirement and leave that up to doctors and patients. We need to lift the restriction on smoking,” she said, referring to the ban on smokable medical cannabis products in the state.

When asked if patients can soon expect to be able to grow their own medical cannabis, Savino said “I doubt that.” And while there was “almost a possibility” for patients to do so in Cuomo’s legalization plan, Savino said she’s “not sure that will survive the expanded bill.”

this corporate c**t finished up with how home growing is an unsolvable problem
but in the same 'speech' states that it was public sales that actually killed it
the average voter has no problem with people growing on a small scale in their home
just no smell, no tell, and no sell - our own slogan
corporate blood suckers of course have a great deal of problem with home growing
it's the nature of being a blood sucker

shaggyballs

Veteran
Rev. Al Sharpton
Marijuana legalization in New York can't just be about making money.
It should be about making amends.
The wounds from the war on drugs run deep in communities of color.
We must reject legislation without reconciliation.

igrowone

Veteran
time to hit the gong and awaken the thread
for just like last year Cuomo has announced for legal cannabis in NY
give us our home grow rights Andy!
or prepare for a full court press by We The People

igrowone

Veteran
a new year, a new legalization bill seems to be in the works
except it's not really new
NY's version of Anslinger is determined the new bill will give no allowances for growing
the last time this was shot down and no legal for NY
now Andy has gotten his testicles in a vulnerable position with his Covid/nursing home choices
it would be nice to get rid of him now, I'll say he was ok for the covid
but others can do the same work, common sense for the most part
his weed hate has become an impediment
how say the forum? time for him to go?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
I am so glad I lived to see this day after all these years of being deceived by corrupt politicans!!!!

https://nypost.com/2021/03/24/new-y...cc=evening_update&mpweb=755-9327744-719802042

I will be shocked to get similar rec home grow rights as Cali, but you lived long enough to see them sell newspapers...

"Recreational stoners could even cultivate up to six plants each, or a dozen per household, but a big bummer in the agreement would make them wait to start growing their own until 18 months after the first dispensary opens, the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle said."

hmm, what's that all about???

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
420club
"Recreational stoners could even cultivate up to six plants each, or a dozen per household, but a big bummer in the agreement would make them wait to start growing their own until 18 months after the first dispensary opens, the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle said."

this is interesting wording, is it 18months after the first shop opens in the state or in your city?
/i also like how they paint the rec user as a stoner

hopefully this is another step in the right direction for the nation