What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cuomo announces for legal recreational

igrowone

Veteran
the game is afoot, money is the prize
kind of sucks for those who just want to grow their own in peace
if the pigs want money then make a case that home growing helps fill their trough
and i think it will
what do you get with dispensaries that have no competition?
garbage weed, foul tasting, foul smelling
the result is just more of good old illegal, because the legal shit is really shit
more competition makes them raise their game, they can sell good weed
bring everybody into the legal fold, you make more cash, fewer small arrests that cost the state money
if you want to do it right

Dick Dankerson

I've been waiting for him (Coumo)to lay out the plan. My fear was he was going to ban home growing knowing what a greedy blood clot that he is. I hope igrowone is right and there's some push back on this part of the legislation. I did hear that the Rhode Island governor was proposing to legalize and not include any home growing. That's the only other state or country to not allow some level of home growing.
So 22% tax for the state, 2% for the county for retail. I think the free/black market will continue to thrive and prosper in NYS.

igrowone

Veteran
no doubt about it, cuomo is dirt
we'll need to watch the process real close, doubt the encouragement is needed
cuomo has committed to legal
that will make any veto less likely, he wants this over quick
6 legal plants was what is in the last bill, if i had any bargaining power i'd meet in the middle at 4

Dick Dankerson

So I attended one of the listening sessions this past fall that they held all over the state. Since they held one in my city I was sure to attend and voice my opinion on the need to allow home grows. There were several others there who voiced the same message. I'm not sure how this will play out but I'm hoping and praying there's a compromise and some plant count is allowed.!

Blest_II

The taxes here in NY already irritate me. Then I was pissed when he started about the window tint on cars. If he legalizes it then makes it where its still illegal to grow, I might just lose my mind. Trying to act like a Cartel being the only source.

Cannavore

Veteran
i can't believe dumb shit new yorkers re-elected cuomo... enjoy that 20% tax and additional sales tax.

moonymonkey

voting for cannabis seems like it dosent do well UNLESS the person @ the top in in favor of legalization he,s voting for us and telling us what we like..seen states vote for it for 4-5 years like 80% after that its like a year or 2 later it will pass cuz i think the peoples rights are being infringed on reaching statue of limitations on dening what the people have voted for on for more the 5 years is were the BUUCK STOPS...democracy ts called...ul always vote never it let stop...peace mm/

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Surprised nobody mentioned the growers tax, $1 per gram on flower, 25cents per gram trim.

Cali taxes growers $150 a unit, NY that times three.... Plus it all has to move through special transport driving the prices higher still.

Legal weed in NY will be so crazy expensive nobody will bother beside the rich city folks.

Blest_II

I seen it, I just wasn't worried about it. I don't like paying the taxes as it is up here. So I'll definitely be going out of my way to avoid this one. The others are out of my control with property/income tax though. Unless I quit my job and don't own anything taxable property wise.

Honestly though, I'm imagining anything state run to be grown like the worst commercial you've ever smoked. I'm doubting they would take the time to do a properly timed harvest/cure. Rush, rush like everything else up here.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Whoa! The journalism on this has been lacking.

It's part of the budget so we can assume in April this will be law if they don't do some last minute deal to fuck patients and it changes the state medical regs to allow med patients and caregivers to grow four plants and to hold a six month supply.

Also it separates industrial hemp from cannabis grown for cannabinoids intended for human consumption.

So farmers can't grow high CBD or CBG or whatever hemp without a special license.

Growers and retailers will be limited to keep prices high, it's right in their plans.

By Neil M. Willner of Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
January 18, 2019
Overhauling the State’s Medical Marijuana and Industrial Hemp Markets along the Way

As part of his $170 million budget proposal for fiscal year 2020, Governor Andrew Cuomo revealed his plan to legalize and regulate adult-use cannabis. The decision to include adult-use legislation in the budget signals his intent to legalize recreational marijuana within the coming months. Since the New York State Legislature must approve the budget by April, New York could see adult-use cannabis much sooner than expected.

The adult-use legislation, called the Cannabis Regulation and Taxation Act (CRTA), establishes the Office of Cannabis Management (OCM), within the Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, to oversee New York’s adult-use cannabis market, medical marijuana market and hemp cannabis market.

Adult-Use Cannabis

Legalizing recreational cannabis for adults 21 and older, CRTA would create six adult-use license categories:

Cultivator license

Processor license

Cooperative license

Distributor license

Retail dispensary license

On-site consumption license.

Like New York’s Alcoholic Beverage Control Law, CRTA prohibits vertical integration, banning overlapping ownership interest across multiple license categories. For example, it will be unlawful for cultivator licensees, processor licensees and distributor licensees to have any ownership interest in a retail dispensary license or premises.

However, the proposed legislation gives the OCM’s executive director the authority to grant medical marijuana licensees (Registered Organizations) − which are required to be vertically integrated − the ability to be “licensed to cultivate, process, distribute and sell adult-use cannabis.”

Cultivator licensees, under CRTA, can grow, clone, harvest, dry, cure and trim cannabis, and will be required to sell cannabis to processors only. But cultivators also can apply for one processor and one distributor license.

Processor licensees, on the other hand, will be permitted to extract and infuse cannabis to make cannabis products and package and label those products. Processors must purchase cannabis from cultivators and can sell cannabis to distributors only. Processor licensees can have up to three processor licenses.

Distributor licensees can only distribute and sell cannabis purchased from a processor (or a Registered Organization under certain circumstances) and sell it to licensed retail dispensaries. It will be unlawful for distributor licensees to have any economic interest in any retail dispensary license.

Adult-use retail dispensary licensees only can sell cannabis directly to consumers. No person may have a financial or controlling interest in more than three retail dispensary licenses. This restriction, however, does not prohibit Registered Organizations from obtaining adult-use retail dispensary licenses at locations previously registered by the Department of Health and in operation as of April 1, 2019. Under the current medical marijuana regulations, Registered Organizations can have up to four medical dispensary locations.

Additionally, dispensaries would not be permitted to sell more than one ounce of cannabis per consumer per day, nor more than five grams of cannabis concentrate per consumer per day. CRTA creates an affirmative duty for dispensary employees to encourage consumers whom they suspect may be abusing cannabis to seek help.

Finally, the OCM will have the authority to grant on-site consumption licenses to retail dispensaries. On-site consumption licensees cannot sell more than one gram of cannabis to consumers for on-site consumption.

Governor Cuomo’s proposal would tax cultivators at the rate of $1 per dry weight gram of cannabis flower and $0.25 per dry weight gram of cannabis trim. Wholesalers would be taxed 20 percent of the invoice price to retail dispensaries, plus an additional 2 percent county tax.

Counties can opt out of the legislation and ban the sale of cannabis within their borders.

While clear parallels exist between the proposed adult-use legislation and New York’s Alcoholic Beverage Control Law, CRTA would prohibit integrating alcohol in cannabis products.

Medical Marijuana

CRTA also proposes sweeping changes to New York’s medical marijuana regime, potentially opening the door to new Registered Organizations. Currently, there are only 10 vertically integrated Registered Organizations licensed to cultivate, process and sell medical marijuana in New York.

Under the proposed legislation, the executive director is authorized to register additional Registered Organizations under an expedited registration plan. Should licensed medical marijuana operators from other jurisdictions seek Registered Organization status, the executive director can grant them a license so long as the laws of the other jurisdiction are consistent with New York’s legislative intent. If this piece of the legislation remains in the bill, it could help sustain the continued growth of New York’s medical marijuana industry.

Unlike the current medical marijuana legislation, CRTA provides that certified patients and their designated caregivers may grow up to four cannabis plants, implying that certified patients will be permitted to smoke flower, a means of consumption that is not currently legal.

Moreover, hospitals, nursing homes and other care facilities can register as designated caregiver facilities, permitting the facilities to possess, deliver, transport or administer medical cannabis to certified patients under its care.

CRTA also permits certified patients to possess up to a 60-day supply of medical cannabis, compared with the 30-day supply limit under the current legislation.

Cannabinoid-Related Hemp Licensing

CRTA distinguishes “industrial hemp” from “hemp cannabis,” leaving industrial hemp under the purview of the New York Agriculture and Markets Law.

Hemp cannabis is defined as the plant Cannabis sativa L. and any part of such plant with a THC concentration of not more than an amount determined by future regulations, used or intended for human consumption or use for its cannabinoid content.

CRTA creates a “cannabinoid grower” license and a “cannabinoid extractor” license. Cannabinoid growers will be permitted to cultivate and sell hemp cannabis for its cannabinoid content. Meanwhile, cannabinoid extractors will be permitted to extract and manufacture hemp cannabis from licensed growers for sale of products marketed for cannabinoid content and used for human consumption.

Like adult-use cannabis, the proposed legislation expressly prohibits the integration of alcohol in hemp cannabis products.

Blest_II

I just want to be able to grow and not have to be paranoid about going to prison over it. I might just have to move back to Colorado.

merc500

the big dogs don't give a flying____ what the laws will be never did will still have control and so be it ! Mario

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
Interesting new penalties spelled out in the 200 pages of NY canna laws, if you are convicted of growing, selling, manufacturing illegally NY takes all property associated with the crime, lights, equipment, weed, buildings and land even if you were renting it.

Also the state will set a minimum markup pricing on all products meaning retailers can't discount old or unpopular products.

All edibles are single serving size packed, no large chocolate bars, no bag full of gummies, everything single packed.

Legal weed gonna suck balls in NY if this passes as proposed.

igrowone

Veteran
Interesting new penalties spelled out in the 200 pages of NY canna laws, if you are convicted of growing, selling, manufacturing illegally NY takes all property associated with the crime, lights, equipment, weed, buildings and land even if you were renting it.

Also the state will set a minimum markup pricing on all products meaning retailers can't discount old or unpopular products.

All edibles are single serving size packed, no large chocolate bars, no bag full of gummies, everything single packed.

Legal weed gonna suck balls in NY if this passes as proposed.

dear lord, that would suck in the worst way
hard to fathom it with respect to existing law and attitude
guerilla growing becomes the better option
gonna do some serious reading on this

OK, did some reading, here's what i see

3382. Growing of the plant known as Cannabis by unlicensed persons. 5 A person who, without being licensed so to do under this article or 6 articles three, four or five of the cannabis law, grows the plant of the 7 genus Cannabis or knowingly allows it to grow on his land without 8 destroying the same, shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

class A misdemeanor
not great, but they don't confiscate property over a misdemeanor
would need to see where you thought the bill says otherwise
it's complicated and changing all the time
but glad to see interested people watching the thieves in Albany

and found the forfeiture clause you were referring to
seems to be for a sales type operation
not too different from current law

led05

Chasing The Present
dear lord, that would suck in the worst way
hard to fathom it with respect to existing law and attitude
guerilla growing becomes the better option
gonna do some serious reading on this

OK, did some reading, here's what i see

3382. Growing of the plant known as Cannabis by unlicensed persons. 5 A person who, without being licensed so to do under this article or 6 articles three, four or five of the cannabis law, grows the plant of the 7 genus Cannabis or knowingly allows it to grow on his land without 8 destroying the same, shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.

class A misdemeanor
not great, but they don't confiscate property over a misdemeanor
would need to see where you thought the bill says otherwise
it's complicated and changing all the time
but glad to see interested people watching the thieves in Albany

and found the forfeiture clause you were referring to
seems to be for a sales type operation
not too different from current law

I agree, The forfeiture piece didn't seem to make any sense to me either, especially the part where even if renting the property can be confiscated. So Every landlord in the state of NY can have their assets confiscated for crimes committed within them they are unaware of?

Hypothetical : So say I own a building with 400 tenants and one of them commits rape, or "far worse" has some plants in the closet; do I lose the whole building, or just that unit? How does one take a unit in a large building, or do they take whole building and kick all tenants out etc etc.... Or is it just for weed, one can commit murder and they keep the property but if growing a plant they lose it? I mean this doesn't pass the smell test to me

Reality is IMO - The Federal Government needs to finally Deal with this matter and lay down the Fkin law, 2020 likely will create a scenario where this finally comes to a head and the plant is either legalized or at least rescheduled much more favorably paving the way for ultimate legalization.

igrowone

Veteran
it's the context of these clauses in the bill
forfeiture for those who would thumb their nose at the state, i.e. not pay the state its cut
now for us closet growers, same old situation provided you're a small grower
but this shit is moving all over the place, written in stone it's not
pray and email, pray and email, that's my chant

Latest posts

Latest posts