What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CSN-17

J

JackKerouac

CNS-17 is awesome.

CNS-17 is awesome.

I don't understand about the hype about nutes being pH adjusted. Once you get your CNS17 adjusted to 6.0 with pH up and down, the saying goes "If the pH goes up, she's hungry, if it goes down, she's thirsty." PH adjustment is necessary whether they are adjusted in the first place.

Also, this stuff is thick. I suggest a whisk or a wand blender ($7 from wal-mart). It also helps adjust your pH more quickly and aerate your NS.

Also CNS17 is awesome. I start with about 2.5 ml for newly rooted clones and go up to 15 ml at the peak of bloom. Humic and Fulvic acid will make these cheap nutrients stretch even further.

The great thing with hand feeding or recirculating drip is that they tell you if they need more or less nutrients by their shade of green. There is never any deficiencies or burning, these nutes and medium are just so versatile by what the ladies tell you by the color of their leaves.

N

Neptune

if it requires some extra flushing versus adding 2-3 more parts just to obtain respectable results ill do the extra flushing because plain water and some Ph down

for the record, the only additive needed for PBP is CalMag. And it seems you are adding PH adjusters to your CNS17 which seems like an additive to me. PBP needs no PH adjustments. So, seems to me they both require 1 additive. Your "loss of yeild" theory of using PBP is falacious, and you seem to believe the quality of CNS is somehow better aswell... No one has experienced this but you so far. Everyone I have talked to says they will stay with pbp, for quality reasons.

The quality of PBP product is great, while still being able to utilize organics in hydro. What the "guys at the hydrostore" sell more of is irelevant. Look at sales of Advanced Nutrients, for example.

Its like this is the "whole foods" of pot, where we want top of the line fully organic pot, nothing wrong with that at all, but most people are just fine shopping @ their local safeway, or whatever grocery chain they have at their disposal.
Whole Foods is superior to safeway, but that too seems unrelated to this argument. Are you a hippy hater by chance? ;) Got something against organic agriculture?

Quality and Yeild has never been better since switching to PBP, so I take your coments on it lightly.

CNS17 and RO water are a match made in heaven. No matter how much I add, small dose or big dose, it always PH's itself to a perfect 5.8 (no PH up or down). Since i'm growing in SunShine mix right now they like a PH of 6, so I use some Silica to bring up the PH.

It's time for more people to try out CNS and put up some grow logs on it, I know I will be soon.

B

Boxy Brown

surfingrob said:
It's time for more people to try out CNS and put up some grow logs on it, I know I will be soon.

I will in a couple weeks, not in coco but hydroton, strain will be mandala seeds Kalichakra :rasta: (there still in route from SB)

Last edited:
Ahh great choice on the strain, i'm planning on ordering it soon so I will definitely be watching that grow. I'm setting up another op which is going to be a botanicare coco grow with CNS. I'm setting up the location as I type actually, its going to be a small medical op for a friend with 2kw worth of flowering and 500 watts of veg and a mother/cloning setup. All CNS17 and RO water only. I'll get pics and a journal up of it soon.

ELEV8D

hey surfingrob-

earlier i think you posted that using cns17 you yielded 0.9gr/watt?? How much lighting were you using and how many plants??

also- how likely is it that using cns17 will clog my airstones? I'm currently running a 600 watt DWC setup with two tubblers

ELEV8D said:
hey surfingrob-

earlier i think you posted that using cns17 you yielded 0.9gr/watt?? How much lighting were you using and how many plants??

also- how likely is it that using cns17 will clog my airstones? I'm currently running a 600 watt DWC setup with two tubblers

It was under a 1000 Sungro aircooled with sensi star as the strain. I can fit 32 in a pretty tight SOG underneath the light. I pull almost 2lbs (about 30 ounces) from a 1000 watter using my soilless mix and CNS17. I will be soon be running botanicare coco with CNS17 and I expect to get well over 1g/watt with the proper additives. However, I will also be using straight CNS17 and RO water for experimental purposes to see how well it does by itself in plain coco.

When I was running a recirc DWC I needed to change my airstones about once a month cause they would get clogged up. My solution was to stop buying the cheap blue rock onces from PetCo and buy the nice high quality ones from the hydro store. Those never got clogged. I forget the name of them but they are significantly more expensive.

G

Lets get nerd!!
Slurry Technology: from Max Yeild Article
There is an article about 1,2,&3 part nutes and it mentions why 1 parts work so well and how they are able to avoid percipitates. Im going to type from the magazine. This is probly the technology behind CNS17.

It says that 1-parts NOT based on ST are usually short at least 1 macronute due to the difficulty providing a concentration level comparible to 2&3 part nutes. This is mostly due to the relations between Calcium and Sulfate; any meaningfull amount of these two together will precipitate into CalciumSulfate (CaSO4) This preciptate usually canot be homogenized to enable blended dose,OR they form crystalline that also cant be mixed up. (see FNova)

So this can be avoided by using the ST. Slurry is a suspention of mainly CaSO4 solid (which I think is the white shit in CNS) within the solution containing a balance of macro and trace elements. When shaken up it remains homogenized for sufficient time to dispense a uniform dose. Once the dose is added to water and briefly stirred the CaSO4 suspension dissolves immediatly. THe use of a slurry enables the manufacturer to exploit the solubility limits of Ca and SO and squeeze more nute species into a given volume...