What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cryogenic Gylcol Process Chillers for CLS

HWY36

I decided to get 100% Propylene glycol for my application. RV Antifreeze has a freeze point of 8F, but reports stated that freezes at a slightly higher. The MSDS for the RV Antifreeze states it as:

Propylene Glycol - 25-30%
Water - 64-70%
Glycerol - 4.0-5 mg/m3
DiPotassium Phosphate - 0.5-1%

I think the RV fluid work perfectly fine for your application, but so would 100% PG, which is probably a bit more food safe for incidental contact. Filling up a chest freezer takes at least 20-25 gallons, which is quite expensive. I would say get 100% Propylene glycol and then cut it yourself with water to get the temp range that you want.

WFF

Thx, where you getting you're PG from?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Cool thx. I didn't realize it was that expensive. For that price couldn't I just use Isopropyl? What about the stuff that A6 recommended that's only $65 for 5 gallons?

SDS for Cryo-Tek 100 says 40-60% PG and 60-40% Water (not sure how that works haha), but regardless it is cut with h20.

I am not sure how much volume that you need to cool, but if you only need temps above -20C, I think that you would be able to cut pure PG at least 1:4, so $30 would yield 5 gallons of coolant that is tailored to your exact needs.

WFF

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
As for using Iso, I use this for my baths and traps that need really cold temps. 100% Iso and dry ice cools to -76C. I mix Iso and PG together in different ratios if I want a warmer temp. 80% Iso and 20% PG with dry ice will yield a temp around -55C. 20% Iso and 80% PG with dry ice gives around -35C. You could mix iso or etoh with water, but chances are higher for evaporation.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Dowfrost, huhm. If anyone wants EG in drums, they may know that the nearest big industrial solvent supplier probably has Dowtherm or equivalent in stock, because that's what industrial size loops use.

HWY36

SDS for Cryo-Tek 100 says 40-60% PG and 60-40% Water (not sure how that works haha), but regardless it is cut with h20.

I am not sure how much volume that you need to cool, but if you only need temps above -20C, I think that you would be able to cut pure PG at least 1:4, so $30 would yield 5 gallons of coolant that is tailored to your exact needs.

WFF

I didn't even see that 60-40, 40-60 monkey business. Didn't think about the 1:4 possibility either, thx.