Veteran
IMG_20231109_093129_edit_1515355490037000.jpg
the durbies are durbin
IMG_20231109_092933_edit_1515256944088577.jpg
and the Jammies are jammin'

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Ah, I guess am update here is long overdue.
After a good week of neglect I came back to this
IMG_20231127_090450_edit_1998859816394993.jpg

The hose line dropped on the durbies, the sensors didn't plug and the babies got overwatered, thank goodness they're young.
Detail of the JLB IMG_20231127_090600.jpg these look healthy and vigorous. Same pot, same conditions:
IMG_20231127_090608.jpg dunno why they didn't develop as well.
Me Durbies😍 IMG_20231127_090701_edit_1998981190363724.jpg don't worry about the pipe, it didn't do damage and it's not hard plastic, the young'un is just leaning against it.

BC LONE WOLF

If the pheno is superior from the pack why not?

Thinking of leaving it out of the breeding program out of fear the trifoliate could affect outcome of your F1s?
——
I would still use them and separate the seeds from the pack, if your F1s have a commercial destination I can understand.

She looks awesome. Could give you a fasciated main cola.

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
If the pheno is superior from the pack why not?

Thinking of leaving it out of the breeding program out of fear the trifoliate could affect outcome of your F1s?
——
I would still use them and separate the seeds from the pack, if your F1s have a commercial destination I can understand.

She looks awesome. Could give you a fasciated main cola.
Hehe, you never know,
my initial thought was to set them aside and hope for one male and one female, so I can bump the chances for CannaTris :p in the future generations, and hopefully make it a stable trait.

But then I am seeing that this one is rather the more vogorous of all the 5 Durbans, so I'm on the fence, my reason dictates I should use it for breeding, cons: downstream someone might not appreciate the trait.

dilemma....
EDIT: even worse, there might be a very unappealing recessive I am not seing rn.

Wwbsox

Should I use these in the breeding project or keep them aside? View attachment 18927114 View attachment 18927115
Durban
I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground, but... I will give you my buck-two-eighty-nine reply.
Is it possible that these anomalies are caused from in-breeding these pure strains? And if so, would using them exacerbate the effect? Compare it to plants that have a tendency to hermie. If you are using those plants in your breeding, the progeny will continue to display that trait, correct? In the end, your call, but I think you are doing great things!

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground, but... I will give you my buck-two-eighty-nine reply.
Is it possible that these anomalies are caused from in-breeding these pure strains? And if so, would using them exacerbate the effect? Compare it to plants that have a tendency to hermie. If you are using those plants in your breeding, the progeny will continue to display that trait, correct? In the end, your call, but I think you are doing great things!
Thank u. I appreciate feedback, this diary is both a way to show the genetics I work with (or torture would be a better description) and as a wall to bounce ideas off.
From my observations these "trifoliates" have not come out of my own inbreeding, as I try (big emphasis on try) not to inbreed too much and I try not to bottleneck as I carry out open pollination when I'm maintaining a line, unless I'm making a new cross (if they are not spectacular, I usually do small batch not meant for commercial distribution or being part of my conservation "effort") .
That said, they seem rather vigorous compared to other mutations I've come across, and its other Durban siblings too. Hence my sudden interest in actually trying to cross it. Now, seeing that the JLB also showed one tristemmed (that "corrected" itself by the first internode tho) does make me think it might be an inbreeding trait, as the breeder is adamant about it's inbred status.
However, considering that JLB stems from Africa (partially) as does Durban i see it more as a shared ancestry trait and because I have observed more random trifoliates show up from the Durban (I started from 10 durban seeds of which I selected 3 females and 2 males both of which cross pollinated the three females, but I'm unaware if they're inbred or open pollinated or crossed before I started working with them, I'd love to send it to a gene lab for markers.) which is supposedly less selected than the JLB I'm more prone to think that in the JLB the trait has been selected against (which imo explains why all my JLB trifoliates try to correct into difoliate asap, survival bitches!).

All this is but conjecture.
State of the art
17017571666471893943633868986466.jpg

Normannen

Anne enn Normal
Veteran
Hello my fellow Cannagraphers, today we have a big annonse to make:
We have identified our first mamas! The Bois are taking their time showing some cojones, but that's only normal when you're facing the death sentence. Here's the first Turban female (hehe get it? Murban, Durban, Turban... 1,2,3? Cause it's three leaved? No? Fine, still, I'll call it Turban to differenciate it from Durban)
IMG_20231214_150106.jpg

It ended up being the tall one as I had hoped, now I'm crossing all appendages in the hopes the li'l Turban is a male, so I can lock in the trait.
Here is the first Jamama (Jamaican mother)
IMG_20231214_150115.jpg