What's new

Critique my SOG plans.

F

flat5th

WOOOO!

WOOOO!

Went to Home Depot today and found this baby!!!

picture.php

This is more like the brand name one found at Lowes. It's the same size as the one I have, but the most obvious improvement is the BLACK LID!!! The squares on the lid are better arranged making this a well laid out aero cloner/vegger. It might be a little tight for SOG bloom though.

anyways. i love these tubs and i'm glad i snatched this one up. I hope they have the black lid models near you.

Peace!
Fifth.

divenosa

Thanks for hitting all my questions. WIth your advice an inline seems like a better choice when running multiple tubs. After checking TheBigTomato.com it seems like they've got some good stuff so maybe i'll pick it up there.

The tubs at my home improvement stores are identical to yours except they only have the yellow top available and the raised squares are turned 45* so everything is in a rectangular grid. Strange that they're turned the way they are in the pic you posted because you lose two sites(22 on the tub in the pic to my 24). Not a deal breaker but strange. I'll try to get some pics posted this weekend.

Yeah it might be a little tight for bloom but in the SeeMoreBuds videos those guys sling everything in there in 2" netpots, 100 sites in a 4'x2' tub. This should be (my math might be wrong) nearly the same number of plants per square foot.

Either way, the Aero/NFT/hybrid whatever system you want to call it gets results so I'm looking forward to this grow in the tubs. I'll be watching and enjoying your show.

F

flat5th

Cool man. I'm glad you were able to find those tubs.

yeah, the ones i saw at Lowes had the straight on squares...24 spots like you said.

I'm glad the black lid i have has squares even though they are at a 45 angle. It's got 22 spots...as opposed to my yellow lid that has only 17 spots because they are kinda stretched diamonds and not square. bummer...oh well...i don't plan on SOG with these tubs. I think i'll use the black for my new aero cloner...i dunno...i don't know what i'll use it for, but i couldn't pass it up.

SeeMoreBuds does cram those babies in...but also remember...in the ~300 plant grow he lost ~100 to mold and suffocation.

lookin good my friend!

Fifth.

divenosa

Alright- got these tubs ready for some SOG. Where I'm at humidity isn't a problem so hopefully it'll be a good run. Now it's time to crack some Speed Queen beans and maybe some Hashberry. This run will be an experiment in the tubs done DWC/Sprinkler style, after which I'll link a few together with an inline pump and a remote rez, sprinkler/aero/nft style. These tubs are the shit, like you said they were made for aero! Forgot to add that I tracked down the black lid and it's definitely the way to go if painting them white. It was a PITA painting the yellow lid.
picture.php

Last edited:
F

flat5th

I chopped the green and northern skunk down this past weekend. 8.5 oz looks like the final numbers. Rhino comes down in another 4 weeks. It's looking very large.

Pics to come.

Love,
fifth.

F

flat5th

Hey there.

Here's a few pics of the harvested GREEN.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It dried for about 5 days, put it into jars and it's been curing for about a week now.

This was going to be my last run with green. It's a tough grow and i haven't been able to figure out what it wants. I've ph'd it everywhere from 5.0-6.2, light feeding, heavy feeding, no matter what it grows stupid looking leaves and long, spindly branches. But the smoke report this time has me thinking I'll run it every now and then for a change of pace.

I don't smoke anymore, I'm a vape-man, so that's how i gotta review it:

Strain: GREEN
(i gotta think of a better name, green is just the color of the
toothpick used to identify the mystery seed and clones.)

Growing Conditions:
400w HPS (with bleed over from a second 400)
Low Pressure Aero SOG
Lucas 0-8-16
Avg Temps: 75 Night / 83 Day

Flower time: 51 days (7-8 weeks usually)

Grow notes: stays relatively short. Lots of weird leaves that block light, very branchy, kind of hard to control. This is why I was going to give it up. On the plus side: The buds that do grow are rock hard and keep their shape after drying. My favorite thing about growing this plant is that any popcorn/lowerbuds aren't fluffy. They are small...but they are hard, full nugs that are a delight and perfect for sharing with broke-ass friends.

Yield: 2.5 oz off 5 no-veg clones. Average 14g/plant (not too bad!)
Hard little nugs, super red hairs, moderate frost, nice bag appeal.

Smell: Not a very strong odor, kind of old world perfume. Doesn't stink up the room or your pockets.

Taste: When i vape it wet it tastes like cheez-its. Now that it's dry and curing it's more of a pleasant herbal taste, similar to it's odor. Not very strong, but a very pleasing after taste. EDIT - After another week of curing and vaping, i'm noticing a bit of a Dill flavor, like those dill potato chips. That's a weed flavor i've never heard before.

High/Stone: Hit it and quit. 3-4 good hits off the iOlite get me totally lifted. It's a strong head high that will make your eyes red and heavy. After a few more hits you'll become very relaxed and sink into the chair while you can't feel your limbs. A bit giggly, but definitely a sleep inducer when coming down. One little popcorn bud fills the iOlite chamber, so it's very easy on the stash.

Grow: 5/10 - can't figure out why it grows so wacky.
Finish time: 10/10 - I can't argue with 7 weeks
Yield: 7/10 - 14g/plant even with all the wacky growin. nice.
Smell: 8/10 - Not very strong, but kind of an elegant aroma
Taste: 8/10 - Same as smell.
Stone: 7/10 - Pretty narcotic. good for stress relief, night time TV sessions, and bed. Not good if you have serious shit to do, Eyes get really red, body gets really relaxed.

Overall: 7.5/10

F

flat5th

Man. Fuck this aero shit.

I forgot to plug my pump back in after I cleaned the filter. 24 hours without water. Pretty sure I just lost 2 more crops.

Looking for the positives in this. One table is at 10/12 weeks and I've chopped at 10 before and it was great. But I was hoping to let it go all 12.

The other table was at 6/12 weeks and is nowhere near ready.

So I'm behind AGAIN. But at least I'll have room to start a whole bunch of new stuff. Got some chronic almost ready to flower. A few white rhino scrogs.

Sucks hard. Totally my stoned fault.

But goodthings are on the horizon.

Check your shit before you leave your grow room for the day.

Fifth.

Thanks for the heads-up on a cheaper tub that can be used! I'm going to Lowes to pick one up as I've been wanting to try Pirates method but can't afford a flood table atm.

F

flat5th

Thanks for the heads-up on a cheaper tub that can be used! I'm going to Lowes to pick one up as I've been wanting to try Pirates method but can't afford a flood table atm.

Cool man. Glad the info was useful.

Keep me posted on the progress, will there be a thread i can subscribe to?

thanks!
fifth.

Strains

just lettin you know that im watching ;) subscribed to follow your future grows with their inherent mishaps :D

loving your style.

- Strains

Excellent job Dude!!:bow:

Long time fan/Advocate of "The Lucas Formula" and DWC and KISS. Been awhile since my last go round back in the CW/OG days of old. So anyway its a new day and the sun is shining once again. So I'm really really thinking of ditching the DWC that has always worked so well and going with these new Aero tray set ups. Ive read most of Pirates thread and now this one as well. What I didn't see or read was are you 2 topping your Res with straight R/O and then doing a res changes every 2 weeks or so? Or are you using the nute add back formula to get the ppms back to 1320 or so? Also I did read your using tap water? So Im looking for your res management protocol as far as add backs.

Also wondering if you 2 are using airstones or powerhead's in your Resovoirs for added oxygen, aggetation.

F

flat5th

Excellent job Dude!!:bow:

Haha. Thanks for the kind words mate. With all the goof ups I've had lately, I'm glad to hear someone thinks I'm doing a good job.

So I'm really really thinking of ditching the DWC that has always worked so well and going with these new Aero tray set ups.

Right on brother. Keep 2 5gal buckets going until you get the hang of the Aero thing. It's not that hard, but I've effed up more often then I imagined I would and having backup would have been nice.

Ive read most of Pirates thread and now this one as well. What I didn't see or read was are you 2 topping your Res with straight R/O and then doing a res changes every 2 weeks or so? Or are you using the nute add back formula to get the ppms back to 1320 or so? Also I did read your using tap water? So Im looking for your res management protocol as far as add backs.

I do a full res clean and change every Sunday (or at least I'm supposed to...LAZY!) I fill my Res with 16 gallons of plain tap water (not RO) and nute it up with the ol' lucas 0-8-16. That brings me up to just about ~1300 and pH around 5.5. I also have an auto top-off reservoir that holds 16 gallons, so i'm constantly adding plain tap water (pH ~7.4) back to the solution. I keep an eye on it every day.

There are 3 things I look for: pH, ppm, and level of the auto-topper res.

If pH is higher, then I know ppm is low due to plants eating nutes and auto-topper adding back plain water. I will add back nutes to the main res (no formula for addback, just a gentle guess till pH is good or i hit the ~1300 mark).

If pH is lower, then i know the plants are drinking more water than nutes and I need to probably get the heat under control. haha.

Checking the level of the auto-topper lets me know how much and how fast the plants are drinking.

They'll drink all 32 gallons in 3 days mid-late flower. I keep the levels maintained throughout the week, so it's kind of like I'm constantly changing the res...more like recharging it. But i always strive to do a full change out every 7-10 days.

Also wondering if you 2 are using airstones or powerhead's in your Resovoirs for added oxygen, aggetation.

Nah. I did at first...but it was in the way and i didn't notice any real difference. If I were to add anything to improve my water, it'd be a chiller (already in the works)

Again, thanks for the interest. I've had 3 successful grows off this table and 2 total disasters. Right now i average 8 oz per table. But that is still far from dialed in. I think I can pull at least 10 oz once I quit fuckin' around and leaving pumps off. It's cool to hear that people find this thread useful in their research.

peace!
Fifth.

2stoge

Hey there.

popcorn/lowerbuds aren't fluffy. They are small...but they are hard, full nugs that are a delight and perfect for sharing with broke-ass friends.

:laughing: LOL

Sorry to hear about your pump. :wallbash: I do similar crap all the time. :noway: I think Im going to put a checklist on the door, that I have to run thru before leaving.

fish83

....pirate uses a 4 inch height, and flat5th uses a 7 inch height...I would think that the 7 inch is better, but am not sure, cuz i havent done these yet...please pirate and flat5th give me some feedback....i just found one with a 10 1/2 inch height...but its only 32x32...I love both the methods you guys use...I just wanna get the best option....is it 4, or 7, or 10-1/2....thankl you all...

F

flat5th

....pirate uses a 4 inch height, and flat5th uses a 7 inch height...I would think that the 7 inch is better, but am not sure, cuz i havent done these yet...please pirate and flat5th give me some feedback....i just found one with a 10 1/2 inch height...but its only 32x32...I love both the methods you guys use...I just wanna get the best option....is it 4, or 7, or 10-1/2....thankl you all...

Hey Fish.

Yeah, the more room for roots the better (within reason...). You can make anything work...it's just easier when you have more room. That 10.5" sounds nice.

Check out this tub
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=44066-51438-2921-002
I have 2 of these right now and they are awesome. 14" tall, perfect lid (try to find the black lid), heavy duty, $12.00...i wish i had found these before i built my 2 tables. I'm about to put one into flower. I'll take some pics tonight and do a log for that setup.

Go back and read from post #95 on...you'll see where i started with this tub and get some more info about it.

That is my best suggestion. Super cheap, very flexible, a great resource for aero and DWC growers. Snag as many as you can.

Flat, still lurkin, i'll post my show soon. Great thread!

Good to still have you around Divenosa. I look forward to seeing your setup!

On a side note, I started both tables at the same time with 3 different strains. I got 2.5 oz from 5 GREEN plants (7 weeks), I got 5.5 oz from 12 Northern Skunk plants (8 weeks), and i got 10 oz from 14 White rhino plants (10weeks). That's 18oz in 10 weeks! i'm very pleased with that...i KNOW i can do better.

I just cleaned out my entire flower room, got rid of a lot of clutter, simplified the whole setup, lights and ventilation. once i get plants in there I'll post new pics.

There's room for a third 400w hps now!!!

My TO-DO List:
Build pump timers
Add DIY Water Chiller
Add 3rd 400w HPS

Busy times ahead!
Fifth.

fish83

awesome flat5th....i was hoping to get good info, and u made it happen my friend....i only have one question....what it matter, because, say, like pirates tubs, they are only 4 inch, and the roots just lay there in the tray...would a make a difference if they were hanging more?...because i really dont know man....you seem to think so, but why...lol....i am not tryna be a pain in the ass my friend...just tryna get the best options here...the tray link you had in ur last post above seems awesome...i just wish it was 3x3, but it is what it is...i look forward to hearing more from you man....keep up the good work, and thanks again!

fish83

plus flat5th....i will have a 600 watter over each tray....i forgot to mention that! keep doin what your doin man! u r great for this site!

fish83

dude....im tryin to find the 10.5 inch deep tray i was talkin about, but cant find it....i looked at like 500 websites last night, and this is aggravating me bro! lol.....i want to find it, and post it on here for you to see.....lol...