What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Covid 19 mrna Vaccines...Yes/No?

Covid 19 mrna Vaccines...Yes/No?

• yes, gimme

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • not yet

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • no way

Votes: 47 51.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Tells me your mask stinks like stale smoke.

ROFLMFAO! yes thats just about what i expected from you. im sure thats all it tells you, because covid magically stays in your mask while the air goes the way of least resistance, you know magical covid phisics, lmao.

h.h.

Veteran
ROFLMFAO! yes thats just about what i expected from you. im sure thats all it tells you, because covid magically stays in your mask while the air goes the way of least resistance, you know magical covid phisics, lmao.

So your mask is clean?
No. It retains smoke particles. Nothing magic. No mystery. No bullshit.

h.h.

Veteran
What’s the rebound ratio of exhale?

Even if it comes out of the side of your mask, it’s travel distance is reduced. Of course that’s magic.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
What’s the rebound ratio of exhale?

Even if it comes out of the side of your mask, it’s travel distance is reduced. Of course that’s magic.

good job, only took you 3 tries to come up with something actually relevant, BRAVO!

for the deeper thinkers out there, yes it travels less far, but working together in an office for a few hours will reduce the benefits as the rooms air will slowly fill up with the virus if a sick person is in the room. masks give a false sense of security to people. its good for shopping and quick contacts, its useless over longer time periods in shared space. distancing is the only sure fire way to stay covid free. decent levels of vid d and c will help you fight it off if you do get it.

h.h.

Veteran
good job, only took you 3 tries to come up with something actually relevant, BRAVO!

for the deeper thinkers out there, yes it travels less far, but working together in an office for a few hours will reduce the benefits as the rooms air will slowly fill up with the virus if a sick person is in the room. masks give a false sense of security to people. its good for shopping and quick contacts, its useless over longer time periods in shared space. distancing is the only sure fire way to stay covid free. decent levels of vid d and c will help you fight it off if you do get it.

I just thought it was obvious. I only mentioned it because I realized some here can’t keep up on their own.

redlaser

Veteran
i know the Europeans are all the same to you, but Sweden is not Switzerland. we never went herd immunity. we have had a mask mandate since many months now and the numbers have just kept going up. in the end closing restaurants, bar and clubs is what slowly stopped the rise of cases but didnt reduce them. so tell me how masks are working when the numbers kept going up higher and higher even months after strict mask laws were implemented with people getting fined for smoking at a bus stop by them selves. so no the masks are not working to stop the spread. only distancing is working. the governments numbers speak a clear language.

just take a toke from a joint and hold it in, now put your face nappy on and exhale, what do you see? smoke rushing out on the side and on top and under. no smoke goes through the mask. what does that tell you?

gaius, if your able to read my mind about the European generalizations, you probably already know what I’m going to repeat about testing and contact tracing, and the uniform public and government response.

If your telling me all those pieces of the puzzle are in place, we will have to dig deeper for answers.

Taiwan had screeners at the airport within the hour of the Wuhan news, had an average of twenty-thirty people contact traced for each positive person. Even people that tested negative were required to quarantine. In the U.S. they don’t bother with contact tracing, at least effectively, or test unless symptomatic. No widespread testing to identify hotspots. Wife works in a facility with 35 positive workers and 45 positive residents as a running average . They get tested weekly but it takes a week to get the results because labs can’t keep up. The workers that have had the most contact with the covid patients (Red Zone) have not tested positive yet, using full PPE of course. It’s the people in the yellow and green zones catching it.

Hopefully your less like us and more like Taiwan but your numbers don’t sound like they support that.

The distancing is of course important, and needs to be coupled with the imperfect mask. Masks use or non use is the most easily identified compliance issue, here there are obvious believers and non believers, I would imagine it’s the same in a lot of places, but maybe not where you are.
Dust type masks aren’t 100% effective, but are more readily available, better options exist, but the recommendation for their use was to slow the mouth spit as I understood it. When they get downplayed because they are not perfect, it’s like tossing the baby with the bath water type deal. Better options exist but it’s not a focus to make them available nationally, an individual has to do it.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
gaius, if your able to read my mind about the European generalizations, you probably already know what I’m going to repeat about testing and contact tracing, and the uniform public and government response.

If your telling me all those pieces of the puzzle are in place, we will have to dig deeper for answers.

Taiwan had screeners at the airport within the hour of the Wuhan news, had an average of twenty-thirty people contact traced for each positive person. Even people that tested negative were required to quarantine. In the U.S. they don’t bother with contact tracing, at least effectively, or test unless symptomatic. No widespread testing to identify hotspots. Wife works in a facility with 35 positive workers and 45 positive residents as a running average . They get tested weekly but it takes a week to get the results because labs can’t keep up. The workers that have had the most contact with the covid patients (Red Zone) have not tested positive yet, using full PPE of course. It’s the people in the yellow and green zones catching it.

Hopefully your less like us and more like Taiwan but your numbers don’t sound like they support that.

The distancing is of course important, and needs to be coupled with the imperfect mask. Masks use or non use is the most easily identified compliance issue, here there are obvious believers and non believers, I would imagine it’s the same in a lot of places, but maybe not where you are.
Dust type masks aren’t 100% effective, but are more readily available, better options exist, but the recommendation for their use was to slow the mouth spit as I understood it. When they get downplayed because they are not perfect, it’s like tossing the baby with the bath water type deal. Better options exist but it’s not a focus to make them available nationally, an individual has to do it.

some reason based debate, nice.

i know Sweden and Switzerland can get confused, but we never went for the herd immunity theory as a nation. we do have contact tracing and a working covid app since summer. yes the tracing people have been overwhelmed during some of the sudden surges of cases, but everyone knows the 10 day isolation rule if anyone you had contact with tests positive.

but thats not what im talking about here, im talking about masks and how much they help to stabilize and or reduce the infection rate? we know that contact tracing works, we know isolation for the infected works. we know shutting places down where people breathe the same air for a prolonged period helps. its statistics, it's clear to see in the numbers. but when it comes to mask mandates there is no such clear visible difference in the statistics. in fact as i said even many months after we have all accepted the mask mandate as a necessity the numbers still don't get better till the additional measures are taken.

of course we still have to wear them, never mind that we get fined if we dont. any little bit helps, but don't think you can safely hang out for hours with mates, just cause you wearing a mask. or go work in a factory with hundreds of others sharing air.

also you can't really compare places where it never really surged in the first place with places where it did. but my hats off to those who saw the danger early and put competent people in place to deal with with it.

redlaser

Veteran
some reason based debate, nice.

i know Sweden and Switzerland can get confused, but we never went for the herd immunity theory as a nation. we do have contact tracing and a working covid app since summer. yes the tracing people have been overwhelmed during some of the sudden surges of cases, but everyone knows the 10 day isolation rule if anyone you had contact with tests positive.

but thats not what im talking about here, im talking about masks and how much they help to stabilize and or reduce the infection rate? we know that contact tracing works, we know isolation for the infected works. we know shutting places down where people breathe the same air for a prolonged period helps. its statistics, it's clear to see in the numbers. but when it comes to mask mandates there is no such clear visible difference in the statistics. in fact as i said even many months after we have all accepted the mask mandate as a necessity the numbers still don't get better till the additional measures are taken.

of course we still have to wear them, never mind that we get fined if we dont. any little bit helps, but don't think you can safely hang out for hours with mates, just cause you wearing a mask. or go work in a factory with hundreds of others sharing air.

also you can't really compare places where it never really surged in the first place with places where it did. but my hats off to those who saw the danger early and put competent people in place to deal with with it.

Haven’t really looked for mask stats to prove effectiveness, have seen some videos with people blowing smoke and sneezing into them, seems to help. Surgeons keep their mouth contents out of patients with them.
Better quality mask of course unless you have an n95 or better.

Hard to do an ideal study with a live virus since other precautions are likely being taken, unless it was simulated.

As far as real life proof of their effectiveness, there are several accounts of people being infected and not infecting others using only a mask. One that comes to mind is a hairstylist in Missouri that had covid, but her clients didn’t get it.
And medical workers that work with covid patients and don’t catch it, at least some credit goes to the mask. They have more PPE of course.

I use masks but realize they are far from perfect, you really need the shield to deflect as much much as possible before it gets to the mask, and it would offer some protection to the eyes. Haven’t been using one though.
Usually if out I’ll try and limit exposure by not being in a place long, and staying in motion, to keep out of any one individuals orbit relatively quick.

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Haven’t really looked for mask stats to prove effectiveness, have seen some videos with people blowing smoke and sneezing into them, seems to help. Surgeons keep their mouth contents out of patients with them.
Better quality mask of course unless you have an n95 or better.

Hard to do an ideal study with a live virus since other precautions are likely being taken, unless it was simulated.

As far as real life proof of their effectiveness, there are several accounts of people being infected and not infecting others using only a mask. One that comes to mind is a hairstylist in Missouri that had covid, but her clients didn’t get it.
And medical workers that work with covid patients and don’t catch it, at least some credit goes to the mask. They have more PPE of course.

I use masks but realize they are far from perfect, you really need the shield to deflect as much much as possible before it gets to the mask, and it would offer some protection to the eyes. Haven’t been using one though.
Usually if out I’ll try and limit exposure by not being in a place long, and staying in motion, to keep out of any one individuals orbit relatively quick.

Anecdotal but I had covid19 and shared space for 3 weeks with my friend who took care of me; even drove me to the lab twice and clinic once. We both wore masks consistently. He did not become infected.

h.h.

Veteran
Anecdotal but I had covid19 and shared space for 3 weeks with my friend who took care of me; even drove me to the lab twice and clinic once. We both wore masks consistently. He did not become infected.
That’s the thing.
We’re not always able to social distance. It’s good to have masks as a secondary defense. Redundancy is good.
Complacency can be overcome.
I’m glad your friend didn’t get sick. That was really good of them to do that.

redlaser

Veteran

Three weeks seems like a decent test, even if you weren’t able to transmit it the entire time. Would you say you have recovered, or is it too soon to tell?

I expect to get it, have gathered food and firewood for the season. (also find myself admiring my wood pile like yourself)
Had some leftover sheet metal siding I used to make an open sided 12x18 roofed structure just for the firewood, the wood is finally safe from moisture. Unless a tree falls on it, lol. Ponderosa pines have been getting the bark beetles here and there, so from time to time, they drop.

G

DoD study, as well as same or other from Ivy League source, -claims- that flying is safe, that the chances of becoming infected on a commercial aircraft are about 1:27,000,000,
or .003% chance... to which I initially think. "HORSE SHIT'

They -seem- to be claiming that if a passenger were on an aircraft near infection source, they would have to be on the plane for an average of (if I recall correctly) 53 hours, in close proximity.. to contract the virus, or have chance of it. (Same thought as above... And why use a DoD study? Did Uncle Sam suddenly grow a conscience where giving 2 shits about G.I.s' welfare is concerned? I don't -think- so.

But hey, they need the jing, right? Meanwhile, about a month ago, an article appeared in the Anchorage Daily news stating that ~1:20 passengers deplaning in Los Anchorage, are infected, or tested positive.

That would mean that out of approximately 200 passengers on a 737-900, there's at -least- 9 or 10 infected persons.

America's downfall over the recent half-century? Putting profits ahead of what really matters.

Still not ready to vax, maybe will after a while, but the numbers re. safety and such sometimes look more than a bit strange.

h.h.

Veteran
I think if the airlines were having problems, the media would be all over it.

G

I think if the airlines were having problems, the media would be all over it.

Anchorage Daily News, 2-4 weeks ago, if I recall, stated that 1 in 20 passengers deplaning in Anchorage were infected. They aren't in a mandatory testing situation until they deplane IN Anchorage.

But Alaska's standards re. new non-resident arrivals and testing, can only be enforced IN Alaska.

So, essentially we're flying folks up here, who deplane, they test at the airport or (???), and quarantine? Rejection and told to buy a return ticket now?

Anyway, re. the ADN, they've already identified the arrivals bring COVID to us as an issue.

I think the unknown question now, and probably very difficult to prove, is where or not folks on the planes HAVE been getting infected.

If their stats are accurate, then despite masks and continuous air-flow, I'm skeptical of their claims.

And again, a DoD study re. health and safety re. transmission o\f aerosols on aircraft???? They are NOT at the top of the list for folks I'd call. Hell, it took them close to 25 or 30 years to acknowledge that Agent Orange caused anything worse than chloracne.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran

so you wear masks and still got covid? how long did you share the same air with your friend after testing positive? maybe he has a natural immunity and is not ever gonna get it.

h.h.

Veteran
Why the hatred for masks? They’re not a 100% solution. Neither is social distancing. It’s all we have right now. You may get burned standing next to a fire. It’s no reason to jump in.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Why the hatred for masks? They’re not a 100% solution. Neither is social distancing. It’s all we have right now. You may get burned standing next to a fire. It’s no reason to jump in.

i didnt say i hate them or not to wear them. i said they don't seem to be helping to get the new infection rate down. i said that you shouldn't feel safe just cause you are wearing it. that doesn't mean things might not be even worse if folks were not wearing them. but it does mean what i said, the stats are unclear in any positive way for mask wearing. while they are clear when it comes to some of the other measures taken. its not a black or white thing, my position is nuanced.

but just in case, i even wore one in my own house when i had 1 friend over for a visit and so did he, only taking them down for a puff here and there on our own separate joints, with 3 meters between us and the window open to the freezing air. :D

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so you wear masks and still got covid? how long did you share the same air with your friend after testing positive? maybe he has a natural immunity and is not ever gonna get it.

I caught it when I decided to not wear a mask, outside on a bicycle path. As I stated Anecdotal. Anything is possible. At the clinic and lab, the staff are protected by masks just like mine. Are they all immune? They deal with covid all day long.

I have undergone very dangerous surgeries where the surgeon protected me from his germs with a mask just like mine.