What's new

COVID-19 Boots on the ground reports, what is happening in your town?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
News flash, life if fraught with risk. Deal with it, but don't expect everybody to have your same sense of fear. Some people drive SUVs with surround airbags, some ride motorcycles.

igrowone

Veteran
What the hell do you mean by un-inspected vehicle? I buy used trucks and work on them myself, never once took it into a shop to be fixed or "inspected".

I would be mighty surprised if your state doesn't require a yearly inspection
now I suppose it might be possible your a certified mechanic and go do the inspection
if I recall your state is Indiana, you're not driving around in a vehicle with no inspection sticker
but I've know outlaws like that, didn't work forever for them

'Boogieman'

I would be mighty surprised if your state doesn't require a yearly inspection
now I suppose it might be possible your a certified mechanic and go do the inspection
if I recall your state is Indiana, you're not driving around in a vehicle with no inspection sticker
but I've know outlaws like that, didn't work forever for them

I'm honestly surprised states require a yearly inspection. Im just a plumber honestly but my dad showed me how to work on vehicles since I was young. He always had beat up plumbing trucks so there was always something to work on. Most people where I live work on their own vehicles, most people don't have the money to go to a certified mechanic.

igrowone

Veteran
I'm honestly surprised states require a yearly inspection. Im just a plumber honestly but my dad showed me how to work on vehicles since I was young. He always had beat up plumbing trucks so there was always something to work on. Most people where I live work on their own vehicles, most people don't have the money to go to a certified mechanic.

apparently the standards are a bit different there
I'll check up later, guess my point was lost
but for commercial vehicles like 18 wheel rigs?
again it's just common sense, people/companies aren't free to run suicide wagons on public roads on a whim
maybe I won't argue with a suicide wagon for some as long as they don't endanger others

'Boogieman'

apparently the standards are a bit different there
I'll check up later, guess my point was lost
but for commercial vehicles like 18 wheel rigs?
again it's just common sense, people/companies aren't free to run suicide wagons on public roads on a whim
maybe I won't argue with a suicide wagon for some as long as they don't endanger others

I don't know about 18 wheels rigs, I know some truck drivers and could find out though.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Public Health is just words, it isnt good or bad, it can be both. people should be specific to avoid confusion. using public health to impose tyranny is bad public health policy, telling people to wash their hands and not to share air in a pandemic is good public health policy. wearing masks is still up in the air, i never saw data showing a great effect of masks on public health. closing offices on the other hand has a visible effect.

mowood3479

Veteran
Thank you for sharing that you have no understanding as to what pubic health is or involves and little interest in learning, as you demonstrate you enjoy spreading deliberate misinformation about it. Perspective and intent matters a great deal in life.

You didn’t answer my question about consent? What authority gets to decide who’s consent matters ? And whose consent is uneducated (and therefore not valid)

also what misinformation am I spreading about public health? Should be easy to point out at least one example?
im receptive to changing erroneous beliefs, why not educate instead of belittle?
I know u get surly when we are critical of the doctors and pharma industry you so love... (and that is apparently without reproach)... but I’d appreciate you taking the time to point out where Iam off base
thx gry

Amynamous

You didn’t answer my question about consent? What authority gets to decide who’s consent matters ? And whose consent is uneducated (and therefore not valid)

also what misinformation am I spreading about public health? Should be easy to point out at least one example?
im receptive to changing erroneous beliefs, why not educate instead of belittle?
I know u get surly when we are critical of the doctors and pharma industry you so love... (and that is apparently without reproach)... but I’d appreciate you taking the time to point out where Iam off base
thx gry

Forgive me for not seeing the forest through the trees, but what is your issue with consent regarding public health?

Also, while I agree that public health performed poorly in the US this past year, i believe the failure was due to an uninformed citizenry/media influence rather than anything inherent within public health protocols.

mowood3479

Veteran
Forgive me for not seeing the forest through the trees, but what is your issue with consent regarding public health?

Also, while I agree that public health performed poorly in the US this past year, i believe the failure was due to an uninformed citizenry/media influence rather than anything inherent within public health protocols.

A list of Public health measures of the last year implemented Without concern for the consent of the individual...

Govt mandated closing of buisness.. (mostly small and medium sized buisness) large big box stores mostly left to go about their biz
govt limits on free assembly (imho grossly enforced primarily on churches and small biz and right leading protestors)
Govt enforced mask mandates indooor + outdoor
Govt enforced travel bans and trade bans
Govt mandated school closure
+ An unprecedented In human history quarantine of the healthy

I have zero issue with experts in viral spread making recommendations and issuing guidance.... what I take exception with is government orders punishable thru violence
people should have the right to make their own risk assessments....

I could accurately argue obesity kills more people than covid (and is the biggest selector (besides age) for who will be hospitalized and die with covid)

why not mandate calorie limits for the obese? (I mean if it saves one life ...) a strict 2,000 calorie a day limit for those over a certain BMI...
those who don’t comply could be placed in re education camps to help improve their health...

Where do govt mandated public health measures stop? Why not lockdowns to prevent further global warming ? (An idea already posited by some prominent politicians)

if we are looking purely at mitigating a pressing “health” issue thru “public health” measures without regard to their impact on society as a whole.... then why not mandate everyone live only in a healthy + low risk manner all the time?

(to me) the argument for any of the above ludicrous examples is as strong as the argument for lockdown covid policies
we have data on places that didn’t adopt these covid measures and it’s hardly nightmare scenario we were warned of....

it seems to me the pro lockdown people’s only argument is that there intentions were good...
they say the same bullshit excuse about the war on covid as they do the war On drugs or the war on terror...

Iam skeptical of any government intervention especially done in the name of science (yet without the burden of looking at actual outcomes) ie the data...

would it be so bad if people were allowed the right to choose how to live their own lives? (Make their own risk assessments) The data shows us that the outcomes would have been close...

once all the costs are examined it becomes much cleared what a disaster these Covid policies were,

Amynamous

A list of Public health measures of the last year implemented Without concern for the consent of the individual...

Govt mandated closing of buisness.. (mostly small and medium sized buisness) large big box stores mostly left to go about their biz
govt limits on free assembly (imho grossly enforced primarily on churches and small biz and right leading protestors)
Govt enforced mask mandates indooor + outdoor
Govt enforced travel bans and trade bans
Govt mandated school closure
+ An unprecedented In human history quarantine of the healthy

I have zero issue with experts in viral spread making recommendations and issuing guidance.... what I take exception with is government orders punishable thru violence
people should have the right to make their own risk assessments....

I could accurately argue obesity kills more people than covid (and is the biggest selector (besides age) for who will be hospitalized and die with covid)

why not mandate calorie limits for the obese? (I mean if it saves one life ...) a strict 2,000 calorie a day limit for those over a certain BMI...
those who don’t comply could be placed in re education camps to help improve their health...

Where do govt mandated public health measures stop? Why not lockdowns to prevent further global warming ? (An idea already posited by some prominent politicians)

if we are looking purely at mitigating a pressing “health” issue thru “public health” measures without regard to their impact on society as a whole.... then why not mandate everyone live only in a healthy + low risk manner all the time?

(to me) the argument for any of the above ludicrous examples is as strong as the argument for lockdown covid policies
we have data on places that didn’t adopt these covid measures and it’s hardly nightmare scenario we were warned of....

it seems to me the pro lockdown people’s only argument is that there intentions were good...
they say the same bullshit excuse about the war on covid as they do the war On drugs or the war on terror...

Iam skeptical of any government intervention especially done in the name of science (yet without the burden of looking at actual outcomes) ie the data...

would it be so bad if people were allowed the right to choose how to live their own lives? (Make their own risk assessments) The data shows us that the outcomes would have been close...

once all the costs are examined it becomes much cleared what a disaster these Covid policies were,

Thank you for your response.
I have a better understanding of where you’re coming from.
I have a different understanding of the term “consent” than you do and probably a different belief of the role of government as well.
I believe that the primary role of government is to ensure the safety and security of the governed.
From time to time, that might mean that people’s individual rights are temporarily reduced in some way to ensure public health and safety. There’s actually quite a bit of precedence for this.
In my neck of the woods, the state and local responses were fluid depending on the severity the local situation. When local hospital ICUs were filled beyond capacity, and infection numbers were high, restrictions increased. When the levels went down and local hospital beds became available, the restrictions were relaxed. When the relaxing of restrictions led to an increase in infections directly related to indoor dining, state and local officials made some hard choices to protect the public and were able to focus restrictions where they needed to be, while relaxing others. Our state and local governments also mirrored the federal government and provided direct financial assistance to small businesses to help keep them afloat and also suspended impediments such as downtown parking fees, etc. As a result, these pro-health, pro-business strategies went a long way to keeping people safe and businesses intact, and combined with high vaccination rates, the state is coming out of this in a very strong position.
It’s sad and unfortunate that other locations did not manage the crisis as well.

We can also disagree about the severity of the virus, and I see no reason to beat that horse again.

I do agree with you regarding the threat of obesity. I have long believed that insurance rates should be weight based, but that’s a completely different topic of conversation. :D

igrowone

Veteran
I have a different understanding of the term “consent” than you do and probably a different belief of the role of government as well.
I believe that the primary role of government is to ensure the safety and security of the governed.
From time to time, that might mean that people’s individual rights are temporarily reduced in some way to ensure public health and safety. There’s actually quite a bit of precedence for this.
In my neck of the woods, the state and local responses were fluid depending on the severity the local situation. When local hospital ICUs were filled beyond capacity, and infection numbers were high, restrictions increased. When the levels went down and local hospital beds became available, the restrictions were relaxed. When the relaxing of restrictions led to an increase in infections directly related to indoor dining, state and local officials made some hard choices to protect the public and were able to focus restrictions where they needed to be, while relaxing others. Our state and local governments also mirrored the federal government and provided direct financial assistance to small businesses to help keep them afloat and also suspended impediments such as downtown parking fees, etc. As a result, these pro-health, pro-business strategies went a long way to keeping people safe and businesses intact, and combined with high vaccination rates, the state is coming out of this in a very strong position.
It’s sad and unfortunate that other locations did not manage the crisis as well.

We can also disagree about the severity of the virus, and I see no reason to beat that horse again.

I do agree with you regarding the threat of obesity. I have long believed that insurance rates should be weight based, but that’s a completely different topic of conversation. :D

thank you very much for this well thought out summary

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
i do not consent to be "governed" for my protection.
if sick, i stay home, no one need tell me to.
if not sick, then maskless is no threat to anyone!
certainly not buying the 'asymptomatic' spread trope.
doubting even the numbers (both infection cases, and fatalities) since finding out about the cycle threshold nonsense and the lack of reported flu cases.
Event 201 was a revelation as well as SPARS: https://stars.library.ucf.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1029&context=jicrcr
the largess that Big Pharma received for 'making a market for vaccines', literally 'flooding the zone' with fake news for profit, is all i needed to hear.
you're not convincing me this was natural...even bill gates warned of a global pandemic a couple years ago. fraudci even said Trump was going to have to deal with an outbreak before Trump was elected...

blueanons need not reply.

mowood3479

Veteran

I’m glad ur state is in such a strong position.. I hope for prosperity for all my countryman.
I would argue the data on ur states infection rates and hospitalizations does not correlate as directly with mandated buisness closings or any other lockdown policies as you claim.... correlation doesn’t equal causation but in this case the data hardly even suggest a correlation (let alone causation)

the infection and hospitalization rates went up in the winter and down again when it got warmer (just like the flu)... irregardless of govt interventions.

It seems ur not concerned at all with the 30 millions evictions on deck for when the cdc moratorium ends? Or the highest CPI inflation rate since the early 80s (when the fed had interest rates set at 17%)
I suppose the millions of small businesses who went under due to govt restriction are of little concern (they apparently all fared fine in ur state thanks to govt bailouts)
as is the depletion of middle class savings and the largest transfer of wealth from the middle class to the 1% in human history....

you can claim governmental success but the reality of the situation is far more grim... 20% of all the US dollars ever created were created last year..
An inflationary storm is coming and the poor will bear the brunt of the suffering (as usual)
And thru it all The government claims not only victory and success but also the moral high ground from which they lob actual bombs that tear people limb from limb.

imho you paint a pretty picture but reality doesn’t match up

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran

how can you say you have a different understanding of the word consent? consent is a clearly defined word, saying you have a different understanding of the word is really strange imo. how can we talk together if we don't all agree on the meaning of the words we use? i get that you think it was for the best, but be honest, you know what consent means.

Amynamous

I’m glad ur state is in such a strong position.. I hope for prosperity for all my countryman.
I would argue the data on ur states infection rates and hospitalizations does not correlate as directly with mandated buisness closings or any other lockdown policies as you claim.... correlation doesn’t equal causation but in this case the data hardly even suggest a correlation (let alone causation)

Actually, i remember reading several stories in the local papers that state employed contact tracers repeatedly reported that restaurants were a top source of the spread of covid. Our governor acted accordingly, and every time she increased restrictions on things like indoor dining, infections dropped within a few weeks.

the infection and hospitalization rates went up in the winter and down again when it got warmer (just like the flu)... irregardless of govt interventions.

Actually, my state had a significant increase in covid cases last summer. I believe they were calling it the second wave at the time.
I can provide a graph if you’d like. Cases in my state began falling within weeks of mass vaccination clinics, even though we were going through some pretty significant cold winter weather at the time.

It seems ur not concerned at all with the 30 millions evictions on deck for when the cdc moratorium ends? huh?! What brings you to that conclusion?
Just curious, are you in favor of more government handouts to keep people afloat and in their homes, are are you in favor of pulling the rug out from under people and letting them flounder and become hopelessly homeless for all of eternity, or until they can find a job and build up enough savings?

Or the highest CPI inflation rate since the early 80s (when the fed had interest rates set at 17%) huh?! BTW, inflation is typically an effect of an overheated economy. The inflation we are seeing is appears more related to an imbalance between supply/demand. We had similar issues (in reverse) at the start of the pandemic. These supply/demand imbalances are being felt globally and will eventually work itself out and will probably have a minimal effect on long term inflation. Economists are predicting very high increases in GDP this year, so inflation may become a problem down the road. The FED seems more concerned with high unemployment than with inflation. I don’t disagree. Having lived through the inflation of the 1960s-1980’s, I’m not worried about inflation. Happy to talk about this some more.

I suppose the millions of small businesses who went under due to govt restriction are of little concern (they apparently all fared fine in ur state thanks to govt bailouts)
as is the depletion of middle class savings and the largest transfer of wealth from the middle class to the 1% in human history....I recently read that Americans currently have historically high savings rates at the moment.

https://time.com/nextadvisor/banking/savings/us-saving-rate-soaring/

you can claim governmental success but the reality of the situation is far more grim... 20% of all the US dollars ever created were created last year..and?

An inflationary storm is coming and the poor will bear the brunt of the suffering (as usual)

And thru it all The government claims not only victory and success but also the moral high ground from which they lob actual bombs that tear people limb from limb.

imho you paint a pretty picture but reality doesn’t match up. my pretty picture was narrowly defined. lol
you’re gloom appears to be pretty broad. Hope things improve for you.

:tiphat:

Amynamous

how can you say you have a different understanding of the word consent? consent is a clearly defined word, saying you have a different understanding of the word is really strange imo. how can we talk together if we don't all agree on the meaning of the words we use? i get that you think it was for the best, but be honest, you know what consent means.

Really?! With everything i wrote, that is what you are focusing on?

Due to my profession, i have become an expert on consent and have engaged in heated arguements(i have a 100% win rate against angry surgeons and hospital administrators:D). It is commonly accepted by most nations that consent is not needed nor necessary for vaccinations. There’s been journal papers written about this if you care to search for them. It was obvious to me that mowood and I have a different opinion/understanding about this, hence my statement.

mowood3479

Veteran

I do appreciate the thoughtful response.
If ur comfortable sharing the data on ur state then yes I’d love to see it...

idk where you read that Americans savings are at a high point.?
I can’t see how that would be possible what with so many people out of work this last year and inflation at its highest level since 1980

as for inflation my industry (home building) is at a stand still (except for very very high end homes) as the price of lumber has increased 300% since the fall..
and I heard the Biden admin just last week doubled the tariff on Canadian softwood which I fear will only drive prices higher...

roof metal up 35% since the fall..
and lot of products can’t be bought at any price...

I know that the fed (and Janet yellen) insists the inflation is transitory but I don’t think it takes a rocket scientist to see the cause and effect of printing trillions of new dollars, putting them in circulation
then within the year having the highest rise in CPI in 40 years...
the world knows we are just printing the fuck out of the dollar... eventually even the business end of our guns isn’t going to be enough to convince them to use our worthless paper notes...
it’s quite the black pill I know but I don’t think there is a way out of that eventuality..

40-50 years left of oil...
26 trilllions in debt and counting + (on the hook for a trillion in interest payments on the debt every year)

eventually we r gonna run out of oil and at that point The only reason people will want our dollars is for toilet paper...
it’s amazing to me that people can claim things are going well and as planned.
Imho there is no plan besides print and pray
We have an official monetary policy of kicking the can down the road... the fed is hamstrung too weak and intertwined with the govt to do anything but keep the game going.
they can’t raise rates and they know it... the last time the CPI was this high... the fed had rates set at 17%
Today... it’s 0% to .25%

so as a guy who knows a lot about kicking the can down the road and being trapped by debt id say the usa prognosis looks way too similiar to my personal finances...

Amynamous

I do appreciate the thoughtful response.
If ur comfortable sharing the data on ur state then yes I’d love to see it...

idk where you read that Americans savings are at a high point.?
I can’t see how that would be possible what with so many people out of work this last year and inflation at its highest level since 1980

as for inflation my industry (home building) is at a stand still (except for very very high end homes) as the price of lumber has increased 300% since the fall..
and I heard the Biden admin just last week doubled the tariff on Canadian softwood which I fear will only drive prices higher...

roof metal up 35% since the fall..
and lot of products can’t be bought at any price...

I know that the fed (and Janet yellen) insists the inflation is transitory but I don’t think it takes a rocket scientist to see the cause and effect of printing trillions of new dollars, putting them in circulation
then within the year having the highest rise in CPI in 40 years...
the world knows we are just printing the fuck out of the dollar... eventually even the business end of our guns isn’t going to be enough to convince them to use our worthless paper notes...
it’s quite the black pill I know but I don’t think there is a way out of that eventuality..

40-50 years left of oil...
26 trilllions in debt and counting + (on the hook for a trillion in interest payments on the debt every year)

eventually we r gonna run out of oil and at that point The only reason people will want our dollars is for toilet paper...
it’s amazing to me that people can claim things are going well and as planned.
Imho there is no plan besides print and pray
We have an official monetary policy of kicking the can down the road... the fed is hamstrung too weak and intertwined with the govt to do anything but keep the game going.
they can’t raise rates and they know it... the last time the CPI was this high... the fed had rates set at 17%
Today... it’s 0% to .25%

so as a guy who knows a lot about kicking the can down the road and being trapped by debt id say the usa prognosis looks way too similiar to my personal finances...

Click image for larger version  Name:	36DBFA58-50EC-48B9-82B3-3CF8351EE57F.png Views:	0 Size:	375.8 KB ID:	17868538

Here’s a link for increases in savings rates during the pandemic:

https://time.com/nextadvisor/banking...-rate-soaring/

Bush Jr, Obama, and Trump all printed money like it was going out of style with minimal inflation. You sound an awful lot like I did during Obama’s printathon. haha I was amazed when the inflation never came. If inflation is defined as too much money chasing too few goods, then why didn’t we have inflation then? I am not an economist, but I believe it may have something to do with wages and/or the Feds Quantitative Easing program.
Wages haven’t increased much during that time and QE allows the Fed to quietly move money into and out of the economy without putting too much pressure on increasing interest rates. I suspect that long term inflation will be a function of wage inflation more than money printing.
I believe it’s also important to note that almost every nation have been taking cues from the US and have taken similar measures, ie. lowering interest rates, printing money, enhanced unemployment, free money handouts (also known as taxcuts:D), etc. In fact, the US financial response, while excessive by historical measures, are actually less generous than many other developed nations.
In my opinion, the real inflation will show itself in the price changes in gold and silver and realestate. The first two hasn’t happened yet. RE is definitely affected, but are linked to pandemic related supply disruptions combined with demographic changes(at least in the US). When I see wages go up combined with increases in precious metals, i will be more concerned. Personally, I would love to see wages go up. I doubt i am alone on that one.

mowood3479

Veteran
It looks to me like the chart on covid infection shows exactly what I described and what would be expected for a flu like virus
a curve that peaks in the winter months and then dissipates...
gonna check out when govt interventions were enacted and take a closer look.. Mayb I’ll be suprised