What's new

Court will hear ASA vs. DEA case on rescheduling

Bi0hazard

Veteran
SuperSilverHaze,

Industries lobbying against cannabis is not speculation, it is documented.

The Top Five ANTI-Legalization Lobbyists
Full Article @ http://www.arizonamarijuanadispensary.com/the-top-five-anti-legalization-lobbyists/

More Info on the Subject and Amounts of Donations @ http://www.republicreport.org/2012/...ists-are-getting-rich-off-of-the-war-on-drugs
1.) Police Unions: Police departments across the country have become dependent on federal drug war grants to finance their budget. In March, we published a story revealing that a police union lobbyist in California coordinated the effort to defeat Prop 19, a ballot measure in 2010 to legalize marijuana, while helping his police department clients collect tens of millions in federal marijuana-eradication grants. And it’s not just in California. Federal lobbying disclosures show that other police union lobbyists have pushed for stiffer penalties for marijuana-related crimes nationwide.

2.) Private Prisons Corporations: Private prison corporations make millions by incarcerating people who have been imprisoned for drug crimes, including marijuana. As Republic Report’s Matt Stoller noted last year, Corrections Corporation of America, one of the largest for-profit prison companies, revealed in a regulatory filing that continuing the drug war is part in parcel to their business strategy. Prison companies have spent millions bankrolling pro-drug war politicians and have used secretive front groups, like the American Legislative Exchange Council, to pass harsh sentencing requirements for drug crimes.

3.) Alcohol and Beer Companies: Fearing competition for the dollars Americans spend on leisure, alcohol and tobacco interests have lobbied to keep marijuana out of reach. For instance, the California Beer & Beverage Distributors contributed campaign contributions to a committee set up to prevent marijuana from being legalized and taxed.

4.) Pharmaceutical Corporations: Like the sin industries listed above, pharmaceutical interests would like to keep marijuana illegal so American don’t have the option of cheap medical alternatives to their products. Howard Wooldridge, a retired police officer who now lobbies the government to relax marijuana prohibition laws, told Republic Report that next to police unions, the “second biggest opponent on Capitol Hill is big PhRMA” because marijuana can replace “everything from Advil to Vicodin and other expensive pills.”

5.) Prison Guard Unions: Prison guard unions have a vested interest in keeping people behind bars just like for-profit prison companies. In 2008, the California Correctional Peace Officers Association spent a whopping $1 million to defeat a measure that would have “reduced sentences and parole times for nonviolent drug offenders while emphasizing drug treatment over prison.”

Last edited:
G

Guest 88950

SuperSilverHaze,

Industries lobbying against cannabis is not speculation, it is documented.

i agree but what i see as speculation is making the leap that personal growing will be outlawed if Cannabis is lowered to a Schedule II and ALL current mmj patients will be forced into getting on pharmaceutical's based off of Cannabinoids.

as i have stated that not all people respond to synthetic / man made meds and what about the uninsured / under insured and those too poor to pay for the canna-med.

this is JMO and regardless i will continue to grow my med, im in fl so im illegal anyway.

S

SeaMaiden

I believe it is called tardive dyskinesia, but it has been a while since I worked in the medical field.

I think the term you're looking for is cognitive dissonance. Tardive dyskenesia is when someone can't control their face and jaw or something like that. Always reminds me of some Touretters I've known.

Bi0hazard

Veteran
SuperSilverHaze,

I completely agree. It is essential that we get to grow our own as part of the medical possibilities of using cannabis.

We need to get the word out to the masses about how grown cannabis works better than the synthetics, and that a lot of people don't respond to them. The reason for this is that there will most likely be a battle between the big pharma and self grown cannabis possibilities. It's not like people could synthesize Schedule II drugs at their house legally.

The investors who put up the money for all these studies on cannabis in medical applications - want returns on their investment money. They will always be threatened by peoples ability to just grow their own, once they learn how effective it is medically.

This is why medical investors want to push for synthetics that they can patent - so they are guaranteed that there is no competition on their sales. Especially a competition like outdoor growing, which is very cheap compared to paying $8 a THC pill 3 times a day.

There are already thousands of studies on cannabis medicine that has been funded - and just like Lobbying groups with politics the medical investors feel they are entitled to large profits, even though it turns into an unjust propaganda campaign against a safe herb.

It is truly immoral for a company to block people from producing their own safe medicine, just so they can try to force their patented version that only they can sell. Think of how many sick people left families with large debts from medicines and treatments - they should have been able to grow their own cannabis and not leave a huge burden of debt on their family. Especially when Cannabis works better for a lot of theses medical issues...

my 2 cents...

Smoking Gun

It is truly immoral for a company to block people from producing their own safe medicine, just so they can try to force their patented version that only they can sell. Think of how many sick people left families with large debts from medicines and treatments - they should have been able to grow their own cannabis and not leave a huge burden of debt on their family. Especially when Cannabis works better for a lot of theses medical issues...

Yet this is happening every day with hundreds of drugs. If the pharma companies can't make millions of dollars they will not release the drug, regardless of its efficacy. Think of how many cures have been swept under the rug because Big Pharma couldn't make huge money of it.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just getting it off the schedule 1 list will make a BIG difference IMO . I really hope this can happen . i'm pushing more for this than legalization ..... but thats just me :)

devilgoob

Veteran
Hi. I am the devil's advocate. You have to argue with me.

Cannabis is on schedule one, because of it's potential for addiction, and apparently being addicted doesn't matter, it matters the number of people addicted.

In other words, the potential for national abuse is high, because it's so available.

There, now you have to argue this point. Clues: legal in other countries, lower abuse rates. More people recognize you can become dependent on ANY DRUG OR COUCH CUSHION, and just because it would be legal, doesn't mean it can't harm you. More people would be aware of it causing bad grades if you're wasting a night getting high, rather than smoking and spraying stuff to make you not smell like cannabis THEN do your homework.

G

Guest 88950

Biohazzard

i agree and if Cannabis is lowered to a Schedule II then you will see me proactively fight for my right to grow it.

my fear is that the plant remains a Schedule I but the cannabinoid based meds are a Schedule II.

again, ill take my chances w/a jury. its easy to show how well Cannabis does at stopping my spasms.

you cant deny what you see and let the jury tell me that even though it works you cant have access to it but your welcome to a canna-med that doesnt work.

it wont fly, too many people really rely on this plant for their meds and i think they will stand up for their right to grow.

if lowered to a Schedule II then i see a relaxing of the laws regarding traveling across state lines.

G

Guest304546

Hi. I am the devil's advocate. You have to argue with me.

Cannabis is on schedule one, because of it's potential for addiction, and apparently being addicted doesn't matter, it matters the number of people addicted.

In other words, the potential for national abuse is high, because it's so available.

There, now you have to argue this point. Clues: legal in other countries, lower abuse rates. More people recognize you can become dependent on ANY DRUG OR COUCH CUSHION, and just because it would be legal, doesn't mean it can't harm you. More people would be aware of it causing bad grades if you're wasting a night getting high, rather than smoking and spraying stuff to make you not smell like cannabis THEN do your homework.

lol, cannabis is a schedule 1 drug because the government says so and they say so because they make money from it being illegal, it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with whether or not it's good for you, ...do really think the government gives 2 shits about you?

no, ...it's about the money, plain and simple.

AD

btw, i also argue against the premise that cannabis is addictive, ...i smoke because i WANT to, not because i HAVE to. (i frequentily go weeks without weed and while i might WANT some, i don't NEED some)

Bi0hazard

Veteran
There have been studies on the level of addiction associated with cannabis.

It was found multiple times that Cannabis was slightly less addictive than CAFFEINE... No big surprise there, or anything to worry about...

devilgoob

Veteran
These living plants, they let me breath free. Humans think we don't need the Earth. We think we're wireless, not attached. With an umbilical cord, we were tethered. Tethered to someone who could eat, things ultimately feed from the ground with underground dirt lungs....ROOTS! You will see our lungs and their roots are similar. I am a part of this Earth, and I can enjoy this plant. Everyone accepts things for what they are, cannabis helps me accept the things in humanity and overall being of the human spirit and pushes me to see that there is something bigger. I am connected to a plant. I did not engineer the plant. It's purpose, is to grow and live and die. It has become a bigger purpose outside of itself, and when I smoke it, it's lends to the biggest purpose - love and sensitivity and though processes that help me become my potential, so the rest of the world will have lived it's whole potential. We are part of the Earth, aligned with 24 hours. We live on the same plant. Cannabis is part of the Earth, so am I. Both cannabis and I have a bigger goal than we - a goal of connectedness that is outside the reach of a drug that is only for the user, the world is better when the people who want to meet their potential, use this herb to slow down and love and think, rather than burning out in their own thoughts of misery about human life and our planet.......we are again connected with the act of sacred burning of the cannabis flowers.

LeeROI

From safeaccessnow.org/blog:

"ASA took our 10-year old rescheduling petition to federal court for the first oral arguments on the medical use of cannabis in twenty years. If we prevail in 2013, our lawsuit will force a change in the classification of cannabis under federal law."

"[. . .]Also in 2013, we will hear from the courts on our rescheduling lawsuit, we will be working on new legislation in a dozen states, we will be preparing for initiatives in 2014 in Arkansas and California (to name a few), we will be working with current medical cannabis states on passing access laws and implementing new laws, and all of this while we continue to provide free legal support and other resources for patients and providers."