What's new

Coronavirus.. outlook

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I doubt this is an escaped bio weapon, anymore than SARS, Ebola, Spanish Flu, Legionnaires and all the rest.

The stock market is assuming this thing is no big deal and they tend to get things right. I am not so sure though. Still worried.

In a high performance environment, the majority is always wrong.

St. Phatty

interesting that
possibly not the first time this virus has travelled amongst humans
from human to bat to human perhaps?
which might account for the aisian preference
it's evolved with asians in its incubator, they match so to speak

Does this mean if you get Herpes from an Asian woman, it's Bat Herpes ?

On a more Morbid front, the official death toll is 1360, up from about 1118 yesterday.

I would think that process (of counting bodies) is just a little bit Chaotic.

Also, since a lot of health care workers are catching the virus, I can't blame them for shying away from some of the nastier tasks.

"Help wanted. Need hardworking patriots to move dead bodies to the crematorium before they explode from de-composition gases."

Jammal

There will be a buying frenze,,and the a huge supply
shortage with china out if the game. someone is going to have to fill the gap. I'm betting on American.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The stock market is not stupid but when dealing with known liars and buying their data.... Anyone's guess how this shakes out.

I should say, the stock market is not stupid longer term. This is in the baby stage so mistakes can be made easily even by smart people. Deception is my fear, if the Chinese were honest I would still worry some.

Looked at gold and it is up a few dollars recently. Not a jump up, that would be into 1600 and up. Stock futures are down half a percent so no crash but I can not get long on these events going on now.

Last edited:
Today someone corrected the numbers a bit. When you look at the chart at the bottom on the right (https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6) you see a jump this morning. My explanation: This numbers are manipulated and there are fights about how and how much to manipulate this numbers. Or somebody delivered a new charge of test-kits.
And I remember the Chinese guy on Youtube who said 'add to zeros to the official numbers.'

Chinese scientists predicted the peak of the outbreak would be in the middle of Febuary, but international scientists predict the peak arround April/May. And this sounds more realistic to me, considering the long incubation time.
This will kill not only many people, but also economy. Many production chains will be cut, even if this big outbreak will stay in China. But it does not look like this.

Coronavirus spread outside of China may be ‘tip of the iceberg,’ says WHO chief
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...-tip-of-the-iceberg-says-who-chief-2020-02-10

Coronavirus 'could infect 60% of global population if unchecked'
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...infection-could-reach-60-of-worlds-population
'Prof Gabriel Leung, the chair of public health medicine at Hong Kong University, said the overriding question was to figure out the size and shape of the iceberg. Most experts thought that each person infected would go on to transmit the virus to about 2.5 other people. That gave an “attack rate” of 60-80%.'

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Watch how many or rather few, big public events you see politicians attending over the next few months.

Clinical Characteristics of 138 Hospitalized Patients With 2019 Novel Coronavirus–Infected Pneumonia in Wuhan, China
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2761044

'Results Of 138 hospitalized patients with NCIP, the median age was 56 years (interquartile range, 42-68; range, 22-92 years) and 75 (54.3%) were men. Hospital-associated transmission was suspected as the presumed mechanism of infection for affected health professionals (40 [29%]) and hospitalized patients (17 [12.3%]). Common symptoms included fever (136 [98.6%]), fatigue (96 [69.6%]), and dry cough (82 [59.4%]). Lymphopenia (lymphocyte count, 0.8 × 109/L [interquartile range {IQR}, 0.6-1.1]) occurred in 97 patients (70.3%), prolonged prothrombin time (13.0 seconds [IQR, 12.3-13.7]) in 80 patients (58%), and elevated lactate dehydrogenase (261 U/L [IQR, 182-403]) in 55 patients (39.9%). Chest computed tomographic scans showed bilateral patchy shadows or ground glass opacity in the lungs of all patients. Most patients received antiviral therapy (oseltamivir, 124 [89.9%]), and many received antibacterial therapy (moxifloxacin, 89 [64.4%]; ceftriaxone, 34 [24.6%]; azithromycin, 25 [18.1%]) and glucocorticoid therapy (62 [44.9%]). Thirty-six patients (26.1%) were transferred to the intensive care unit (ICU) because of complications, including acute respiratory distress syndrome (22 [61.1%]), arrhythmia (16 [44.4%]), and shock (11 [30.6%]). The median time from first symptom to dyspnea was 5.0 days, to hospital admission was 7.0 days, and to ARDS was 8.0 days. Patients treated in the ICU (n = 36), compared with patients not treated in the ICU (n = 102), were older (median age, 66 years vs 51 years), were more likely to have underlying comorbidities (26 [72.2%] vs 38 [37.3%]), and were more likely to have dyspnea (23 [63.9%] vs 20 [19.6%]), and anorexia (24 [66.7%] vs 31 [30.4%]). Of the 36 cases in the ICU, 4 (11.1%) received high-flow oxygen therapy, 15 (41.7%) received noninvasive ventilation, and 17 (47.2%) received invasive ventilation (4 were switched to extracorporeal membrane oxygenation). As of February 3, 47 patients (34.1%) were discharged and 6 died (overall mortality, 4.3%), but the remaining patients are still hospitalized. Among those discharged alive (n = 47), the median hospital stay was 10 days (IQR, 7.0-14.0).

Conclusions and Relevance In this single-center case series of 138 hospitalized patients with confirmed NCIP in Wuhan, China, presumed hospital-related transmission of 2019-nCoV was suspected in 41% of patients, 26% of patients received ICU care, and mortality was 4.3%.'

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
It does seem like the virus is affecting mostly Asian folks.

In the Netherlands some 40 general practioners started to test this Covid-19 virus, when someone has flu-like symptoms, so we've to wait for the results if there're any people affected by this virus.
Africa just got the test kits too for testing this virus.

St. Phatty

what I've been wanting to ask the US government -

what's the difference between the few hundred airplane passengers they quarantined towards the end of the week ending Fri. Jan. 31, and the thousands that de-planed from planes flying into the main hubs (e.g. SFO) on the Monday Jan. 27, Tuesday, etc. ?

BEFORE they decided to start the quarantine.

Given what was known about the virus at the time, it seemed like the US gov. wanted to create a pandemic. They could have stopped it dead cold in its tracks if they had made a big deal at the very beginning.

Of course it's also possible the US will get lucky and the virus will turn out to prefer hosts of Asian descent.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Watch how many or rather few, big public events you see politicians attending over the next few months.

They are already cancelling huge events like the telecomms conference in Barcelona (with 5G rolling out).

It is really not a bad idea to stock up on things you will need/use anyways over time. I am planning for a 45 day long "staycation", and I live alone away from neighbors. I assume the power and water will stay on, but retail will close as low income people who work there get sick from so much public contact. My guess is it gets serious in march, so there is time. Plan ahead - you would use these supplies anyways.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
CORONAVIRUS
SAN DIEGO LAB DISCOVERS COVID-19 VACCINE IN 3 HOURS
Inovio Pharmaceuticals created a vaccine that is going through
SAN DIEGO — In a race against the clock, a San Diego lab is scrambling to get a COVID-19 vaccine out and on the market. As the days go by, Inovio Pharmaceuticals is getting closer to releasing the desperately needed vaccine against the deadly virus.

Inovio Pharmaceuticals, which is located in Sorrento Valley, has also created a vaccine for the Zika virus, the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS), and the vaccine for Ebola.

RELATED: CDC cites label error in mixup involving San Diego COVID-19 patient

Dr. Trevor Smith, who is the director of research and development at Inovio, said, "It's something we are trained to do, and the infrastructure is here and the expertise is in house."

When Chinese scientists released the genetic sequence on Jan. 9, Inovio researchers got to work immediately and within 3 hours they had a vaccine for coronavirus, or COVID-19 as it is now being referred to.

"We have an algorithm which we designed, and we put the DNA sequence into our algorithm and came up with the vaccine in that short amount of time," said Dr. Smith.

Tens of thousands in China have been quarantined and continue to suffer from the virus. That’s why scientists at Inovio Pharmaceuticals say they feel the sense of urgency to get the vaccine out.

The vaccine has been tested on mice and guinea pigs. It will next be tried on a group of human patients.

Scientists hope the vaccine will work like a piece of biological software. In other words, the vaccine will give the human body instructions to create the proper attack in the form of T-cells and antibodies against COVID-19.

If all goes as planned, clinical trials in humans could begin by early this summer - which would be a record time frame for Inovio Pharmaceuticals.

Currently, an Inovio Pharmaceuticals lead researcher is in Sweden meeting with the World Health Organization to come up with the best plan of attack against COVID-19.
Watch that stock....

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
The grant to Inovio comes from the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations (CEPI), a partnership that receives money from public and private groups, including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I doubt this is an escaped bio weapon, anymore than SARS, Ebola, Spanish Flu, Legionnaires and all the rest.

The stock market is assuming this thing is no big deal and they tend to get things right. I am not so sure though. Still worried.

Haven't you seen the new thread the chicken littles made?

They presented irrefutable evidence to the contrary.

God damn George Soros and the Illuminati up to their high jinks again.