What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cops are onto RFI-AM radio and elec. ballasts

St. Phatty

OK, so it is a concern. EMI, that is.
I spent 20+ years dealing with EMI as a design engineer.

MIL-STD-461 & 462, Conducted & Radiated Emissions ... for those who are up for reading them - good info, diagrams, etc.

Basically, the power lines bringing AC to the ballast need to be EMI-filtered. The ballast can spit noise back onto the power line, and then all those wires outside the ballast act as antennas.

The ballast needs to be shielded - aluminum won't work because it is a low frequency noise that needs cold-rolled steel (which is usually used for ballast cases.)

Sometimes, the ballast shield is connected to the ground on the EMI-filter. (careful about that 115 VAC).

It is 100% possible to make the ballast as quiet (electrically) as an electric toothbrush.

2 things, the "Fix" (summarized above), and measuring how well it worked.

For that last part, something like an HP antenna and a spectrum analyzer - a combo I used once when I needed to do some EMI sniffing.

OK, so it is a concern. EMI, that is.
I spent 20+ years dealing with EMI as a design engineer.

MIL-STD-461 & 462, Conducted & Radiated Emissions ... for those who are up for reading them - good info, diagrams, etc.

Basically, the power lines bringing AC to the ballast need to be EMI-filtered. The ballast can spit noise back onto the power line, and then all those wires outside the ballast act as antennas.

The ballast needs to be shielded - aluminum won't work because it is a low frequency noise that needs cold-rolled steel (which is usually used for ballast cases.)

Sometimes, the ballast shield is connected to the ground on the EMI-filter. (careful about that 115 VAC).

It is 100% possible to make the ballast as quiet (electrically) as an electric toothbrush.

2 things, the "Fix" (summarized above), and measuring how well it worked.

For that last part, something like an HP antenna and a spectrum analyzer - a combo I used once when I needed to do some EMI sniffing.

Do you have a suggestion on how we can easily fix this problem ourselves?

FlowerFarmer

Veteran
Can anyone report feedback on using the new Nanolux OG Ballasts? They appear to be running a RF filter box on the power cord leading to the ballast itself.

They also appear to be selling them ala carte for use with other ballasts.

picture.php

SpaceJunkOG

i actually have a waaay easier way for you guys to take care of this, all this stuff about flux capacitors is just too much trouble. here's what you do:

you buy 2 Roombas: adhere 8 (eight) large, sharp butcher knives to each Roomba: program them to start when your motion sensors for your security system are set off: result = 2 angry, armed Robot Vacuums with knives come swarming toward any intruder. Personally I prefer 4 Roombas, but 2 will usually do the job. I believe this falls under the "stand your ground" law.

seriously how has nobody figured this out already?

jewcebox

my old Lumateks and Phantoms had insane amounts of RFI interference, so much that comcast shut off my cable as i was leaking signal from my house somehow.

luckily im in a grow friendly state and all he said was NICE setup when he went into the room.

all i did was rid myself of the oldschool SE (single ended bulbs) and got new hoods and DE bulbs.

no more comcast guy, but he said it was noticable almost a mile away with his little device.

Also certain ballast have certain MHz they run. the bad ass ballast is the one with the least interference according to studies

How can you trust what your buying being when the FCC approved labels are faked by Chinese manufactures. People are saying even top brands like lumatek are giving off RFI, that only helps makes the cheaper ones being at greater suspect. I feel like I can't trust what I'm gonna buy, unless I do extensive research and googling to find a model and brand that people are saying is ok then find a retailer with that. Which is a pain in the ass.

I decided to get magnetic, also you can't beat the price point of these. Its old technology. Its like getting something functional for a bargain in an antique shop. lol

Last edited:
When you guys test the signal with AM, do you tune to a station you get clearly with someone broadcasting, or are you trying to find a station with silence? I have a really hard time finding one with silence. The stations that come in clear, are not inturrupted even the least by the Lumatek 600W's I have.

When I tuned to a clear station and pulled into the driveway of the location, I could hear some noise, and to me it sounded like the inline fan running more than anything. The lights were off at this point, but plugged in. Didn't see any kind of a difference once they came on either, same noise. So I'm wondering if I'm ok or not.

Catatafish

Veteran
I just put on the lowest channel 5-something, what ever the lowest on the dial went to. Didnt matter if there is any actual channel there. I also did for the high channel as well, (1600?).

The solis made a distinctive wining noise the closer you got. Could hear it over the static etc.. You could actually hear the same noise at the ballast if you got close enough to it with your ear so it was pretty easy to distinguish the noise. Powered off and noise was gone on am.

Im not sure what other models sound like, my bad galaxy would mess the tv up which is how i noticed it, didnt even bother checking am then. TV pic (cable tv) would go fuzzy/snowy over top the pic. Unpower and the channel would clear up and look normal. Only happened on like channel 2-4 but that was before cable company required a digital box for all outlets. I just had that tv plugged straight into rg6 outlet for basic cable, not digital channels.

Thanks for the description Catafish, I'm not experiencing anything at all like you're describing, so hoping I'm good. Worst case would be a visit from the cable company. Not like the RFI alone would be enough evidence to get a warrant. And if you give them any evidence past that, it's your own fault.

SocalNugz

We run those nanolux de fixtures but the blocks they provide for rf interference are only for 120v.
I did a test with 6 de nanulux 1000 runni g an had very very minor static on the channel.
No squeels or anyhing crazy. 5 ft from the exterior wall I couldnt find anything

I know that in South Lake Tahoe they use this technology to enforce codes. The fire dept will come in and inspect and charge you a $ fine per day you are out of compliance

SocalNugz

Can anyone report feedback on using the new Nanolux OG Ballasts? They appear to be running a RF filter box on the power cord leading to the ballast itself.

They also appear to be selling them ala carte for use with other ballasts.

View Image

I have nanolux og ballasts and the de's, the cord it comes with isnt a filter I dont think, and it doesnt work for anything other than 110.
The de's dont even get that power cord box.

wantaknow

ruger 500
Veteran
Fair a day cage , made from brass screen ,line the grow area with it then do your build out ,problemo solved

willydriller

My RFI issue is solved

My RFI issue is solved

This topic is of great interest to me as I started using digital electronic ballasts recently. I had them in my setup for about a week when I read about the RFI issues. I immediately took them down and replaced with the old mags until I found a solution. Fortunately my nearest neighbor is about 800 ft in any direction so I don't think anyone was effected. I have basic cable and wifi and there was no discernible interference.

I have a pair of xtrasun 1000w digital ballasts and they claim to have internal RF shielding so I put them to the test using an AM radio in my car. My ballasts are mounted about 9' in the air outside the room and semi-exposed to the outside. I started the radio at 540kHz and turned the dial all the way thru the range up and down until I located static and a few frequencies that could be from ballast RFI emission. 920kHz was where I received the highest emission from my setup (hoods, track etc.). Driving away from the operation, the static began to fade after about 200' and was gone after about 800'. Unplug ballast and zero static on 920kHz.

This RFI emission was a little too much for my comfort. FIX #1: I ordered a few dozen ferrite RFI filters and attached them about 4' apart on the power cord to the ballast and the lamp cord. This made a noticeable difference and now the static was reduced to about 1/2 total output and began fading immediately when driving away and was gone at about 300'.

Luck favors the prepared so I wanted to reduce this further. Fix #2: Nanolux RF filter set. These were $30 a pair and fit common or hydrofarm cords. Now the RFI emission was very low 20' from the source and gone at 50'. I can live with this and have returned my xtrasun's to service. I don't know if I would have the same success without the ferrite as they were in place when i added the filters. Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Latest posts

Latest posts