What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cops are onto RFI-AM radio and elec. ballasts

So I think I got the car thing to work. However, the noise was present even when the light was off, just no where near as loud. Couldn't detect it without being pulled in the driveway of the location though. I assume with equipment though, it would be much easier to detect?

Have you guys figured out exactly why the cable company comes to your house? Since it's not illegal to have these ballasts, correct?, is there anything they can really do? Or is that they're supposed to be shielded better, and aren't, so therefore they are against the FCC rules and you can get in actual trouble?

I also assume you would just say that you have a fish tank light like earlier mentioned?

Lastly, what about these Ferrite Filter's that I see are pretty cheap? You snap them on the cables?
I don't think this is against the rules (please remove link if it is sorry!), as I have no affiliation with the website, but this site has some good info and they seem inexpensive.
http://www.solar-electric.com/insta...transfer-switches-noise-filters/nosufefi.html

watts

ohms
Veteran
Cable company will have to come into your house if they find a lot of interference in the neighborhood. They can pinpoint that shit if it's messing up neighbors wifi/tv service. The FCC may even sit outside your house in an unmarked van/suv if it's bad enough.

I don't recommend running multiple digital ballast in illegal states. Best to stick with magnetic or something like Gavita ballast with the attached reflector.

Morcheeba*

Veteran
if the cable co. id's your place where the feedback is coming from they will want access to your home. i was asked to check and see if i had any loose connections w/any of my digital equip....tv, stereo etc. and i went in and unplugged my ballast.

also, if you have anyone near that operates a hamm radio and your ballast emits emi/rf feedback they will know as soon as it is powered on.

peace

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if the cable co. id's your place where the feedback is coming from they will want access to your home. i was asked to check and see if i had any loose connections w/any of my digital equip....tv, stereo etc. and i went in and unplugged my ballast.

also, if you have anyone near that operates a hamm radio and your ballast emits emi/rf feedback they will know as soon as it is powered on.

peace

Good to know! Use LED's now but prior, was long time HID user (750w).

What else causes that kind of interference with a radio? I drove through a trailer park nearby just for shits and giggles and 3 trailers made my radio go nuts, way more than the other location did.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What else causes that kind of interference with a radio? I drove through a trailer park nearby just for shits and giggles and 3 trailers made my radio go nuts, way more than the other location did.

Funny! Maybe aluminum foil on rabbit ears for TV! ;o)

Fly by Night

Like a Wing
Veteran
what really gets your attention is get in the car
and drive down the street

turn on the AM radio and tune it to a clear station and drive back to your grow slowly, pull up as close to the door as possible.
it was an eye opening experience for me :nono:

Exactly how to troll street meat

Ugly+Hooker.jpg

paper thorn

Veteran
nukklehead said:
Dont know if you know who Joe Walsh is and his last album??
( just joking---for those who dont.. forget it)

" Im an ANALOG MAN in a digital world."

Could RE-lyric that whole song to Mag Ballasts... but wont!!!

stoned-trout said:
anyone that don't know joe should be shot....of course I know the album too..

The smoker you drink the player you get

Anyone know anything about the Ferrite Filter's that I posted? Looking for a solution to this problem and the only link that was posted here like 5x doesn't work any more.

I know its not what you want to hear.... but this is only a little more than the filter:

http://growershouse.com/analog-sun-magnetic-ballast-1000w

Its for sure...not "could possibly work". If your located where i think you are, why chance it man?

Couple questions. Do you use these and they work reliably? How hot do they get? Little concrened those get SO hot it would raise the room temp?

Currently running 600w's, the hoods are the XXXXL so they can handle 1000w no problem....

Catatafish

Veteran
Well not that specific one but pretty much the same unit by sun system, http://growershouse.com/harvest-pro-ballasts-1000w-switchable-ballast (although i paid a lot less at the time, ~$130). They do get pretty warm and will raise the room temp if its in the same room but elecs will do this as well just a little less. I run the ballast in a adjacent room as to not do that. Even the 600s if i remember correctly will get toasty. All mags i have seen do run a little warmer than elecs so keep that in mind.

If you do go 1000, keep in mind your vertical space. I seem to have issues with that sometimes but i also run no glass. I know A/L runs that same hood in 1000 open. They do make 600's as well.

So, I'm pretty good at science, but I'm no engineer. Can anyone who is smarter in that type of stuff take a look at this document about the effectiveness of Ferrites?

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

I think, according to this report, they should solve the problem and they're like $3 each? Just not sure what size or material type would be needed in this application.

Cata - Thanks for the advice and such. Not sure I would have the room for a 1000 due to height of 7 feet in the tent. Any idea how much hotter they get? I can pick up the 600 running at 660 (Max lumens or whatever the lumatek's have, as I have a 1,000W bulb in there now that was free) with my bare hand. It's warm, but wouldn't burn anything.

the gnome

Veteran
Well not that specific one but pretty much the same unit by sun system, http://growershouse.com/harvest-pro-ballasts-1000w-switchable-ballast (although i paid a lot less at the time, ~$130). They do get pretty warm and will raise the room temp if its in the same room but elecs will do this as well just a little less. I run the ballast in a adjacent room as to not do that. Even the 600s if i remember correctly will get toasty. All mags i have seen do run a little warmer than elecs so keep that in mind.

If you do go 1000, keep in mind your vertical space. I seem to have issues with that sometimes but i also run no glass. I know A/L runs that same hood in 1000 open. They do make 600's as well.

the heat coming off the lrg mag can be significant if your running multiple lamps
using the temp gun my sun sys. mag ballasts(1,000W) were pushing around 160-164F.
i was running 6 ballasts at the time so that's some heat coming off em,
my mr slim handle it no prob but i had 3 nanolux elec. ballasts laying around and replaced 3 mags to cut my heat output a bit, the nano's were hitting around 95F.....:)
lOL....then i saw this thread and drove the car up-n-down the road with the AM running
and the truth of my gro was there for anyone to hear..... :(
so it was back to the mags and sleeping peacefully at nite

Catatafish

Veteran
7' you'll have fun dealing with some training ;0

I would think a 600 would be much better and easier to manage. They still get hotter though than elec counterpart. Gnome seems to have some decent numbers to judge if it would work. Im not sure if that math works out on 600 vs 1000 by simply 165F * .6 = 99F. Seems i remember the 600 being a little warmer than that so there must be something else to account for. Or maybe something like (165F-ambient)*.6 = x + ambient ?? Just guessing

Thc, yes it can. Some are worse than others. I had an old galaxy i had mega issues (would take out lower tv channels 2-4) and another later edition one that i didnt. The solis i had was noiser than all of them combined :).