What's new

cooltubes with external reflector vs internal reflector?

SourDog

is one better than the other?

the hydrofarm one with the internal reflector seems less expensive than say a hydrotek one with an external reflector.

issack

Veteran
I got the hydroteck....to me the internal reflector does not disperse the light as well as an external reflector....
the hydroteck is only 325 dollars...how much of a diff is the hydrofarm??...not much i assume...go with the hydroteck...

I got mine from cheaphydropnics.com..

i got 4 1000w and 2 600w

3legdog

hydrofarm cool tubes

hydrofarm cool tubes

I recently got 2 hydrofarm cool tubes that go for $120 each thats with the socket assembly built in already & need just a simple connection to you ballast cord. Hydrofarm calls these mini cool tubes but thet are plenty long enough to use 1khps bulbs. I use 1 wth my 250mh & the other i just set up with this 940whps Hortilux conversion bulb(same size as standard 1khps)
these have a decent inside reflector but also come with an adjustabe outside snap on reflector that is very nice :jump: . So far :yes: :yes: for the hydrofarm cool tubes

5 1/2 ftrs' under the new cooltube

Stan Laurel

Got my Adgro tube for under $50 form e-bay. Top marks all round, although an external shade maybe a useful addition.

Once she get's the chop I'll be fittting one b4 the next grow :wave:

3legdog

Cool tubes pretty much a cool tube & as long as it's atleast 6" than i'd stick w/ the cheapest ones you can find. The external reflector is quite nice but not worth that extra coin & especially since you really could make one yourself. Take care 3ld

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
cooltubes

cooltubes

I was wondering what kinda footprint these put out? Also I was just thinking that if you had the outside reflector couldn't you ajust the footprint by tweeking the sides a little ?

3legdog

Absolutly BC the ones i have use a inside the glass sheild that throws too wide of a pattern ..imo & the outside reflector has 2 plates down the sides that have 2 diff. footprints...just have to flip them over & re-screw them together. I also have bent my 250mh one even more my doing exactly what you suggested ...tweeking. Take care Peace 3ld

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
coverage...

coverage...

Thanks 3ld, I see what your saying about flipping the side pieces to broaden or narrow the foot print,that's kinda clever... So how much floor space do ya reckon this will cover ? useing a 1k hps

3legdog

Thats completly debatable but i will say these tubes throw some pretty intense light(w/ a 1kr') & for the first time in years i'm getting a bit of leaf bleaching directly under the tube...not bad enough to worry though & today i did a little rotating which will definetly help. I also just read in the new Growing Edge International that hydrofarm has several sizes of these tubes...some 5ft long for 2 1khps bulbs ...man what a light that would be...pic's look cool of the double 600w also...1 fan does it all ! Finally some easier to obtain well made cool tubes. Best of luck all 3ld

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
let me put it this way...

let me put it this way...

How many plants can you grow under one of these ? 3ld I have a 1k hortilux in a radiant reflector and not enough headroom so I know all about the bleaching thing. lol... My light was on a mover but now that I've cut way back on my # of plants I don't need to move it. Without it moveing and not being able to raise it any higher it's just to much for the plants... So I think I'm going to try a cooltube, I just want to know what to exspect before I get one. thanks... later BC

3legdog

I would say 6 or 8 plants per 1k cooltube although i only have 3 in there at the moment since they got a bit too tall in veg. this time. With (6) i get 2lbs. using my hydrofarm Daystar a/c hood (w/ 6"strait through cooling) & finishing them around 5ft

This Daystar hood is very low cut & only reqs' about 7" of headroom so you might also look at this hood for a low ceiling spot. I think the cooltube is better when a rectangular print is sought & the Daystar a/c is better for a more square 4x4 type...so mabey 8 plants with the cool tube & 6max w/ the Daystar...i duno just my thoughts... Best of luck with your purchace & take care BC Peace 3ld :joint:

issack

Veteran
Well it just really depends on what kind of style of growing you are going to do...I/E veg time....strain..

My new setup in production is 4 1k hydroteck cooltubes over a 16 feet by 4 foot bed...and 2 600w over a 3 1/2 by 8 foot bed...under each 4x4 footprint ( each light) i will be planting around 50 clones...every two weeks i plant 50 clones. this will go on 6 times before i harvest...after that i harvest every two weeks from then on. planting as i harvest.clones will have only 10 days veg....small fat plants...perpetual harvest is what i'm after...so there is many dif ways..

all we have to do is hang the lights now and run the duct...
I'll shoot some pics by this weekend on the new room....

good luck with the grow man!!!!

Octagoner

The Hydrofarm economy cooltube is Chinese glass which is 3.5 mm thick, the Hydrotek and the other ones out there are Czech glass which is 3 mm thick. Glass does cut down on PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) especially when its dirty I have heard up to 30%.

Patterns are mostly dictated on horizonal lights, by the lamp; as half the light comes directly off the lamp.

Light loving plants, need 40 Watts a square foot, as everybody knows.

The pattern from a LU1000 HPS @ 40 watt/sq.ft. is 4'X6' with the 4' dimention being parallel with the lamp. Common mistake people make is running the lamp/hoods the wrong way.

I saw a commercial greenhouse with tables set up that had their lights running the wrong way. They were more than a little embarrased when I pointed this out...

Also, Flex Duct and Insulated ducting is so much less efficent than 30 gauge warm air "hard pipe". You spend all this money on lights and inline fans, why cut down the cfm's by using flex duct?

G

thats an interesting point.... i think people use flex ducts cause they want the freedom to move their lights around abit....

issack

Veteran
secret squirrel said:
thats an interesting point.... i think people use flex ducts cause they want the freedom to move their lights around abit....

and that is exactly right...i need to use flex duct cause i will be turning on the lights one by one as they are strung up together......as i plant...i turn the light on...

i do wish i could run hard duct....but it wont work with my plan of attack...

everyone has a diff method of growing...that's what it comes down to

issack

Veteran
The hood that comes on the hydroteck lights is HUGE!!!!!!!!!....i'd say two feet wide by 2 1/2 feet long...i'll snap some pics when i get home.....post tonight for you guys to see...Aloha

SuperToker

if i was using a cooltube, i would use the bulbs with the built in reflector, and just a plain glass tube. why make it complicated?

issack

Veteran
SuperToker said:
if i was using a cooltube, i would use the bulbs with the built in reflector, and just a plain glass tube. why make it complicated?

it's not complicated....it gives you a bigger footprint..

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
Hey thanks alot 3ld and everyone else for all the great input. It's helped a lot... Can't wait to see you up and running Issack ! STAY SAFE... BC

3legdog

good stuff !

good stuff !

Octagoner your absolutly right on the sh#ty ducting i'am using w/ the cooltube right now unfortunatly it was all i could get enough length of in a pinch when i had to create another spot for these 3 large ones.

I will change it when i cut the 1st 2 of these down...end of aug. & will actually rearrange the set-up giving me a bit more room. Take care & thanks for sharing your thoughts :wave: 3ld

Issac whats up buddy :wave: I bought one of those white reflectors(almost identical) to the hygro... & used it w/ my home made (hurricane glass) 400whps cool tube & it really helped me be able to adjust to the pattern i wanted. Also i can't wait to see your FaT set-up when all is rolln'... :yoinks: ... count me in for the ride :joint: Peace 3ld btw whatya planning on sowing/growing?

No prob BC glad some others chimed in with there experiences/thoughts...good cool tube info in this thread & like mentioned it really is a matter of preference on how many per light....i just grow sm. trees right now & don't figure to be changn' that any time soon :canabis: Peace 3ld

Latest posts

Latest posts