What's new

Connoisseur Genetics - SSSDH - Drip/DWC

GastroGrower

Hello ICMag,

This thread will follow my attempts to grow two SSSDH plants from seed. My setup is as follows:

4'x2'x4' Tent
600 Watt Apollo Horticulture LED (Full Spectrum)
Botanicare PBP line of nutrients (Grow, Bloom, CalMag+, Liquid Karma, Silica Blast, Hydroplex)

Seeds were placed in water today to germinate. Assuming they pop and produce a tap root in the next few days, I'll be moving them to rockwool cubes. Once established, I'll move them to their final home in one of my Drip/DWC buckets. I will be planning on 4 - 6 weeks to veg them out ounce they are established in the buckets.

There will be two other plants in this tent (Barney's Farm Tangerine Dream) but I will be focusing primarily on the SSSDH in this thread.

GastroGrower

Difficulty Germinating

Difficulty Germinating

As of this morning, only one of the SSSDH seeds has popped. It's tap root is visible but seems to be growing very slowly. The other seed shows zero sign of popping yet.

All of the other seeds I germinated at the same time are moving along nicely and will be ready to put into rockwool today or tomorrow - so I don't believe it is an issue of environment. The SSSDH seeds are noticeably smaller, maybe that plays into the speed at which they germinate - not sure - but fingers crossed they show some change by Friday at the latest.

GastroGrower

I've moved both of the SSSDH seeds to rockwool cubes along with everything else I germinated - the one which had already germinated has made it up and is finally looking healthy. The other hasn't popped up yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

GastroGrower

Transplant time?

Transplant time?

All of the seeds that germinated now have tap roots coming out of the bottom of the rock wool cubes. I'm thinking it's time to go ahead and start to acclimate them to their new climate and in a day or two move them into the buckets. Any suggestions on the ideal time to transplant seedlings in rock wool? Should I wait until they fill out a bit or go ahead and get them in the buckets with a really low (if any) dose of nutrients and pH'd water?

Only ever moved clones into hydro setups so I'm new to this side of the seed game.

picture.php

I'm looking forward to seeing your results on this too.

I start in rockwool cubes and wait for at least 2 good looking roots before putting in a bigger cube, croutons, or hydroton. More than two is better if you can wait, but it can be a pain keeping those little cubes moist.

What media do you have in those pots? Is it growstones or just little rocks? Be careful you don't accidentally cut up the roots and make sure the area around the cube is getting moist until the roots grow down.

How deep are those net pots?

Can you post some more pics and stats of the system?

How well rooted do you let your clones get before transferring successfully?

GastroGrower

Hi ElGringrow,

Thanks for the advice. Makes sense. I guess I'm more focused on how long they should be staying in the humidity dome and don't want to push them. I figure they'll still grow a good amount in the next few days but I'll give them a little more time to bulk up their root system.

What media do you have in those pots? Is it growstones or just little rocks?

Yep Growstones. I've found them to work pretty well and I prefer them over expanded clay balls. That said, you do have to be really careful transplanting anything into it because they are pretty sharp.

How deep are those net pots?

Can you post some more pics and stats of the system?

How well rooted do you let your clones get before transferring successfully?

I want to say the net pots are about 8" - 10" deep with a 10" diameter.
The drip system is a General Hydroponics water farm kit which extends down to the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket.
I've also got 2 - 4 air stones in each bucket to keep everything aerated.

When I take clones I root them in an aeroponic cloner and getting quick, thick roots doesn't take too long so they usually get transplanted with a good amount of root mass.

GastroGrower

Forgot to include - since one of the SSSDH seeds didn't germinate, I'll be replacing it with a regular GlueBreath x Pink Bazooka I was gifted by DTOG. A second GB x PB will be in a 1 gallon coco/perlite mix as well.

GastroGrower

Update - Day 16

Update - Day 16

It's been a rough start for these seeds but they've all managed to make it to day 16 since transplant. I blame my lack of experience working with rockwool. Either way, they are starting to perk back up and increase in size and are just now getting to be update worthy. Here is a pic of the SSSDH today. The LED lighting makes it hard to see what the coloring looks like, but the lower leaves are showing some major deficiencies. These issues are mostly cleared up in the top leaves though and new growth appears to be healthy. I imagine it will completely stabilize and start to take of in growth by the end of this week.

picture.php

GastroGrower

Update - Day 22

Update - Day 22

Today I pulled one of the Tangerine Dreams and one of the Gluebreath x Pink Bazooka as they had pretty much shit the bed. Not sure what the cause was, but both plants stopped growing their roots out. Maybe too much water. The remaining three plants are looking much better though (relatively). The two girls in the DWC buckets have both made it down to the water and roots look nice and healthy. I am considering trying something to boost root growth. Any suggestions for this type of setup?

Tangerine Dream - still having a tough time
picture.php

Super Silver Sour Diesel Haze - Doing much better but still, ehh...
picture.php

GB x PB in coco, a little burned but doing good otherwise.
picture.php

GastroGrower

Update - Day 25

Update - Day 25

Here she is at day 25. looking better but still having a rough time. I've turned the pressure on the drip down a bit and I'm hoping that'll help.

picture.php

GastroGrower

Update - Day 32

Update - Day 32

10 days later - plants are looking much better. I've adjusted water pressure and covered any exposed stones to keep water from hitting the lower branches.

SSSDH
picture.php

Tangering Dream
picture.php

GB x PB
picture.php

They're getting to the point where they're 'clone sized' which I'm much more familiar dealing with. Hopefully this grow will improve as I'm a bit embarrassed about how it is right now.

DJXX

Veteran
the GluezookaBreath looks good...well all of them look pretty good too...you are gonna have mammoth plants with the SSSDH...DTOG knocked it out of the park with the Pink Bazooka line..DJXX

GastroGrower

Yeah the GB just got a flush with 3 gallons of RO water at 5.6 pH and I'll resume regular feeding tomorrow - so it should bounce back from some of the deficiency issues it's seeing and green up/grow noticeably.

GastroGrower

Update - Day 36

Update - Day 36

The weekend has been kind to the girls in this tent. All new growth is looking nice and healthy and it's increase in size noticeably. The fan leaves on the SSSDH remind me a lot of the Jack Herer cut I used to have.

picture.php
picture.php

I'll be vegging them for another two or three weeks before transitioning them to bloom. I think if I wait any longer than that I'll end up over growing the tent as I do expect some stretch.

GastroGrower

Update - Day 40

Update - Day 40

Here are the SSSDH and Tangerine Dream at 40 days from seed. The larger fan leaves on the SSSDH are as big as my hands right now.

SSSDH
picture.php

Tangerine Dream
picture.php

GastroGrower

Update - Day 43

Update - Day 43

I raised my light today and will be topping either today or tomorrow.

Group Shot
picture.php

Tangerine Dream
picture.php

SSSDH
picture.php

SSSDH
picture.php

GastroGrower

Today I took a clone/topped the SSSDH. It's in an aeroponic cloner and should be ready to transplant in a week or two. I plan on keeping her as a mother until I pop another one of these and feel it's worth replacing. I'm contemplating whether I should move it to coco coir or soil as I'm considering phasing out soil in my tents (so many pests).

One of the things I noticed about the plant when I took the cutting was how smooth it was on the underside of the leaves and the stem. Felt like velvet.

GastroGrower

Update - Day 51

Update - Day 51

Today marks the second day of week 7 for veg. The plant responded well to the topping. Roots are looking nice and healthy as well having almost filled the reservoir portion of the bucket. :plant grow:

picture.php
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts