What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Compact SOG with CFL's

krly

Hey, Doc; If time allows, could you go over your mother "maintenance" program ? i.e pot size, trim/topping schedule, nutes ???
Thanks..krly

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
knna said:
Kudos for this excelent thread! (and excelent grow :rasta: )

My grow is pretty similar to yours. I have 220w of CFL (4 DuluxL of 55w each, although the actual consuption, including ballast (electronic) is 215watts.

I grow too SOG style in 1l pots (1.5L milk bottles, with the top cut), 4" square and 6 1/2" height.

i only found reference of wet weight (21gr on average),

~~~Read that again Bro....
its 82Gm.Wet ....
21Gm. Dried
from 14-15 oz of soil mix~~~~

Berry_Coughin'

Veteran
:lurk: still watchin'....... DrBGg....so, at any given point, ideally you are running 27 of those bottle/pots, and pulling 3/week... giving you roughly 9 different weeks of growth....stages...?? so are you pulling every week, and replenishing the 3 you pull with 3 new clones ready to rip?? sorry if I'm dragging this out, little faded over here.... :D

keep on keepin' on..... you do a nice job....

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Berry_Coughin' said:
:lurk: still watchin'....... DrBGg....so, at any given point, ideally you are running 27 of those bottle/pots, and pulling 3/week... giving you roughly 9 different weeks of growth....stages...?? so are you pulling every week, and replenishing the 3 you pull with 3 new clones ready to rip?? sorry if I'm dragging this out, little faded over here.... :D

keep on keepin' on..... you do a nice job....
yep you got the idea...it's either 3 new clones or a re-juve they run thru 3 times B4 they are replaced....so its clone in 9weeks later Budz out and 5-14 days of rejuvanation and they go right back in 9 weeks later Budz back out and repeat

watermelon

theres somthing i dont really understand about compact SOGs.

whats the secret to stopping them stretching like crazy and becoming rootbound?

id love to do a micro sdog in one pint beer cups, but i dsont know how to conrtrol them.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
watermelon said:
theres somthing i dont really understand about compact SOGs.

whats the secret to stopping them stretching like crazy and becoming rootbound?

id love to do a micro sdog in one pint beer cups, but i dsont know how to conrtrol them.
Well you flower them at a very short height 1-2".....to me "Rootbound" is a state of mind and always has been...my clones run 3 cycles in the SAME 14-15ozs of soil(Vol.not Weight)...thats 60+ grams of bud for a "Rootbound" plant.....lol :canabis:

jrw

Hahahahaha. DrBudGreengenes, you have certainly figured things out! What an inspiration...

:Joint:

T

TheOneWill

I plan on doing this myself. I wanna get some bud like every month. But need to find a plant that produces allot of weight. Have a mom clone it every month an veg it for 3-6 months an flower it however long it takes to have some nice indica trichs.

T

TheOneWill

Would you have to make a special strain to do this type of setup you do DrBudGreengenes?

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
TheOneWill said:
Would you have to make a special strain to do this type of setup you do DrBudGreengenes?
This will work with any MJ strain that grows roots and leaves.
:yeahthats

I sprouted some Blueberry on 10-09-07 I'll be runnin them thru soon and I think I'm gonna order "Hashberry" to play with over the winter... :canabis: :canabis:

so you guys will get to see other strains do the same thing or very close
:rasta:

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Ganico said:
You know what? I almost shot right off and made a cab out of this little closetmaid cabinet I have. 12" x 12" x 30". With a 70w hps, and two 15 blue spectrum cfl's on the side

Had this idea to do 9 plants in quart size square pots

I'm not seeing how I'm gonna be able to get the same proportion of yield though. I'm thinking maybe 7g off each one, which'd be 63g.
I'm sure genetics got a lot to do with it though, a pure sativa or sativa dom probably ain't gonna get the same results in this setup
Yours will prolly be better than mine when ya get it all dailed in......
I wish I could use a HPS...

the "Secret" is mount the lights in the top and don't move them.....figure out your start height to finish up2-3"s under your light and you should have some very sweet plants
Sativas love this style SOG is the shit :woohoo:
:rasta:

Ganico

Veteran
So you get 20oz in the setup? Man, I'm really not seeing get 10oz dry out of a 1 sq ft cab, haha , even with 100w per sg ft. Is that even possible you think?

I was also thinking a 150w hps, with two 42w blue spectrum CFL's on the side. And doing 8-9 one-gallon pots.
Migh could get 1oz per plant, but still half of what you're getting, I still don't get how you're doing that, haha

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
i wish i found this thread sooner

i wish i found this thread sooner

tagged! i just finished a test run in my cab with 150w hps and im about to run a SOG of 9-12 females that finish in 44oz cups. i have to say your grow is very very nice for cfls. you run all indicas right? also if you dont mind me asking how much grow height do you have inside your box?

Endo

IcMag Resident Comic Relief
Veteran
we drink alot of water in 16.9 oz bottles tall and thin... thinking this might be a good idea? how about a 16 oz party cup? i really love love love your setup. thinking about doing this on a bigger scale with my 600w. i can see it now a tray 10x10 square pulling 10 every week... man id love to get that started.

ps
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to DrBudGreengenes again.

Endo

T

TheOneWill

Yeah i got some Jack Poison seeds and they grow pretty quick, I got 6 of them 3 are tall and 3 are short an bushy. I'm gonna work with them an try to cross them with sweet tooth.

gOurd^jr.

Fantastic!, 2.7g/w=blowin my mind.
A while back I was trying out a run 250w HPS with ~30 females in mostly 64oz. containers. Unfortunately I had to abort due to security issues. heres how some plants looked early in flower

Sour mist clones

SDxA11 seedlings
here's where I was keeping my grow thread if anyone wants to see it was a tumultuous journey but i still was looking at a record yield for my setup.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=31332

i have since relocated and Am now only running what used to be my Veg box. It has 5x23w warm white CFL in ~2 square ft. And I am doing a sog from seed. I gave 20 seedlings 2weeks of 20/4 lighting in party cups, then switched the lights to 11/13, and two weeks later all males were gone and 11 females went into 64oz cups like pictured above. They are in my version of moonshine mix and they are loving it. I have half your wattage so if I got half your yield or 10g/plant I would yield close to 4oz. I was hoping for half that but time will tell. Of course i am using ~4times as much dirt... anyway just wanted to share since I am running a similar CFL SOG in the same space. good comparison and you've given me some serious hope and inspiration
Thanxs Dr.!!

Peace Love Positive Vibrations

edit: I will try to borrow a camera soon and snap a few shots for you visual people, Friday will mark 4th week since light change. :)

Last edited:

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
knna said:
:jawdrop:

Damn, i really have room to improve.

So if now i understand well, in 9 weeks you harvest 21gr (plant's average)*27 plants=567gr of dry bud. Over a lb from 210w of CFL in two months, at 2,7gr/w.

Probably i understood bad because i thought that yield is unbeliable :yes:

Two month and 1 week and yes you have yer #'s right
I have also been doing this (Growing MJ) for 26 years...these #'s will take a few grows to get dialed in :joint:

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Ganico said:
So you get 20oz in the setup? Man, I'm really not seeing get 10oz dry out of a 1 sq ft cab, haha , even with 100w per sg ft. Is that even possible you think?

I was also thinking a 150w hps, with two 42w blue spectrum CFL's on the side. And doing 8-9 one-gallon pots.
Migh could get 1oz per plant, but still half of what you're getting, I still don't get how you're doing that, haha

Yes but not by "Normal Means"...you will need to build a "Special Box" for this project....."Are Ya' Handsome? or Handy with the tools"? :rasta:

D0nC0smic

so more than 2 zips a week, from 3 rather small boxes. DAMN, i think that could put just about every personal gorwer in a very very good place. Why can't you use a HPS?