What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Compact SOG with CFL's

Hey Doc, don't mean to change the topic of the moment here, but I ran into something I thought you might find interesting, and I couldn't PM you due to my post count. Anyway, Google "Bedini motor". Looks like a perpetual battery charger to me man.

I'm with The Afficianado, I read your thread every couple of days.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
"Wood Gas = FREE Power"

"Wood Gas = FREE Power"

Talk about Whatever Bro...

The "Bedini motor" is VERY Interesting....

Right now I am building a "Wood-Gas" System Based on a Suzuki 1.3L engine....the "WG" will give me 60% power at the crank...which will power a PTO A/C Generator after the trans.... on the front are 4 GM Alts. for 12volt charging...and an Air Compressor for the shop.
the floor of the Kitchen and Bathroom are the radiator for the Engine. Warm floors and a cool engine.

So I light the "Wood Gasifier" burner .....5 min later I fire the Engine....and away we go for FREE
FREE Hot water
FREE 12 volt power
FREE 8,000 Watts of A/C Power
and my bathroom and Kitchen will have warm floors

All from wood scraps!!!!

Google "Wood Gas" it's a lost art.....from the 40's....it kept Europe running during the "War".....they had NO Petro.

G

i like that gasifier/generator thing, what would your fuel consumption be like? and is it something that is meant to run 24/7 or would it require cool off/rest times? i realize in the summer the load would be lightened but would you still have hot floors in the heat?

sorry for all the questions, but this idea is very interesting

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
rkrone said:
i like that gasifier/generator thing, what would your fuel consumption be like?
~~~I will fill a "Hopper" maybe twice a week....with wood-chips maybe 2-300Lbs of "Bio-mass" a week in the winter and 100 or so in the summer~~~

and is it something that is meant to run 24/7 or would it require cool off/rest times?

~~~It can run 24/7 if needed~~~

i realize in the summer the load would be lightened but would you still have hot floors in the heat?
~~~ No hot floor in the summer just turn a valve and it runs thru a 55 gal. barrel...that keeps it cool~~~

sorry for all the questions, but this idea is very interesting

~~~Ask away man....~~~

G

what is the bio-mass, and it is readily available or able to be self produced/renewed? and how is this bio mass converted into a useable fuel in the engine?

and just one more

and is the suzuki 1.3 a small car engine or some other type of engine?

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
rkrone said:
what is the bio-mass, and it is readily available or able to be self produced/renewed? and how is this bio mass converted into a useable fuel in the engine?

~~~ Thre Bio-mass is wood chips......I have an Unlimited supply~~~
and just one more

and is the suzuki 1.3 a small car engine or some other type of engine?

~~~ It's the stock motor in a Samurai,Metro,Swift.....I build "Samurai-Based Rockcrawlers"~~~
~~~Any I/C engine will work~~~

Last edited:

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
I still can beleive the yield you get from this box. If I new I could get that kind of harvest i would stop scrog.

krly

Doc, I believe you said your flower box was 28" tall (?) Since your lights are fixed do you elevate the individual pots when they're first placed into the box ?
Also, Doc, or anyone else, what's the heat like from 5 42w cfl's as compared to a 150w hps ?
Thanks........krly

Smoke68

Dr. Bud, Thank you... It is the men (I would say us but you are on a whole nother level) like you that shape and carve the way cannabis is harvested. It is you who finds the most efficient way for us to cultivate our creations, relaxations and medicines. Thank you.
I too have read this thread many times and never really chimed in. Dr.; Teach me of your ways. All of this plant material from 1/2L of soil??? Insane!!! I heard max was around a zip per gallon... I know I know... way too many cariables to determine, but just as a general statement.
BTW, I know this is a micro SOG thread, but do you start of plants in spring, fill your box, and put them outside to make Pusher bushes? I was thinking something along the lines of what are doing, but I think I will be getting some 150 HPS's, but CFL have always and will always have a spot in my garden.
One last question... I know your system is kicken out some greenery that boxes 2wice that size are, but what made you go with SOG, instead of SCROG? It would seem that with CFL with less penetration would make that more suitable, but obviously you made it work great. So I was just wondering have you made any attempts to ScrOG. Thank you doc... you might have just started me heart back up for my micro... now it is just down to moral issues.
Smoke68 :rasta:

waydee

Well after reading this thread over once more i've decided to... well, im pretty much going to copy what you do :)

I just went out and got a propagator and a bunch of rockwool cutting cubes, got a few clones already in there and will purchase some more seeds to establish a few mothers. I'm going to find a cabinet to put this in, probably with 70w 6400k cfl for rooting the clones.

I'm going to follow your lead and use the small containers, probably 24 plants under 140w of HPS and 60w of 2700k CFL. The ease of putting in a few cuttings per week and taking out a few just sounds great, true perpetual harvest and 7-14g a week would more than satisfy my needs.

edit: my Scrog is great and all and I think its a really efficient use of the space but if I can even come close to the results you're achieving with this sog, i'll really increase my yield I think + the true perpetuality of this setup makes it really attractive.

Last edited:

waydee

Just one question - you're getting great results from small containers, do you think thats maybe because they're quite deep? I've pondered using wider shallower containers (or small pots) to conserve headroom but maybe the depth of your bottles is a key to your success.

Cheers

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
I'll be trying this in the future also. I'm going to try the larger Aquafina bottles. Not sure how many oz they are.

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
krly said:
Doc, I believe you said your flower box was 28" tall (?) Since your lights are fixed do you elevate the individual pots when they're first placed into the box ?
Also, Doc, or anyone else, what's the heat like from 5 42w cfl's as compared to a 150w hps ?
Thanks........krly
~~~Yup' they sit on some 4" pots that are about 5 Inches tall for about 7-10 days when they first go in
If the 150 has a remote ballast I think it will be cooler....cuz my 42's in this small space is HOT....the fan is all that keeps it cool enuff to grow~~~

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
waydee said:
Just one question - you're getting great results from small containers, do you think thats maybe because they're quite deep? I've pondered using wider shallower containers (or small pots) to conserve headroom but maybe the depth of your bottles is a key to your success.

Cheers
~~~The depth is indeed the reason.....
It was discovered by accident...........

I started using them along time ago bcuz they came in a holder....(That can be "Found" in a stack behind every convience store)..that allowed me to control the spacing in a room or closet

They come in a 20 oz.1Ltr. and 2Ltr.
They hold the bottle very well even as they dry out...the 1Ltr. one fits in a rubbermaid tub nicely for a flood and drain watering system~~~

waydee

Thanks for that, i'm thinking i'll use 1 litre water bottles cut down a little. I'll have to start collecting them :) good reason to drink more water I guess.

Cheers

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
DrBudGreenGenes- so is your yield consistant when using other strains? What other strains have you grown and with what results?? Do you have a top pic of your garden?

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
waydee said:
Thanks for that, i'm thinking i'll use 1 litre water bottles cut down a little. I'll have to start collecting them :) good reason to drink more water I guess.

Cheers
~~~My girlz won't behave themselves in a 1 ltr....they try to get 4 feet tall~~~

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
Connoisseur300 said:
DrBudGreenGenes- so is your yield consistant when using other strains? What other strains have you grown and with what results?? Do you have a top pic of your garden?
~~~I've done SOG like this with...
Haze x NL#5 (Seed Bank)
Hash Plant Pure (Seed Bank)
M48 (SSSC)
C99 (RayJay)
C88 (RayJay)
Lemon Spice (RayJay)
Leda Uno (RayJay)
Blueberry(DJ's)
AK48 (RayJay)
And several unnamed strains over the years all with excellent results... Most Sativa will become HUGE like this you will need stakes for them on about week 5

I can't get a camera to focus at 1" even on macro in there (Thats all the room I have in there) ....I can't even fit a door in there.....its a panel that screws on and off....lol~~~

waydee

DrBudGreengenes said:
~~~My girlz won't behave themselves in a 1 ltr....they try to get 4 feet tall~~~

Am I right in thinking 20oz is around 700ml? i normally buy pop in 500ml bottles, think those would be big enough?
cheers

Latest posts

Latest posts