What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Committing suicide...

SpasticGramps

Don't Drone Me, Bro!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use to have a saying in my sig. "Smile :) Life sucks but it's better than dying."

Suicide is for the weak.

purple_man

Veteran
yarppp gramps! as the old saying goes: "smile n the world will smile with you, cry n you will cry alone"!

it's sad seeing so many good souls commiting suicide, just because we living in a cold n sort of selfish world...

blessss

OsWiZzLe

my homeboy killed himself because his Stupid ass Wife left him for him another loser......Homie took an entire bottle of Roxies to the dome and never woke up.....to this day everytime i see his kids...all i want to do is jump inside his grave and smack his ass upside his dome ....for real....the aftermath of suicide horrible.....television doesnt help...makes people get these stupid ideas brewing

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran

I don't believe autism is on the rise, I only believe that the number of people diagnosed with autism is increasing.

Neither do I.

these days one knows within minutes how many autistic (or any other deficiencies around) are there - worldwide.

That's what we have Google for.

I don't think Google existed 100 years ago ;) and neither was sharing info as easy as it is these days.

So yeah just because we all can easily find out how many autistic people are around in southern Japan but no one had a clue about that not too long ago doesn't mean that Autism or other stuff wasn't around before modern times - we now just find out about it easier.

David762

Selfish? Perhaps ...

Selfish? Perhaps ...

Suicide is a cowards way of dealing with life.......The most selfish act one can commit....fuck how you feel about yourself....the impact you have on those that love it eternal damage....Man the Fuck Up Cousin

Selfish? Perhaps ... but suicide is also the ultimate expression of control over one's own existence. If the loved ones, assuming there are any, of that person considering suicide were astute enough to discern changes in the condition of the potential suicide's life to reach that point, why was enough not done to alleviate those conditions?
I'm not making excuses for what many would consider a "coward's way out" -- only pointing out how self-absorbed most people are, especially in the culture of today's society.
Everything in today's modern society costs money, and sometimes a lot of money -- money has in fact replaced spirituality. And many of those things which help people to cope with their trials & tribulations that cost the least amount of money have been artificially been made illegal -- like cannabis and psychedelic drugs. In fact, certain psychedelic drugs have anecdotally been known to change a person's spiritual and mental condition for the better in only a few sessions with the drug. Big Pharma doesn't make their fortunes from cures for diseases or mental conflicts -- they make their money from the long-term management of the symptoms, and even better for them if their "solutions" are highly addictive.

The following is slightly off-topic regarding the suicide of otherwise healthy young people who have reached the limits of their mental and emotional ability to cope:
Were those people who leaped out of the World Trade Center Towers windows to their certain deaths to escape the conflagration also "cowards"?
Are those people who have increasingly painful and ultimately deadly diseases "cowards" when they elect to overdose on their medications, rather than proceed with the known results of their downward spiral?
I mention these only to point out a special cognitive disconnect that society has between such issues as wanting to ban abortions, but ignore the health & life condition of the mother and child; or waging illegal and immoral wars to control the resources of others for our own benefit; or even the widespread endorsement in the USA of capital punishment. The untimely death of any innocent person is a tragedy, but the death of many many innocent people is a statistic. Why is that?

:tiphat:

T

TrichyTrichy

Be kinder than necessary to everyone. You never know the dark hallways they walk.

OsWiZzLe

I see where your coming from ....makes alot of sense in so many ways...but I stand by what I said....in all honesty.....Killing yourself for something that isnt worth it..such as money , love, and Ego is busted ass shit.....

Now if your left with the option of burning to death or jumping out of a buidling and ending it quick...then i'd lace my Jordans up ..flip my tounge out ....and say fuck it here I come

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
touchy thread....when i think about suicide i see some people who clearly are unable to handle life and take the easy way out. its easy to call these people cowards, etc. but then i think about our servicemembers who are committing suicide in alarming rates...and no way to call these people cowards. from what i read alot of military personal come home and feel truely disconnected and may suffer PTSD and flashbacks of the things they saw. maybe for them suicide is an escape.

its hard to generalize because there are many different kinds. what about the japanese soldiers who committed ritual suicide because they didnt want to go home in defeat and lose their honor?? thats a little differnet than the emo goth kid who slits his wrist because he hates his parents and wants to make everyone else around him feel as sad as he does...

OsWiZzLe

You guys have to remember a good part of those Soldiers who kill themselves are trying to cope with the fact they just killed many innocent people....and for what? some rich old corporate busters....Who invaded our country? I'd be depressed if I saw a bunch of my friends get killed in a war for no reason and also watch a bunch of my fellow servicemen rape and kill innocent people...

Last time being a soldier was something of respect was WW2...when you come back home and having nothing to hang your hat up with honor....you ask yourself wtf did i even enlist for...no wonder so many military people go nuttz

The iD

irony - a group of repressed individuals that encourage personal rights and freedoms while condemning personal rights and freedoms.

everyone is selfish.

-iD

statusquo

If someone finds peace in death isn't it selfish of others to expect that they endure it just so you don't have to go through the grieving process? You don't know someone else's pain and you don't know their reasons for committing suicide.

Also, it must be noted that MANY suicides are done extremely haphazardly (suicidal gestures) and most people don't really want to die. These are the selfish people IMO. My parents are both doctors and between the two of them they have only seen maybe two or three people out of ~100 actually come close to killing themselves by cutting their wrist as just a small anecdotal piece of evidence. I sincerely believe that most people that really go through with it have a genuine chemical inbalance brought on by genetics and/or environment. On the other hand, I also believe that some people do it for conscious reasons as well.

All this being said, I don't personally think that suicide is a viable or proper action. I definitely don't think we should be saying what the majority of people in here are saying, though.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
^yea same with Vietnam, soldiers came back hated by the general population, not cheered like in WWII.

i think it has alot to do with the disconnect..they arrive back home, and nobody seems to care or even recognize their sacrifice. they have flashbacks daily, from driving down the freeway and suddenly seeing a carbomb or being in a supermarket and suddenly the voices drown out and you hear screams and gunshots.....this is what an ex servicemember who was on Route Clearance Package told me happens to him sometimes.
the stats show that more military soldiers are dying from suicide than combat, that needs to be fixed somehow..

like i said PTSD and military combat are something that is way different than your average kid popping extra tylenol pills to kill himself..

mosstrooper

Im only replying to the OP, i havent read any other posts.

I think to be young now is harder than alot of grown ups appreciate, we like to think that kids have never had it so good, that they should be glad/grateful/happy to be alive. And, that no matter how dark it seems, "there is always light at the end of the tunnel".

But, i think its more complicated than that.

When i was young, a long time ago, everyone around me was broadly speaking, "poor", not desperatly poor, but poor nevertheless, im not going to tell you how hard my childhood was, in fact i had a perfect childhood, and the reason why? Nobody had shit, nobody had ipods, nor fancy phones, smart clothes, xbox, computers, and all the other crap that counts for so much.

Its not that im saying a lack af materiel possesions is the cause of all this unhapiness, its not, its the fact that there is so much inequality now, if we where all poor, or all rich it would be fine, but actually, there are enormous gradations and it causes a lot of young people i know a huge amount of stress.

And really this is just the tip of the iceberg. Inequality is very much a part of modern western ideology, some kids get better grades, they get better jobs, they are better looking, get nicer girls, some of this is natural, other stuff not so much so.

But the upshot of our obsession with worth and deservedness our so called meritocracy has one draw back, some people are "WORTH" far more than others.

And some kids feel there stock is of such meagre value, and that they have so little future other than pumping gas, that suicide becomes viable.

If your teacher at school, in what may be a misguided but well meaning tactic of telling you, "all you will do is collect trash or pump gas" when these sorts of messages are subtly bleeding through constantly, what other option is there other than a miserable life of drudgery?

Obviously, any sane person will think/say, study hard, get good grades, go to college, improve options, better yourself.

And lots of kids do just this. But the ones who have lost faith, who's peers seem to have got too far ahead, who's friends seem to get all the breaks, its very hard to reach these kids, they are not stupid, they know when you are bullshitting them, they know when you condsend to their level and try to jolly them along.

Some kids will humour you and play along, they know your a well meaning soul, and they don't want to upset you.

Some kids just disapear altogether into the kids underworld, i dont mean in a literal sense, i just mean in terms of observed behaviour.

They hang out with their like minded mates and sya f*** y** to all of us grown ups.

The problem is, how do you offer anyone, old or young hope? You can point them in the right direction, you can offer excellent advice, you can give them money, or tools or anything to try and make them feel like there are avenues and possibilities. But you can t always make it right. Sometimes they only way would be to virtually adopt them, to take them under your wing, but this is only very rarely practical in this day and age.

Many people i know, at varying different ages, mainly men, but a couple of women too have committed suicide, it breaks my heart every time. But sometimes, i do understand why.

Everybody needs something to live for. Life isnt an end in itself. I think what happens to alot of people is they have a bad bad time when they are young, and then either by accident or design, they have kids, and usually, then, they are saved.

I hope this doesnt piss you off, it is sincere and well meant and i entirely respect and support your efforts to help younger people.

Im sorry for the loss of your son, nobody should have to endure that, there can be nothing more painful to happen to a person.

Peace brother, and keep up the good work spreading hope and good will.

Bionic

Cautiously Optimistic
Veteran
Suicidal thoughts/actions can be a side effect (on an otherwise normal person) of the myriad drugs that are prescribed nowadays.

Ramius

Veteran
I lost my sister due to suicide last fall. Done a bit of reading on it.

Suicide is the result of depression and chemical imbalances. People don't just kill themselves "just because". It's because they are mentally ill. It's the result of a person's genetics predisposition to depression and trauma the person has experienced.

Saying it's the "height of human selfishness" or "for pussies" is about as ignorant and stupid as you can possibly get. :2cents:

Quoted for truth. People who are quick to say suicide is for pussies etc have no idea what is going through a mentally unstable persons mind

E

el dub

I'm guessing a significant number of young people who commit suicide are gay and unable to deal with the stigma attached.

lw

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I lost my sister due to suicide last fall. Done a bit of reading on it.

Suicide is the result of depression and chemical imbalances. People don't just kill themselves "just because". It's because they are mentally ill. It's the result of a person's genetics predisposition to depression and trauma the person has experienced.

Saying it's the "height of human selfishness" or "for pussies" is about as ignorant and stupid as you can possibly get. :2cents:

Good post, I'm sorry for your tragedy.

The guy's right, folks. Nobody knows what it's like to walk in these shoes until we find them on our own feet. Some of us will get counseling and others will suffer. And a small percentage of us will choose the alternative.

Latest posts

Latest posts