What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Commercial outdoor organic soil mixes for 2016

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks for setting me straight MJ ~the high H thing seems like an obvious red flag for "unfinished" now that you mention it. bang for the buck makes sense ~just use less {it's what i been doing}

milkyjoe

Veteran
Actually after taking another look at the casting test's- It seems the 'Bulk' brand has closer values to albrecht than the heritage did.

Is the high ppm of zinc (61.33) or the higher ppm of aluminum (309), anything to worry about?

I would go with the bulk and the "clay".

You have plenty of semi digested organic matter in your mix already with peat. No need for more

milkyjoe

Veteran
A little top soil math

I found some top soil really close to me for like $30 a yard. It lackef organic matter so I made a 2 parts top soil/1 part peat mix and sent it to logan.

Tcec 25.94
pH. 5.3
Organic matter. 10.35
Sulfer. 21 ppm
P2O5. 110 lbs per acre

Ca. 47.94%
Mg. 8.22%
K. 0.87%
Na. 0.16%

So it looks like it needs a lot til you do the math. For example it needs 2108 lbs of Ca/acre. But, considering this is 75% of the mix with some drainage amendment being the rest, I only need 2 lbs per yard Ca.

10 lbs of crab meal satisfies that...no extra minerals needed.

I can finish this mix without having to deal with a single thing in excess. And it will weigh 3x the normal mix...hold 3x the food at equal tcec. For less than $50 a yard.

Edit...finished that is 41 ppm P2O5. I will have to add a little P

TheOutlawTree

So I'm still at sort of a stand still here. The yard is sounding like they may not be willing to work with me on the peat moss deal. They told me I'm getting the peat so cheap because the 55 cu ft bales are compressed, and that there 160-180$ a yard peat is so expensive because it comes pre-fluffed. I'm not buying that completely, I mean even if it took them a full 8 hour day to fluff the bales @ 150$ an hour the alaska peat would still only cost around 50$ a yard. I still havent talked with them directly but that should be done this week to confirm our decision on that.

A consultant I'm working with, wants to change the whole ammendment part of the mix. It does sound better to me, but I'm not sure about cost's just yet. He thinks it will only be around 15$ per yard for the ammendments. He is also not liking the fact that the place in grass valley uses a front end loader for the mixing, and i agree but what can you do.

He wants to do the following in unknown amounts, depending on the results of the base mix test results

Kelp Meal
Humate Ore
Azomite
Glacial rock dust
Tennessee brown phosphate
fish bone meal
Feather meal
Chile nitrate of soda

Sulfates of iron, manganese, copper, zinc, and potash
Kmag
myco-apply beneficial fungi
solubor boron
------------------------

I am in contact with a place in oregon that is more commercial and has a big soil batch mixer. They told me they can even source zeolite which is sweet because i really wasnt looking forward to hand mixing 80 gallons of the clay at my land into each 800g pot. I'm still waiting for the test results to confirm the clay at my land will even work.

TheOutlawTree

I took 6 different samples of the dirt from last year and just got the results back. They dont look that bad to me... But i'm wondering how the heck the K is deficient after it was all the way up at 16-20% base saturation in the summer? Did the plants really use it all up, or did the gypsum change that somehow?

Attachments

• soil tests 2 15 004.jpg
    soil tests 2 15 004.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 8
  • soil tests 2 15 005.jpg
    soil tests 2 15 005.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 13

TheOutlawTree

Another question-

What is the real difference between pure zeolite, and red clay? Would i be much better off using zeolite in my mix than red clay?

I am in contact with a zeolite mine in sandy valley NV, where i can get about 31 yards of pure zeolite for around 3k- without shipping. The guy is supposed to send me a bunch of test results from the zeolite- as far as whats in it, but he says its pure so I'm assuming its the same as all other pure zeolite.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Zeolite is very different than clay. It is more like a coarse grained sand that is green. 3 grows in it appears exactly as when I put it in the mix

Its advantage is you can load it with ammonium sulfate and have a slow release N...you can use it to control the c:n ratio.

I would seriously recommend not using more than 50 lbs a yard and precharging it.

This I'd another issue I would love to see avenger weigh in on. He tends to research things on a much deeper level than me

jd123

Joe do you till or no-till outdoors? I remember seeing your plants last year and they were pulling their own N source from nearby vegetation (it didnt look like you purposely planted it either but it just naturally grew there and your plants were using it). Butte would grow his cover crop and then mow and till it in. I've seen people plant directly into their cover and let it grow right along with their plants. I suppose theres probably certain plants that serve as a cover/companion plant and then some are more suited to grow and turn under before planting.

How was your average last year? Did those lower canopy sites fill in like you were shooting for? That was some insane stacking you had going on.

Last edited:

TheOutlawTree

The zeolite company just sent me 8 PDF documents that would give me my doctorate degree on zeolite. After skimming through i have found that that zeolite is pretty amazing and has many many uses.

I think its probably wise to use it in my mix. It will only up the cost of my mix by around 15$ per yard, and than I don't have to worry about hand mixing the clay from my land that is probably not consistent across the board anyway. What do you guys think?

- "storehouse for essential plant nutrients including nitrate, Phosphate, and Potassium
- High surface area provides soil with aeration and water retention capabilities
- Retains 50% of its weight in water and nutrients
- Buffers soil PH levels
- Moderates the nitrification of ammonia
- Controls nutrient assets by inhibiting release rates
- Prevents leaching or vaporization of essential plant nutrients
- Improves aeration of deep root systems by preventing soil compaction
- Prevents the accumulation of sodium in soil
- Reduces odors caused by various organic nutrients
- Controlled release of ammonia prevents root burn
- Large surface area provides platform for microbiological activity"

Milky I will run the pre-charging by astera to see what he says as well. He mentioned not using zeolite but using high grade calcium betonite clay called PelBon. I just forwarded all the test's for the zeolite though, so well see what he says. How exactly would I pre-charge the zeolite?

On another note- met with the yard today. They dont want to use the compressed bails of alaska peat, they say it will end up costing the same as one of there peats by the time they are done fluffing it.

I have searched around, and while i can certainly get my base mix cheaper than the place in grass valley, the freight is going to up my price per yard by 40$, even coming from humboldt.

I think when its said and done, assuming i use the zeolite in my mix it will be around 140$ per yard including tax, maybe a little less. I'm ok with that, this mix should be far superior vs vermifire or vital earth's mix that only has enough nutrients for a month and isnt balanced (at least vermifire anyway)

Attachments

• Zeolite tests 005.jpg
    Zeolite tests 005.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Zeolite tests 006.jpg
    Zeolite tests 006.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Zeolite tests 007.jpg
    Zeolite tests 007.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Zeolite tests 009.jpg
    Zeolite tests 009.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 9

milkyjoe

Veteran
IMG_20151025_115021.jpg

Jd...they filled out ok.

I have been no till 2 yrs. I have not decided for this spring.

I have a different situation that keeps me from letting plants grow really big. If my neighbors complain I will have to cut them down...so I stay safe and grow In more than 1 spot.

One of those spots I dug holes and filled with my soil. This is where "cover crops" grew out of nowhere...mostly broad leaf stuff with some wild flax. I will use build a soils mix next yr.

In pots avoiding the top drying out is a bigger concern to me. I use straw cause it breaks down slower

milkyjoe

Veteran
Outlaw...I really advise against more than 50 lb zeolite per yard. I have not gone above that...could be it holds stuff so tight your microbes don't get ot quickly enough.

I just water the zeolite with a solution of as. I do it in a smartie to runoff

1 thing for sure zeolite is no magic bullet no matter what the marketing implies. It is at best a tweak on top of a living, balanced soil. Not worth huge risk

TheOutlawTree

Milky, so you think I'm best to stick to the original plan of just using the clay at land that's free, as long as it tests ok? It wouldn't break my heart... Saving 4-5k

TheOutlawTree

Just got the results back on my clay... Now im out to mix the base mix and send results in for that. Is the high PPM of aluminum nothing to worry about?

EDIT- On of my consultants told me not to use this clay because it has a low CEC and is acidic. I was advised to get some PelBon Clay for my mix, which has a CEC of 31 and good amounts of CA, MG, and FE.

EDIT2- He also told me that i want to use the Pelbon at a rate of 10% by weight, not volume. I have to dry 1 gallon each of everything in the base mix for weighing in my oven

Attachments

• soil tests 2 19 004.jpg
    soil tests 2 19 004.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Sounds good essential, thank you for sharing!

As of now I am eyeing the cootz mix from Rare earth, but i would like to know how much i could order all of the amendments for on my own or from other sources to compare. I am obviously all about the most bang for my buck! Here is something that another member on the forums shared about the cootz from buildasoil

"A member did take each component into consideration and here is what they came up with:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I will post up the price list I came up with. I priced most of the material off Build-a-soil, so I am sure some prices can be beat. All prices were taken off the largest product size for cheapest sourcing. For example, the kelp came in 1, 5, 10, 15, 50 lb bags. I went off the 50lb bag for cheapest results.

Build a soil mix

1 part worm power 300-500$ a yard Lets say 500 on the high side
1 part sphagnum Peat Moss ($85-$112 a yard) Lets say 100 for easy math
2/3 part pumice (about $55 a yard)
1/3 part rice hulls (about $55 a yard)
$216.50 per yard for base

Nutrients included in the soil:
Acadian Kelp Meal @ ½ cup per cubic foot ($18.27 a yard)
Neem Cake and Karanja Cake 50/50 mix @ ½ cup per cubic foot ($17.50 a yard)
Crustacean Meal @ ½ cup per cubic foot ($13.50 a yard)
Gypsum Dust @ 1 cup per cubic foot ($14.71 a yard)
Brix Blend Basalt @ 1 cup per cubic foot ($24.87 a yard)
Glacial Rock Dust @ 1 cup per cubic foot ($15.23 a yard)
Oyster Flour @ 1 cup per cubic foot ($22.50 a yard)

$126.58 for the additives per yard

216.50 + 126.58 = $343.08 per yard"

Would you change anything for smartpots in a greenhouse?

TheOutlawTree

Got my test results back from the base mix. This was with 10% by weight pelbon.

I did the base mix test with and without the lava. Things are moving along slowly but surely. I've got to wait 2-3 weeks before the pelbon will be delivered but after that its time to mix

Attachments

• soil tests 2 29 003.jpg
    soil tests 2 29 003.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
R

Robrites

Well here's the rates of amendments I,m supposed to use in my mix... This is for 20 yards. It seems like a whole lot less ammendments than shcrews / coots mix

Fish bone meal- 38 lbs
Gypsum- 20 lbs
High calcium ag lime- 66 lbs
Feather meal- 44 lbs
Kelp meal 22 lbs
Azomite 22 lbs
Glacial rock dust 22 lbs
Humate ore 22 lbs
Paramagnetic basalt 44 lbs

My consultant certainly knows his stuff, and I'm not trying to question his advice....but it makes me wonder how this will work all season when something like shcrews modified coots mix has soooo much more amendments. If anyone could further explain or give me some input that would be greatly appreciated.
The parts of your soil test I looked at seemed relatively close so you might not need much. Your mix and the coots mix are different and so need different amendments/amounts. With 20 yards of soil, I'd probably get more than one test done.

TheOutlawTree

Yeah the coots base has 33% compost and castings, the orechron base has around 15% castings.... It's starting with less nutrients from the start. The mix I posted is obviously a little different than both orechrons and the coots but none the less, has a lot less amendments.

This mix has had enough tests done... It's ready to be mixed when the calcium bentonite arrives in a couple weeks. Once the soil is in its 800g pots I will add the sulfates / mix on my own.

I noticed this mix has a lot of the same ammendments as essential,s has....but a different base because of the added calcium bentonite.

Just started reading the ideal soil 2.0, that should help me understand more.

Edit- help me understand it did. Just got done reading about Cec and it cleared everything up for me, a great read so far.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts