What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Come on in to Tiger's Den - Sweet13 by TRC

hi tiger i been reading your journal and notice alot of work and problem but they came out frosty. can you tell me what day they were when u veg them and when the flowering start.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Eulogy - Hey hey bro :wave: Yeah, shit happens, but no big deal. My potential mommas lost a bunch of fan leaves, but I'm not too worried - as long as they're alive, there is hope :D And yeah, I grabbed another 1k. You know me and lights LOL

Gaius - Great to have you stop by! Yes, I'm hoping to grab a new round of clones here shortly. Thing is, I desperately need to make room in my veg closet, and I really want to move into the new room, but finanaces are against me. More on this later though.

Eye - Glad to have you stop by! If you're referring to the canaries, they did not recieve any veg time, they were in 12/12 straight from seed. If you're referring to the Swt 13s, then I still can't answer, because they haven't been flowered yet :)

Here's where we are - The clone moms have recovered, somewhat, but are suffering from severe root bind. However, I cannot upgrade thier pots in my current arrangement, not enough space. I've cleared out 3 of them. One was an autoflowering male (shudder), and the 2 mini-mutants were passed off to a trusted friend to be raised outside - instincts served me well though, as one has since hermied.

I've got one canary left in the flowering room, maybe another week-10 days left on her. I'll admit, this one may be a keeper., I'm considering revegging her, these nuggs are dense and very very frosty. Sample buds have been rather more potent than one would expect from bagseed. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Here's what I'm thinking. Since I cannot keep the moms in veg and up the pot size, I'm thinking of going ahead and flowering them out. That'll solve my transplant issues. I have one particular plant I've been keeping my eye on, she's very very hardy and vigorous, continuing to thrive even with all the hardships. I'm thinking I'll keep her, and flower out the other four now. That'll leave me with one mom in the veg closet, and ample space to transplant her, and leave room for clones. That, of course, only solves my problem temporarily though. I'm just loathe to flower these out without cloning them though, but if I do clone them, that leaves me in the same situation 2 months from now.

The other option I've considered is just throwing the 4 moms outside, and keeping the one mom I know is female and is very hardy and vigorous.

Just not sure which path to take, but I've got to get my plant numbers down very soon, and I've got to make space in the veg room.

What do you guys think?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
if some of your mums could be dads, then logic dictates that you chuck the dads out to make space. cut a branch from each plant marking it and then put them into 12/12 after 2 to 3 weeks the branches will show sex for you to tell which mommas to get rid of as they are dadys lol.

the other thing is to cut your mommas right down and do a root trim too replaceing the cut off third off the bottom with fresh earth.

peace out

NiteTiger

Veteran
Hey Gaius - Yep, considered that. The only problem is that it, however short term, actually increases my plant count for 2-3 weeks. Normally, a non-issue, but in this situation, I need those plant counts heading in the opposite direction, immediately. A security threat has prompted this reorganization, and while I don't forsee a problem, I always try to err on the side of caution.

Unfortunately, as of last night, my plant count has decreased by one already. The flowering girl suddenly came up with spider mites, so was immediately harvested, leaving the flower room barren. And when I mean suddenly, I mean "Holy Shit, WTF did these things come from overnight???"

Of course, they did not come on overnight, and 20/20 hindsight shows me clues I overlooked. This is my first experience with them, and I'm actually rather pleased, because, once again, the canaries have done thier job, and taken the hit instead of the good genes. Now I've seen the enemy, and can engage :D

The flower room will be bombed, sprayed down with a water/bleach solution, cleaned, and resealed. The moms in the veg closet will recieve a full neem soak and water (Side note - Seems that watering with a neem solution is often overlooked, but IMHO it is an extremely valuable tool in the neem arsenal), and will be repeated twice a week the first 3-4 weeks of flower. If the neem doesn't seem to be doing the job, I will go all out and nuke the bastards before week 3 of flower.

As far as the moms, I'm going to the emergency standby - The four unknown potential mothers will be transplanted into 5 gallon buckets and put into flower ASAP. A cutting from each will be taken and labeled. If it roots, great, the genes are saved for reference. If not, que sera.

Basically, your plan in reverse Gaius, with the branch staying and the plant going :D

Mainly, because if they're going to survive, they've gotta get more rootspace, poor things are strangling themselves, and I can't do it in my veg room. I gotta solve that space problem, and make the veg room more mobile in case funds come available for me to make the transition into a permanent room.

Am I making any sense? I'm high on mite bud... :pointlaug

:badday:

:sasmokin:

NiteTiger

Veteran
So, I get back from vacation, and my watering plans have failed yet again. :badday:

You should see my poor plants - At first glance I just thought they were dead and gone, but closer inspection revealed very dehydrated plants STILL clinging to life.

"You said to be careful not to overwater them!" he says.

"See how long you make it on 10 days without water!" I say.

*sigh*

The upside is that the plants got the TLC they much deserved, and were replanted into 5 gallon pots, watered in with mucho water and food. Added a coupla different things to the mix this time. To my regular ferts I've added Cal-Mag Plus and a humic acid additive they gave me at the store (I LOVE going to the hydro store when the reps just paid a visit :D).

I added the Cal Mag because it seems a couple of the plants are battling a micro-nute def that may not be killing them, but they're not as vigorous as I'd like to see, and I think this'll solve it.

But, to wrap it up, after long last, the SWT 13s are in the flower room. I'll probably keep them on an 18/6 schedule for the next week or so to let them adjust to thier new home, then it's off to 12/12!

PS - Sorry about the lack of pics, I plan on running down the guy that borrowed my camera tonight. 2 months now...

NiteTiger

Veteran
Oh, and the room was thoroghly bombed and bleached as described before. And, unfortunately, I broke a cool tube doign my typical bull in a china shop routine, but that's no biggie, as I wasn't planning on going straight from 160w fluro to 2kw HPS :D

NiteTiger

Veteran
As always Gaius, a pleasure to have you in the thread :D

Glad to know you're still hanging on through this trainwreck LOL

NiteTiger

Veteran
Checked the girls this morning, and things couldn't be better. Well, they could, had the plants been cared for while I was gone, but we're beyond that now.

Went in this orning to see how the girls were doing, and they are looking great. They've perked right up, and put out new shoots. Nothing slows these plants down for long! Almost 2 weeks without water, almost dead? Doesn't even think twice, it says I've got water NOW, time to grow :)

In cleaning off dead foliage, I discovered that the one mutant I kept was a boy. He's not doing so hot. Well, he was recovering, right up until I ripped him from the pot :D

So, we're down to four soaking up thier new 1k HPS and nutes. I'm gonna give them a week to get settled in, then it's flip time!

NiteTiger

Veteran
Here's where we are today. The five remaining plants are looking good. Well, sort of. They look much, much better than they did before the transplant and move, but they still seem to be showing some deficiencies, as well as some leaf twisting.

Obviously, the leaf twisting indicates a PH problem, which would seem to be supported by the continuing deficiencies. Also, I used the Cal-Mag+ at label instructions, which, after researching further, seems to be ill advised, so I may very well be looking at an overfert issue which has locked out other nutes.

However, the problem is not widespread, and I'm leery of trying to correct any percieved problem yet, as the plants have yet to drain the initial feeding from the new containers. This leads me to believe the symptoms, localized as they are, may be holdover from thier earlier mistreatment.

I was hoping to switch them to 12/12 last night, but that plan has changed. I don't want the plants to begin flowering until they are completely healthy. The current plan now is to continue to montior the plants until they have drained the transplant feeding and are ready for another. If, at that time, they are still showing symptoms of PH problems and defs, I will flush them. However, I'm hoping that as the plants begin putting out more roots and adjust to the new pots , the problems will correct.

What it boils down to is this - these poor plants were on the verge of death when they were transplanted, and I think that over-nuturing now, before they've had a chance to fully recover and adjust to thier new homes, may do more harm than good, since, overall, they are much improved.

What do you guys think? Flush now, and risk overwatering, or just wait it out?

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
NiteTiger said:
What do you guys think? Flush now, and risk overwatering, or just wait it out?

imno plant doctor, im just here for the show! :lurk:

gl and glad to hear you got something goin again. i'll be by to chill :wave:

NiteTiger

Veteran
Two peices of news:

Got my camera back, and tonight the girls go 12/12. :woohoo:

The little one in the front is a branch that broke off the one behind and to the right of it. Had nothing else to do with it, so I stuck it in an extra pot I had lying around. Probably won't make it, but it's the best I could do.

As you can see, the girls are good sized, and have 5 gallon pots to grow into. Hopefully, we'll see them stretch to monstrous proportions :D

Stay tuned!

NiteTiger

Veteran
Here's where we're at today.

Everyone got a good flushing today, as my wishful thinking proved to be just that, and the girls continued to show signs of a slight PH problem, and nute burn. They've all been re-fed with a properly mixed and PH-adjusted solution.

Overall, they are doing fantastic, and I expect to see a huge explosion over the next week. The ladies are just beginning to show a response to the 12/12 schedule, so I feel that with the new nutes in place, we'll see the ladies begin thier stretch with a vengenence. I fully expect the plants to be 5-6 feet at the end of stretch :woohoo:

Stay tuned :)

PS - Regardless of your political beliefs or opinions as to the perpetrators of the attack of 9/11/01, I ask that you please take time to remember that 5 years ago today, nearly three thousand people died, and honor thier memory in some way.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hey again NiteTiger, its good to see the plants in pics again. now that you started 12/12 they will surely do well. specially after a flush and new nutes. if you say the symptoms stayed after the flush and new nutes, maybe the new nutes were mixed too strongly for their current needs?

i agree cal mag was probably a mistake. the number of times i've seen people in trouble cause of that shit being added at the wrong time....don't like it, lol. cannabis nutes are actually pretty complete and its often the dosage that is causing problems rather then the lack of any one nutrient. special because most cannabis nutrients have too high doses recommended on their bottles.

anyway cannabis is very adaptable on the whole and now in flowering they are sure to adapt quickly if necessary and flourish. i look forward to seeing it.

keep on keeping on bro.

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Veteran
Heya Gaius! Yeah, it's good to have the pics back :)

I do need to correct a miscommunication though.

They were just flushed and re-nuted last night. When I originally added the Cal-Mag+, I foolishly used it at the label recommended dosage, which is what I believe led to the burn. The new nute solution that was administered after the flush, still contains Cal-Mag, but at a more reasonable half dosage. Before the addition of the Cal-Mag, the plants were showing a picture perfect calcium def, which is why I brought it into play in the first place. After the first shot of high dose CalMag solution, the calcium def cleared right up, but burned my poor babies.

The PH problem was a no brainer to figure out. Given a free sample of a humic acid supp, I added it to my solution, but stupidly failed to adjust for the lower PH that adding acid would cause. Duh me... :pointlaug

The lesson to gleaned here is that mixing a new nute formulation between bongloads is not conducive to healthy plants.

So now they have recieved properly supplemented and PH adjusted nutes after having the poorly mixed solution flushed from thier pots.

I should note here, for anyone following this grow to learn about the SWT13 line, that these plants took it all in stride. The SWT13 like to feed heavily. I've read of other strains that have gotten a full dose of Cal-Mag, and not survived the experience. With the SWT13, the excess nutes did cause a burn, but a very very slow one. I really did have to wait all this time to be sure that they were indeed burning. Couple that with a PH that was hovering near 5, and I'm really impressed with how hardy these genes are. The PH caused just a faint twisting to a very few leaves. Like I said, this combo would have easily killed off another strain, from what I've heard. The SWT 13 actually thrived in these conditions. Do I really even need to point out that what you see in these pics was, just a couple of weeks ago, brown, shriveled (and I was sure, dead) plants? Need I say more?

Now, I hope you can all understand my enthusiasm for the coming week. They've thrived through a staggeringly low PH while recieving poisonous amounts of nutes - How can I not expect stupendous things now that things are properly adjusted? :D

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Veteran
What difference can a day make?

Oh, 'bout 2-3 inches :D

I love it when a plan comes together :woohoo:

Check out the difference a day makes for yourself:

Threw that ruler shot in there so that we can comeback and reference it in a day or two. Plants are looking fabulous, and at already 26-30 inches, I'd say my estimates of height are about dead on.

If we get a double in height, I'll have a jungle full of 5ft beautys. If she triples on me, I'm looking at 7.5 foot monsters. If I had to lay money on it, I'd say I'm looking at about 6 ft. when stretch is all said and done. Anyone want to start a pool? :D

BTW, these measurements don't include the pots, measurements were taken from the top of the soil.

To recap and catch up any late joiners, we're 4 days into 12/12 on a 60ish day strain, and things have gotten dialed in and we are clear for launch :D

Begin looking for more frequent updates, as in daily to 3 days between updates. We've finally hit the feature presentation, and it looks like it's gonna be a reat show :joint:

Til next time :wave:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Nice one Nite Tiger, if things keep on like this they are gonna be huge!

isn't it amazing what a day can do? they are starting to shine with health.

keep up the good work man.

gm

NiteTiger

Veteran
Day 6 12/12

Got a confirmed girl! It's the one Front-right

Remember or little 'Do or Die' Accidental Clone? Looks like it's decided to 'Do' :D If that doesn't tell you something about cloning be as complicated as you make it, I dunno what will :)

Here's the current lights on conditions in the room, since we've added the A/C. For reference, all the mess you see behind the plants was from the installing of the A/C, I'm not usually quite that messy :D

Til next time! :wave:

NiteTiger

Veteran
Day 9 of 12/12, and it looks as if all are young ladies. :woohoo:

The only one I'm a bit unsure of is the one in the front left. We'll know soon though. Planning on taking cuts of all of them next week, to preserve the genes., so that a proper mother selection can be done. I'll admit, I've already got my eye on one though. The one in the back right is showing fabulous growth, and is not at all shy about putting out some branches. If she follows this up with good flowers....Well, I have high hopes :D

The overall plans look like this:

Each of the plants has been marked, and as I said, cuttings will be taken from each next week. Cuttings from the reserve mom still in the veg room will be taken about a week later, in preperation for moving into the flower room the first couple of weeks in October.

The plants currently in flower should be ready for harvest the last week of October or first week of November. Counting from the start of 12/12 gives a 60 day harvest date of Nov. 8th/9th (my lights on overlaps midnight, so I sometimes get a day off on dates). Now, if you've been following this thread, you know I don't go by dates, I go by the trichs, so there's obviously a window.

They will also be stagger harvested, so I can sample the buds at different maturities, to better learn the strain. Rest assured, there will be treats for daddy on Halloween, even if it's only a tester :D

Out of these plants, the clone of the best will be kept as a mom, and a sample of the bud of the chosen mom will be saved. This way, when the clones from the reserve mom come in around early December, we can compare the two. Out of those two, obviously one will be chosen as the best, and the other scrapped.

So, in the coming months, you'll see the establishment of a perpetual grow and the selection of the top mom. Once the top mom is chosen and in 30 day harvest perpetual rotation, we'll pop some of the sativa seeds and make our selection there. The overall goal is to have both a Sativa and Indica in perpetual rotation.

Enough babbling, on with the pics!

Group Shot! Forgot the tape measure this time, but the stepstool in the back ought to give you some general idea of height.

Here's a shot of a fan leaf to give you a better idea of color and size. Obviously, the girls are doing great :smile:

Oh, and to add a little fun and stress into the mix, let's throw in the possibility of a move in the middle of all this :pointlaug It'll be a good thing though, as if we move, it'll be because we've purchased.

NiteTiger

Veteran
Day 13 of 12/12, and budding has begun in force :woohoo:

Clones will be taken tomorrow.

Pics!