What's new

Come and show off those worm bins!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Were either of you using any Lacto cultures on your food wastes? I notice a much quicker turn around when the digesting bin has lacto added to each layer during assembly.

in the past i've used kashi bucket solid parts in my worm bins as well as the plant parts left over after fermented plant extract, after separating liquids and solids the solids would all go in the worm bin.
they didn't seem to mind at all
altho i've heard of all that lactic acid (maybe some acetic also?)could cause a ph swing in worm beds that could be bad for worms... not in my exp, but my bins were large (100+ gallon) and i was only adding 5-8(max) gallons at a time

NWNR

nwnr---

if youre feeding your worms kitchen scraps you will notice fruits and veggies are comprised of mostly water.

removing some of that moisture before adding to your bin will improve the moisture levels, which will in turn improve the metabolic and reproductive rates of your worms.

the fastest path to a healthy worm bin and excellent castings IME has been to feed my worms compost rather than raw plant material. get a compost tumbler and process your kitchen & garden waste in there first, then use that to feed the worms, and youll find the bins pretty much take care of themselves.

I agree and actually got a tumbler last week. I had a huge 5x5x3 compost for a couple years but had to disperse it due to landscaping changes. I don't currently have ready compost, so while the tumbler does its thing I am feeding scraps. Moisture is actually decent right now after removing the inner bedding cover and adding 500 european night crawlers for aeration. I think the fact that the bedding is mostly mulched brown leaves helps it from getting soggy like paper would.

Would you go as far as to recommend something else like manure or even buying compost to feed? I think for a few months before my own compost is ready it should be fine.

Here is a pic of my bedding. I've learned to leave the mushies for the compost bin :biglaugh:

Attachments

• 20161214_180813.jpg
    20161214_180813.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 14

Latest posts

Latest posts