What's new

Come and show off those worm bins!

Sumbolt

Hello, I'm a big fan of vermicomposting and I noticed theres no thread where every one can put up pictures of their home made and store bought bins. I know theres some amazing and creative bins out there and if you want to show off your green powers drop your pics off here :jump:

Heres my worm bin, it's small but its an upward migration bin so when I have a good juicy layer of castings I'll stop putting food in the bin, and put bedding and food in another crate that has a open grid on the bottom, then i'll stack it on my crate with the worms and castings. After a little while the worms will migrate into the crate with food and I can pop the bottom crate out and harvest my worm castings with out losing any worms. :)

My bin with worms in it making them castings!
picture.php

This is the crate I will use to fill with bedding and food for upward migration.

picture.php

Look forward to seeing every one else's bin :p

G

greenmatter

i have the same bin and it works great ... how many trays came with your kit? if you are new to the castings thing worming 101 is a good read

pinecone

Sativa Tamer
Veteran
i have the same bin and it works great ... how many trays came with your kit? if you are new to the castings thing worming 101 is a good read

My compost pile is not accessible in the winter. I was thinking of getting one of these fabricated worm bins to deal kitchen scraps so I don't have to throw them out, but I am concerned about gnats. Do these things keep the gnats out?

Pine

G

greenmatter

My compost pile is not accessible in the winter. I was thinking of getting one of these fabricated worm bins to deal kitchen scraps so I don't have to throw them out, but I am concerned about gnats. Do these things keep the gnats out?

Pine

i have never had a problem with gnats and to be honest i don't know why. my bin is in the garage (heated) so that my be it, not much else alive in there. i have read that predatory nematodes will knock them down in a bin and i feed them enough unfinished compost and leaf mold that i may have imported them without knowing it. with all the juicy stuff in the compost piles i rarely see any gnats out there. dunno, wish i could tell you more.

SneakySneaky

Veteran
great idea.....i had my copy of "worms eat my garbage" by mary applehof by my side. einstein said that there wasnt a single bit of soil that hadnt at 1 time or another been thru a worm. vermicomposting rulz

G

greenmatter

great idea.....i had my copy of "worms eat my garbage" by mary applehof by my side. einstein said that there wasnt a single bit of soil that hadnt at 1 time or another been thru a worm. vermicomposting rulz

that book is a must read for wormers .... there are several bins on the market that come with a copy of that book included.

albert e. was smart enough to know we are now and always will be in a closed system. mother nature has be recycling since day 1 .... help her out a little and she will reward you for it. the world would be lots greener if 2 out 3 people had a worm bin. worm poo is the OG miracle grow .....

Okay, where are more pictures of your worm bins?? I have a little worm bin. I'll take pics once it gets light outside and post in a few hours...

I especially want to see the home made ones. I like to see the different designs. I think Stankie made a real nice one out of a large garbage can. I hope he shows up and posts.

Sumbolt

I love worms eat my garbage, that book is what first got me started :). my worm bin came with a total of 3 crates green matter. :)

woo nice homemade worm bin cheeze! is that a nug in the bottom left corner? :p

Scrappy4

Veteran
I just have the tubs too, sans the top holes. It seems to work fairly well. I started out last summer with bait worms, the red wigglers, maybe 15 dozen or there about, so the population is still growing, but feeding bakashi really stepped up the worm numbers and worm poo. I see hundreds of thread like babies when I open the lid. And now I'm seeing other bugs, like wood bugs, so it's like it's own little Eco system going on in the tubs.

Unfortunately the bins are under the house in the crawl space for the winter, and I only see them once or twice a month. Fortunately, I have been able to get a couple of handfuls of castings for making teas, and maybe it's me, but the plants really like those teas....scrappy

Scrappy, those thread lie babies may be pot worms, not red wigglers....Not that it's a huge deal if they get into your grow pots, but they are pretty prolific. They tend to like bread and grain/flour.

I'm getting ready to make some stackable trays using 2x6 lumber and some 1/4" mesh screen for the bottoms.
I'll take some pics when it's done.

Here's my little worm bin. It's a "flow through" type, where there is a nylon rope tightly strung across the bottom every three inches to hold the vermicastings. When fully loaded it will hold about 1 1/3 cubic yards of material. To harvest, I open the trap door at the bottom and use a small rake to coax the castings through the ropes. It falls on the concrete and I rake it out. If I want to get fancy, I put it through a 1/4" mesh sieve that is 2' X 4'.

Attachments

• Worm Bin 1.jpg
    Worm Bin 1.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Worm Bin II.jpg
    Worm Bin II.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 12

tr1ck_

I have been really meaning to get a worm bin going for a while. The plan is to keep a small one in the kitchen, and hopefully get a larger one going outside.

At first I figured I would just build them, but now I am leaning towards getting a commercially built one for the kitcken (hoping it may smell a bit less and look better) and then build the outside one.

Does anyone have any tips or info that has used both a homemade rubbermaid, as well as one of the prebuilt ones, like a worm factory 360?

G

greenmatter

Here's my little worm bin. It's a "flow through" type, where there is a nylon rope tightly strung across the bottom every three inches to hold the vermicastings. When fully loaded it will hold about 1 1/3 cubic yards of material. To harvest, I open the trap door at the bottom and use a small rake to coax the castings through the ropes. It falls on the concrete and I rake it out. If I want to get fancy, I put it through a 1/4" mesh sieve that is 2' X 4'.

tell us more killa. i want to build a large outdoor bin but my outdoor temps range from -20 to +110. have you already thought your way around all these corners? would love to hear any of your hands on knowledge. could you post a picture of the bottom of your bin? how does a rope strung on three inch centers hold all that in? i am missing something .... please help me out.