What's new

Colorado Growers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHBGuy

Yea I am a new yorker so that's going to be strange. Politeness always throws me off when I am out in the midwest... it feels like people are fucking with me haha

It starts to rub off on you after a while. Don't worry about it, you'll be swapping cannabutter recipes in the grocery aisle at King Soopers in no time. :laughing:

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Yea I am a new yorker so that's going to be strange. Politeness always throws me off when I am out in the midwest... it feels like people are fucking with me haha

Any of you guys rock a green house?
LOL If they understand you the first time..... they are probably a transplant too...... and May Be 'fucking with you'. :laughing:

There are a bunch of N'Yorkers out here already.

Also be aware; If you refer to this as the Midwest.... nope this is the West. You will confuse people.

As far as the GH. I've not done a 'real' one, but the little shed I've used, showed me one thing. Design all the Natural ventilation you can, and then add some more. It gets hot this close to the 'big bulb'. (I am at 7500' in the GH/shed). Done right it certainly is an economical way to grow.

I got a few ounces off 4 plants this summer. Figure I'm into it about $1.10-$1.20 per ounce. Did DWC with an airstone. Think that covers some nutes and the operation of the aquarium air pump. Since I seem to work for free these days. lol

2 Legal Co

Veteran
The 'Growing in Greenhouses' section, here on ICMag is a bit slow. I started a thread over there asking for stats on what works, but no answers yet.

If everything goes right, I'm looking to run a simple set up in a converted Carport 10' x 20', with the peak at 9.5'. Think I'll plan on leaving the 'gable ends' open... well maybe some screening to deter the rain and OMG hail.

So I'm looking for some experienced replies too.

Jhhnn

Veteran
While we've had some nasty winters, Denver really has about as mild a 4 season climate as there is. Not much spring- it transitions from winter to summer pretty fast. Last winter was mild with a couple of cold snaps, no heavy snowfalls. A few inches of snow, then sun & melt, mostly sun until the next storm. Last couple of summers seemed wetter, actually a good thing.

Never lived in the 'burbs- 40+ years in the City & County of Denver, 20+ in the Baker neighborhood. We like the vibe. Unlike a lot of Cities, Denver has always found a way to renew itself, prevent the rot at the urban core seen in many places. It's a nice place to live.

I uploaded some pics of the new space to my albums. I'm a lousy photographer. I built a 4x4 foamboard enclosure when A64 passed, which was right in the middle of my workshop, but it was awkward & temporary. Then I started getting a whiff of sewer gas sometimes... There was a section of cast iron going through the wall, & it was cracked... & the workbench in the pics was built in over it, & the whole thing was gridlocked by the grow enclosure & 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb box. Tear it out, throw away half of it, fix the sewer, start over. Relocate some electrical, some cold water, phone junction, cable junction, ducting & so forth... bring in a 30A sub panel & controller, frame it, reconstruct the workbench, more electrical, lots of mortar mix, sheet rock, mud, miniature antique door (a find at the Habitat store), primer & paint. It took 3 times as long & cost twice what I anticipated, but it's working as intended. It's slightly larger, than before, 46" x 56" at the floor, 55w/sq ft.

There's a plenum starting behind the workbench that's also a light trap. Cool air enters below the sewer pipe & workbench, exploiting the stone wall to keep it cool. Up through the light or into the space. Air from the space itself goes back into the room through a filter & fan, but air through the reflector is handled differently. It needs/ has no scrubber to get max air flow. I used a Y connector & 2 more fans on the outlet side w/ backdraft preventers so that one fan sends the warm air up into the house in the winter & the other will send it outside through an existing vent in the summer. I'll just plug in one or the other, depending, and it'll pull the backdraft preventer closed for the other one not being used. Venting for summer is just capped off for now, but I intend a 6" Vortex because of the longer run & flow restriction of the vent. The Staco 201 variac in the grey box lets me control fan speed for noise & effect. The winter fan is dialed down to 70% because of noise. Temp rise through the light is 20F, but through the enclosure is only 10F, holding at 78F with the light on. It goes down to room ambient at night. Using the stone corner's thermal properties seems to help, as was my intention.

I just wanted something durable that would work very well with a minimum of bother, something easy to use & maintain, something with enough height (73" reflector to floor) to accommodate a natural grow style. Getting there has been another matter entirely.

So now it's time to grow something, right? Halloween, I started 6 Rishi Kush, the wife's fave, & 6 No Mercy Special. They all germed, & there are 12 little seedlings which I'll thin to the best 6 females or however many I get when I induce flowering. The No Mercy genetics intrigue me for some reason, maybe just because they're different, so I'm gonna find out.

KiefSweat

Veteran
run basic hoop houses and have had friends with the cheap harbor freight greenhouses in the back yard that work great. Get some panda film on a 12-20 foot hoop and start force flowering early may.

and i guess its not the biggest issue since there different types of mildew but certian neighborhoods around the city are just loaded with pm all over the trees and grass, certain times of the year i get itchy just looking at it

Jhhnn

Veteran
run basic hoop houses and have had friends with the cheap harbor freight greenhouses in the back yard that work great. Get some panda film on a 12-20 foot hoop and start force flowering early may.

and i guess its not the biggest issue since there different types of mildew but certian neighborhoods around the city are just loaded with pm all over the trees and grass, certain times of the year i get itchy just looking at it

We had a terrible time last year with PM in the garden late Aug & Sept because it was unusually wet & humid. It annihilated the melons. Store bought melons are a pale comparison to what comes out of our garden (when it goes well) particularly honeydew. They're to die for. This year it was aphids. The wife wouldn't let me spray cuz it'd kill the ladybugs... so we had lots of aphids, lots of ladybugs & damned few melons...

Love is the damndest thing...

wordsux

damn, just re-read the laws... only 3 plants in flower huh...

guess staying 100% legal just went right out the window

:laughing::biglaugh:

But I guess as long as you don't get stupid no ones going to bother you

2 Legal Co

Veteran
damn, just re-read the laws... only 3 plants in flower huh...

guess staying 100% legal just went right out the window

:laughing::biglaugh:

But I guess as long as you don't get stupid no ones going to bother you
Maybe get a card and 'extended plant counts'.

I have friends who 'juice' and have recommendation for 26 apiece.

But yes it's tough to abide by the 'recreational' numbers.

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
As long as you
1) Stay at a decent wattage
2) Don't sell larger quantities
3) Have a locked room
4) own a carbon filter
and
5) Know your rights

…then you will never be bothered for having 50 plants and 3,000watts because no one will ever find out if you don't want them to.

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
from 65-70F to 15-20F. I been here my whole life, do love it, but whatever happened to fall? Just summer and winter now it seems.

Jhhnn

Veteran
from 65-70F to 15-20F. I been here my whole life, do love it, but whatever happened to fall? Just summer and winter now it seems.

Some years are that way- this one, obviously. It was 62F at 10:00, blue sky, and now at 1:30 it's 27F, overcast, threatening snow. A big gust of wind hit the house ~10:30, bringing in winter.

Greetings from the Great White North!

MHBGuy

Repotted a couple plants when it was in the 60s this morning :) Glad I didn't wait for it to warm up, been driving around in flurries since noon!

wordsux

yea that is the only thing i will miss about the weather in the north east...

seriously september and october are just magical in the north east. these past two months made me second guess moving but now its november so its just wet and cold...

peace north east! it was real, it was fun, but its wasn't real fun!!!!

barnyard

pipe check...

pipe check...

dry as a bone thanks to Pachamama.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts