What's new

Colorado Growers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
It's not a cure all by any means!!! But it wipes out the reall shitty ones. True fungus gnats, thrips it just slows down. But in all reality, fungus gnats are only a nuisance, more a symptom of other possible issues.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
If this discussion occured because someone has root aphids in an organic situation.. I'd recommend a combination of Botanigard (fungus), Aphidoletes aphidimyza (predatory midge) - Hippodamia convergens (ladybug) - and once populations seem eradicated you'd use Steinernematid / Heterorhabditis Mix (predator nematodes)... the nematodes will eliminate the midges,so use em last. Green lacewings are also an option, however... once the lacewing reaches adult form, it feeds on nectar/pollen... probably wont reproduce on its own indoors, but the larvae stage of the lacewing is an aphid lion....

MrGoodBudz

Veteran
I think RA is locational as well. I'm as close and far from metro in foothills no RA or mites outside or inside here. Friend grower in Mtns. has never seen a mite or aphid of any sort in person. He also very very rarely accepts or deals with new strains.

MrGoodBudz

Veteran
isopropyl kills everything..... i've never root fed it, but dilluted in h2o (one oz per gal) kills the shit out of anything crawling on my leaves. had some thrips last season (spinosad for the kill)

a few spiders in veg this round....
iso'd them, neemed them, ogbiowared them...

still knockin on wood over here for no RA's
altho 2 inches of sand on top of soil should kill them, right.....

2" of sand...? Any follow up for Miles ^ interested in the theory behind that myself.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
DE also works till it gets too wet. ( for suffocation and blocking access... not as a cure... drain holes are always suspect as escape routes)

Lesterburnum

They say the DE and sand is too sharp for the gnats and it rips them apart.
Speaking on the damn RA, I have never had them until about a month ago. ogbio warred them and azamax to no avail. Finally the pyrintheum took them out.
Mites and fungus gnats are almost constant. But the best defense is a good offense.
and yeah Seafor those damn drain holes will always be their best front and back door if you use the DE.

homebrew420

Wanted to tell everyone here we grew out an R4 seedling, dubbed R14er, @21.39 cbd and .91 thc. Tested at Steep Hill Halent labs in Denver.

R

recent guest

Sorry to interrupt but Im going to drop off a couple flower pics

Destroyer x Malawi 100% sativa

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

JohnnyATL

Veteran
Anyone doing any outdoor this summer at 9-10k feet? autoflowers, crazy indica?? trying to figure out my outdoor set up this summer but its pretty high up

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Anyone doing any outdoor this summer at 9-10k feet? autoflowers, crazy indica?? trying to figure out my outdoor set up this summer but its pretty high up

Pop beans now if you haven't already! I know we've rapped about CO locations at elevation but I can't quite remember the general area where you said you were but most of the high country is the same. You could probably go either direction with the autos or the indicas but make sure the flower time is short of course. Veg them as big as you can right now before going outside. Hopefully you will have some kind of greenhouse/hoophouse or something to at least somewhat protect them from the elements should the weather decide to get cold/windy/frosty. I know that Park county might not get much snow but holy shit can it get windy. Same goes for Grand county too. Whatever you have will need to be done by late September if possible with mid to late October being the latest - again hopefully in a greenhouse type setup where you can shelter them from the elements and maybe throw a heater in there if necessary/possible.

As far as strains you could maybe run out some heavier leaning or pure kush strains or better yet some quick flowering afghanis. I hope I helped and didn't preach to the choir too much. If you have any more questions let me know. I've never personally grown outdoor at that altitude but seen it done. I've also traveled extensively throughout the Colorado high country and have a really good feel for the weather in all the different areas.

:yes:

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Johnny, I forgot to mention about elk and mule deer too. Mule deer can be all over the place in some areas. No doubt some elk or deer could really do a number on a garden if the proper precautions weren't taken either. Try and rig up some make shift fence possibly and spread around some kind of predator's piss around your site. Possibly different kinds of hair too to make sure your territory is claimed. I know I've seen different kinds of bottled piss that you can spread around at farm/ag stores. I saw your location comment, beautiful area.

Jhhnn

Veteran

Never done it up high like that, but the season is very short & the nights cold year round. Short flowering indicas might work, maybe Taskenti because it comes from the same latitude as CO or any Spanish outdoor for the same reason. Or outdoor Canadian genetics. Your best bet is probably autoflowers- Start 'em indoors or in a cold frame late May, harden them off with some real sunshine early June, transplant outdoors mid June. They'll be done before Sept 1. I wouldn't expect much in the way of yield however you do it, particularly Guerrilla style. The environment is quite lean in terms of energy & nutrients, even water some places.

I grew outdoors last year, though on the bedroom porch, not in ground. The problem was with finishing. It is reduced daylight hours that trigger maturation and enhance finishing, and my plants were not finished by first frost.

I used two schemes to finish the plants. I had two differently timed sets of plants. The earlier ones I started taking inside daily in a dark room in late July/early August for 12/12 day night, and they finished well.

The later set of plants were huge and I could not handle carrying them in and out, so when first frost was coming, I moved then indoors once with help from a friend and finished under HPS. They did not finish well. They had huge well developed buds but trichs never turned much from clear. The resulting weed for me is way too racy.

The other problem was thunderstorms. Though I had the plants predominately under the house eaves so they were partly protected, the associated downpours, wind and some hail caught some of the branches and snapped them. Despite trying to splint them, they never recovered.

I can't see any non-autos finishing up here before frost... 9300'

MrGoodBudz

Veteran
I made a great decision to grow a white dawg outside last year. I had it in a 15gal coco pot I was feeding every day to every other she was only 5ft tall but yielded over 2lbs dry. She started flowering strangely in mid July where as my golden goat should not have been outside! Golden goat didn't start flowering until nearly mid August. By the time we got our first snow I was out there chopping down the goat. Looked like she had 3 more weeks to go at that point. I will be running the white dawg again this summer.

picture.php

I did 3 Skunk Berry plants outdoors in 10 gallon Smart Pots last summer with great results
SB is a early finisher and I could bring them in on nights that were below freezing.
Locked, fenced yards and all 3 neighbors next to us were growing too.
We are only at 5092 ft though

S

SooperSmurph

Crazy high elevations are restricted mostly by their short growing season, not to mention that most of said growing season is concentrated in the summer months when most outdoor is still in late veg / early flower, as others have said, autoflowers are probably the way to go, there are a few good auto breeders with the bou, but as always, do searches, check reviews.

Royal Tenenbaums last night and tonight at the Esquire on 6th at Midnight, Ben Stiller before he was a comedy genre Tom Cruise :p

Dunno if i'm going, but hope the nerdy goodness is of interest to someone :)

If you're looking for the midnight movie schedule, you'll have to hit up their facebook, the main website just displays their day and evening showings of indie / award show fare.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

Veteran
I made a great decision to grow a white dawg outside last year. I had it in a 15gal coco pot I was feeding every day to every other she was only 5ft tall but yielded over 2lbs dry. She started flowering strangely in mid July where as my golden goat should not have been outside! Golden goat didn't start flowering until nearly mid August. By the time we got our first snow I was out there chopping down the goat. Looked like she had 3 more weeks to go at that point. I will be running the white dawg again this summer.

Early flowering strains like that are referred to as "semi-autoflowering". It's not about day length per se, but rather about the day length getting shorter, regardless of how long it was when it started getting shorter. 16 hrs to 15 hrs gives the same reaction as 13 hrs to 12 hrs. It's a highly desirable trait for short season growers in mid to high latitudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts