What's new

Colorado Growers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I've definitely seen a drop in quality.... flushing... curing....just an overall drop..... I expect it'll get a lot worse come january....

I've been talking with a smaller established med grower to see if there's a place for me in the business, if my capital infusion & work will do us both some good.

If their product is much indication, there's still some very good stuff available, if you can find it. They have their groove goin', haven't really changed a thing in years. The way they put it, their established customers always want more, that there's never enough product. They want to stay at the top of their buyers' preferences, however, and they're willing to keep their standards up to stay there.

Retail won't make that any better, at first. As the market develops, we'll probably see customers becoming more discriminating, willing to see what the competitors offer. Those who keep the best stuff on the shelves will attract a certain clientele, because there's always room at the top. They'll probably develop phone lists & email lists to keep regulars informed as to what's new, even use "notify me when it's back in stock" software like seed vendors. They'll develop relationships with their niche growers. People willing to pay top dollar for top quality will probably have it better than ever in the long run. People who just want the equivalent of Bud Lite will find that even easier to come by.

It'll be much the same as buying anything else once the market settles down, I think.

J

Johnny Redthumb

Demand for real quality can only increase as the consumer base begins to get more educated. People learnin' 'bout what they smokin'. I see lots of people here fed up with shop-quality. Some shops that get the quality down are gonna dominate, but no matter what, at that large of a scale of grow that the dispensaries have, there is NO WAY to NOT spray horrible chemicals on everything. So even if it tastes good, smells good, and looks good, there is still a very high possibility of it being poisoned. I think more people are realizing this...

Still, I think there is gonna be another few years of money grabs before things even out...If you are a small time guy, you should be focusing on quality, cleanliness, scalability, and keeping your nose clean...and there should be a place for you in this biz in 5 years.

Lesterburnum

I have seen nothing but lower quality. And yeah med is way better than dispensary. It's not just curing, flushing or tea. It's they can't read plants. IMHO.

A

AlterEgo860

there money hungry bro.. its more about yield. then quality.. so when pheno hunting.. say u got 1 2 3 4.. 1 is huge yielder .. ok quality.. 2 is small yield .. great quality.. 3 is good yield ok quality.. 4 is tiny yielder .. but amazing buds..

they are going to grow 1 and 3 . and toss the rest.. especially if growing with plant NUMBERS,, u want the plants to produce as many ozs as possible.

MrDank

Veteran
I'm particularly satisfied to see the shops who supported Vertical Integration have bad product on their shelves

ceosam

Just a word about med vs. rec... I went to one of the local dispensaries and this one even has "organic" in it's name... well I tried some deadhead OG and few days after I had an allergic reaction to it my face puffed up and got red, my eyes were almost completely closed from the swelling. Went to the doc and he said more than likely it was the med shops herb.. Just started laughing because this stuff is supposed to be medical right? Nothing like this has ever happened to me even in the days of smoking mexy shwag as a kid.. btw still have that nasty shit sitting in a jar waiting to be tested to see what exactly they are spraying on it to give it that affect.. I will post what I find.. doc says just smoke your home grown :)

allergic reactions dont come "a few days later". he said it was from the med shops herb? unlikely he came up with that diagnoses on his own

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
picture.php

:yeahthats:

E

Eureka Springs Organics

Been in about 50 shops the last few weeks, and I am surprised how many are not going recreational.

Doesn't make much cents. Pun/mispelling intentional

The quality seems to come second. Yields, and turn around rule the day. I have smelled a lot of "green" buds. I am surprised at why anyone would spend money on something that has literally just been dried.

If you can grow just kind of ok, but will cure for 3 months, you can be better than 90% of whats out there.

It's not like there are super dank nugs falling out of the sky here in Denver. They need to put that shit in the Commercials. :)

Jbomber79

Veteran
The next morning when I awoke Asshole! That's when it became noticeable, a few days later the puffy action set in... Are you claiming to be a doctor? or a troll?

allergic reactions dont come "a few days later". he said it was from the med shops herb? unlikely he came up with that diagnoses on his own

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been in about 50 shops the last few weeks, and I am surprised how many are not going recreational.

Doesn't make much cents. Pun/mispelling intentional

The quality seems to come second. Yields, and turn around rule the day. I have smelled a lot of "green" buds. I am surprised at why anyone would spend money on something that has literally just been dried.

If you can grow just kind of ok, but will cure for 3 months, you can be better than 90% of whats out there.

It's not like there are super dank nugs falling out of the sky here in Denver. They need to put that shit in the Commercials. :)

y'all have to remember that re-licensing from medical to recreationsal costs MONEY and not just a lil bit.... the dispensary game is VERY high competition right now, with prices been dropping it's hard for many dispanearies to get in the rec. game.... they are lucky to be still open at all, let alone stepping up their game to go recreational AS SOON AS REC STARTS....

also
a full understanding of the nature of vertical integration makes things rather clear.....

ANYONE with a medical licesnse gets first crack at getting the rec licesnses untill 2016....
that means NOONE can get a chance to get a rec lisence untill after 2016.... UNLESS they had a medical lisence BEFORE jan 1 2014.

does that clear things up a lil bit?

E

Eureka Springs Organics

Doesn't clear anything up. The number 1 reason I have heard of why a shop is not switching over is the sales tax. Second is the Fed's.

I think it is a big mistake to not switch over.

None of that speaks to the fact that a lot places don't grow long enough, and they damn sure are not curing. Strain selection, or lack there of seems to be an issue as well.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Doesn't clear anything up. The number 1 reason I have heard of why a shop is not switching over is the sales tax. Second is the Fed's.

I think it is a big mistake to not switch over.

None of that speaks to the fact that a lot places don't grow long enough, and they damn sure are not curing. Strain selection, or lack there of seems to be an issue as well.

ya, that's funny
the number one reason you have heard.
the number one reason is the truth, and the truth hurts and owners/workers aren't giving the truth: that they dont have the money or resources to go rec immediately.
sales tax and feds are two really good excuses tho....
you gotta think,
not only does it take money, but medical dispensaries have to up production big time to suppl the damnd of recreational...
plus, medical dispensaries are obliged to their PATIENTS primarily, they can't sell all their herb to tourists and have NOTHING for the patients who have signed over their caregiving rights to the dispensary.... only to be told their meds were all sold to tourists and the re. market...
im REALLY hoping this is starting to make sense.
it takes funds plus increased production to enter the rec game... only the guys really pulling down profits (or next level investors) are jumpinginto recreational right away!!

there is a thread called "retail?" where we've been discussing shops opening in colorado, who is and where, some good info i put in that thread, go checkitout if you are interested.

i agree its a mistake not to go rec asap... money to be made, but it takes money to make money.

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran

exactly my point
you cant sell what you can't grow, whether it be quality or qunatity...
just like you cant buy what you can't pay for (licensing).

E

Eureka Springs Organics

The only reason you could not grow, quality, or quantity is the growers. Not the store owners. I am finding a major disconnect between the growers, and the owners. A lot of trust is being put on the growers, and the owners don't usually know enough to know any better than what they are told by their grower. So if your grower is just ok the owner wouldn't necessarily know it.

I still don't get your point. Maximize your growing, and you can produce enough to set aside to cure for 3 months. Most stores are not slammed with customers. I can only think of one that literally will have lines of people waiting.

The yields, or lack there of, is what is driving the stores to turn product over faster than they should be. That and the need to pay the bills. :)

I will say there are a lot of great people at the stores in Denver. I have met so many nice down to earth folks that sometimes I wonder if it is all fake. :)

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only reason you could not grow, quality, or quantity is the growers. Not the store owners. I am finding a major disconnect between the growers, and the owners. A lot of trust is being put on the growers, and the owners don't usually know enough to know any better than what they are told by their grower. So if your grower is just ok the owner wouldn't necessarily know it.

I still don't get your point. Maximize your growing, and you can produce enough to set aside to cure for 3 months. Most stores are not slammed with customers. I can only think of one that literally will have lines of people waiting.

The yields, or lack there of, is what is driving the stores to turn product over faster than they should be. That and the need to pay the bills. :)

I will say there are a lot of great people at the stores in Denver. I have met so many nice down to earth folks that sometimes I wonder if it is all fake. :)

really?

Once again, I partly agree, YES; there is a disconnect between owners and growers, BUT if an owner doesn't know their product is garbage, thats on management and the owner... it isn't hard to go into other shops and compare quality of your competition... really NOT hard.

BUT

Even if your grower is growing top top top quality and yielding out like a champ; there is a chance that a large part that product is going to patients who have signed over their caregiving rights to the dispensary... and dispensaries generally go by the 6 plants per patient rule.

Understand that dispensaries grow what they legally are allowed depending on the number of patients they have, thus their production is tied to patient counts, not just the quality of the grower.
So legally they are bound by plant limits... not just up to the grower how much gets grown!

ALSO

Not all dispensaries are making $$ hand over fist out here (at least the kind of money that it would require to re-license for rec. AND enough money on top of that to up production to meet the demand of recreational). Like you said, not common to see a dispensry with a line out the door.. competition is thick between dispensaries... if you don't have a BIG name for yourelf, you can't really charge high end prices (in my experience the big name shops charge more, where sometimes smaller places have the same quality for lower price, sometimes even higher quality lower price at smaller shops with no "hype")
altho
I've been to several dispensaries lately with lines to get in... not to say that's typical but: cannabis for health on pearl had a line out the door, so did platte valley a couple months back when i strolled thru, riv.rock on santa fe is crowded certain times... busy location.

I will repeat that a dispensary cannot sell ALL the herb they want to recreational market, they MUST hold back enough at least for their official medical patients and really should hold back enough for red card patients... because those are the patients who will not be paying the extra sales tax, that's for REC weed.

On top of that understand that nobody knows for sure WHAT this rec. market will bring.... like how many peeps and how many dollars are going to flow how quickly into rec market shops.
Also, lets revisit the concept that dispensaries dont have to RUSH into the rec. market... the laws are setup so that only those with a MED license on or before jan. 1014 is able to get their med license untill 2016, and NOONE else is able to until then.

IF a dispensary is not making PROFITS hand over fist they simply cannot afford to simultaneously re-license for recreatoinal AND increase productoin to accomodate the supply for rec. without lowering what is available to official medical patients. And its obvious that many many dispensaries are NOT making the kind of capitol it takes to expand into REC, especially since the legislation has been written to allow the medical industry to evolve into recreational dual use spots before allowing new blood into the entire industry.

it makes sense to me...
can't really help you if you still don't understand.
I dun't wanna push the issue, but i will continue to post info about retail shops opening in the retail thread in the colorado subforum.

Last edited:
E

Eureka Springs Organics

I do understand your points. Your last post was very articulate, and concise. I agree that most stores are not making a ton of money. I have seen this first hand. Most are making a living at best. I was not aware that with the new rules the stores were still counting plants from med patients. So once the go rec. they still can only grow the number of plants based off of patient sign up?

So you have 300 patients signed up, but you also went rec. you can only grow 1800 plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts