What's new

Colorado edibles tested for THC

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
DENVERPOST.COM, March 9,2014

The Denver Post hired Steep Hill Halant of Colorado to test the strength of various edibles. One brand was listed on the label as containing 100 milligrams of THC and had only 0.37 milligrams of THC. These 2 sample candy bars were bought two months and 40 miles away from each other. Of the 13 different types of edibles, 3 tested over strength, 4 tested under strength and 6 tested out at severely under strength.

I would suspect a little lab varience, but not the severely under strength ones. Oh well, let the buyer beware I guess.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's really something with the variance and "weak" (understrength) edibles!!

Guess we better make our own....at least we have control over that!!!

Best I've found that's easy and quick...nuke some choco-hazelnut spread with kief, let it cool down, spread on graham crackers. Heavenly!!! (and delirious!).

I feel bad about those spending big bucks for variable %.

staank

I've always had an unpredictable time with edibles. Some do nothing for me and others have made me a wreck laying on the couch LOL!
Now I know why.

Skip

Veteran
It would seem rather difficult to guarantee a certain level of THC.

Even if you know the THC level of the weed you are using in the edible, it changes due to dilution with other ingredients and the heat if baked.

The only way to accurately measure the THC in an edible before it's created is to test the "butter" or other medicated ingredient going into the edible. And of course that can vary from batch to batch and if the product is heated again, the THC % could change.

Everyone could easily add more THC to their recipes, to guarantee a minimum of THC, but then you'd get more overdoses from too much THC.

What helps this situation is the fact that more medical patients are discovering CBD works for them. CBD doesn't have the same side effects that THC does, so it can probably be tolerated at much higher dosages. However the problem with CBD isn't too much of it, but too little of it, as there's not much in most marijuana. They are now producing CBD oil from hemp. That would test extremely low for THC. But it would be good to test for CBD as well as THC so those patients can find the appropriate dose they need.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
i've never had a dispensary edible that was worthwhile so i make my own butter and give a lot of it away to people who have complained to me that edibles don't work on them

NEVER had anyone say that edibles didn't work after they baked their own brownies. i doubt that my butter is truly consistent by any means, but at least it is consistently strong

SwampNug

Tried some candy from Terrapin in Boulder last week, and thought they were awesome! Wish I could remember the name of the brand, as they were listed as having 5mg a piece and that seemed right. A nice, lighter buzz compared to smoking it, which is what I wanted. I just moved out here and my tolerance is low, so there's no way I can smoke and still function-everything Ive tried is too strong for the daytime. Thanks for the article link.

Nugtoker

Milehigher 300 mg bar taste like Andes mint leaves you wondering if your to high. And I eat my fair share of the edible. Best edible I've had for sure. Tested over the amount it claims FYI.

barnyard

interesting discussion from the operator for Dr. J's...

interesting discussion from the operator for Dr. J's...

[YOUTUBEIF]l_iwa2cflxA[/YOUTUBEIF]