What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cohiba "mom" of white widow?

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
bsc's zamal is very good work. luiz has released Christophe's aka gypsy zamal aka mafate zamal that so far is hermie free on 7 out of 7 zamals I've run. this is the first christophe zamal stock reproduction I know of that is hermie free.j I've got three purple zamal plants going right now in flower and no hermies so far. the undersides of the leaves exhibit purple as do the stems.

Hey bro, in my opinion that probably was because he reproduced them from an old P1 stock rather than his "good work" cleaning the line (no pun intented but Luiz was a grower trying to maintain a few seedlines and make some cash), while for example at Vibes C. some of the first reproductions were done using intersex males since the very begginings, leading into a blatant intersex offspring in the subsequent F2-F7 generations.

I guess it has to do with that commonly widespread belief about using any males available in order to reproduce a line, even if they are intersex, for the sake of preservation. Fatal mistake from a breeding perspective I guess. Reproduction after reproduction this kept damaging the line, no intersex clean-up, no potency/terpene selection at all... just messing it up year after year. That's why we really need to educate growers and sometimes we say that preserving is not as simple as it looks.

I tried to revitalize the line this season with old frozen Gypsy's P1 stock with the hope of finding firm males but unfortunately none appeared within the seeds. Just keeping the best purple P1 female myself in order to outcrosss with other several Reunionese strains. :)

Peace.

idiit

Veteran
it's often a total pain in the ass (unsuccessful) trying to remove hermies from hermie prone seed stock in my limited experience.

zamalito blew the whistle on luiz's breeding practices. luiz was not even close to a meticulous breeder like kaiki for example. not in the same league.

despite this luiz has put out some excellent work.

the cohiba seed stock has some great phenos. when purchasing raw landraces ( even ones contaminated with other landraces and/or adam genetics) the growers need to take some responsibility for subsequent in line breeding. the phenos from selection by subsequent growers utilized out of heterogeneous seed stock is paramount. the raw seed stock contains the genetic diversity (good or bad). the ilb projects reduce genetic diversity but increases the odds of finding certain desirable phenos in the successful ilb projects.

it's getting so bad that regular seeds have almost no customers today according to a contact (bean/seed buddy) that is working with some seed banks. all ppl want is fems according to him; can't give away regular seeds according to his experience.

at least luiz made some strain genetics available that were not available previously, even if the reproductions were done in an environment rife with random pollen. cohiba has already produced some stellar phenos and we haven't even found the electric long lasting pheno yet. it's a gem mine. got's to go thru some dirt to find the treasures. not everything in this world is handed to you on a silver platter.

I was born way before generation entitlement.

growingcrazy

^^ we don't have the father. neither does shanti iirc. one could reinvigorate run down ww strains though with an infusion of cohiba.

I took a ww freebe that lacked anything remarkable and crossed it with the paraguay cohiba pollen and got an excellent result.

I see. I didn't realize the father was entirely gone.

I have been running a WW that purples at about 60 days, finishes in 70-75. candy type pine flavor, not overly dense flowers. Branchy with medium height and stretch. Very potent. I would love to hit her with some cohiba pollen..

I have run WW seeds from most all of the large breeders and this has been my first real keeper matching what I remember from my younger days. Sad thing is, it came from Paradise WW IBL. I am not sure how legit they really are..

idiit

Veteran
I have run WW seeds from most all of the large breeders and this has been my first real keeper matching what I remember from my younger days. Sad thing is, it came from Paradise WW IBL. I am not sure how legit they really are..

unless you are planning on selling seeds or clones all that really matters is performance imo. sounds like you got a great ww to me; especially with a tendency to go purple.

what kind of high does your ww yield growingcrazy? dies it have an indica type stone or is it more of a sativa up energetic go get things done, good mood enhancing high effects?

rykus

I'm intrigued! So cool to have the original breeder back too! Welcome Castroman!

I can only hope some people keep and work my strain when I'm out of it for a while, very cool history and community coming together.

Consider me subscribed!

growingcrazy

unless you are planning on selling seeds or clones all that really matters is performance imo. sounds like you got a great ww to me; especially with a tendency to go purple.

what kind of high does your ww yield growingcrazy? dies it have an indica type stone or is it more of a sativa up energetic go get things done, good mood enhancing high effects?

I do enjoy making seeds but for my own personal searches. Currently looking for a good Satori male to make some crosses with. This widow will be one of them. Oddly i have marked it as phenotype "A" from germination...

I had to go smoke a bowl just for you idiit! Couldn't resist.

Onset starts in the roof of your mouth, trickles to the brain stem and just fades over your body. Nice tingle in your fingers and toes. All within 30 seconds or so. A small amount of visual light distortion occurs for the first 15 minutes or so. After about a half hour waves of motivation start coming. Usually will carry a nice solid buzz for 2-1/2 - 3 hours.

Day 72 or so. First run of her in no-till LOS.
picture.php

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Idiit, love what youre doing across the board.

I hope you will indulge me a moment.

I got seeds labeled SSSC Lot M69 F2. I found out today that they were mislabeled. They should have said SSC Lot 69 F2. Bigsur made these beans.

So, if I can take this opportunity, Id like to invite you, Charlie, Stash, BigS, Huesos, Castroman and anyone else with some 1st hand knowledge to drop by this https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=325523 thread and fill me in on what it is that Im growing.

If its not cool, Ill slash the tires on this here post.

Castroman

I got seeds labeled SSSC Lot M69 F2. I found out today that they were mislabeled. They should have said SSC Lot 69 F2. Bigsur made these beans.

I remember ordering an SSSC (Super Sativa Seed Club) paper catalogue from Amsterdam, it was a prized possession for many years. Listed there was a strain called M39, which was a Skunk #1 crossed with Basic #5 (most likely what we called today Northern Lights # 5). So my best guess is that's what you have, with two observations:

- M39 vs M69: The first is an SSSC strain as mentioned. The second is probably a Freudian slip by Bigsur. :biggrin:
- SSSC vs SSC: I am pretty sure M39 was swapped around in the Seed Swap Club (SSC) were both Bigsur and myself were members.

PS: By the way, I think it's high time we set up one such club anew. We can make it a secret society, call it "Skunk and Bones", have modern security measures like PGP encryption in all PMs containing swapping info, and require all candidates go through a mandatory "Neville's Hazing" before being admitted as full members.

Last edited:

ctg

Veteran
Lot 69 was a hybrid entered in a genetics/grow competition that we ran at the seed swap club many years ago. I don't remember off hand what was involved in the make up of lot 69 but it won the genetics comp. it can yield huge is way tasty and is awesome for pain relief/migraines. Cannagenetics strain base has a grow report on it if I remember correctly. Castro my old friend I do miss those clubs and would love to be involved again just not in the admin part... Lol

idiit

Veteran
The big question is what relation does the Paraguay Cohiba from BSC have to mine. Did this BSC vendor specify that the seeds came from me? It could be that he simply liked the name and was not aware of my line, or that he actually got a very early version of the Cohiba. For the record, I first circulated the seeds under the Cohiba name in 1989, face to face, way before the Internet. Some were planted and grown out near Rio de Janeiro, the same place where I found the cans that washed ashore with a super powerful mystery "maconha" that I used to shorten the flowering period. That obviously is another element that explains the heavier high in some individuals, even though I did backcross to minimize its influence in the high
castroman

thought i'd post these quotes below. it looks like castroman and Paraguayan are different strains but we don't know if the Paraguayan was the Paraguay cohiba. blan-k-flor, crazyfool and gkn's "89 Paraguay were all from different bagseed lots:

"I've grown a pure old school paraguayan line from friend Atreyu, it's called Paraguay '89 because of the year it was collected from brick imported to our country. At that point no skunk was introduced at all. Sadly, that happened around year '00 - '02 (introduction of 'dutch' genetics).
It was a very unique land race, tought to be an adaptation of Thai seeds brought by japanese growers to Paraguay. Another theory is that it might come from African seeds brought in by slaves taken into Brazil.
Atreyu can say a lot more about it because he also knows pure Amazonian herbs, as wells as some brazilians for sure.
Here some pics of Paraguay '89 from some years ago. I loved it, so different from everything else i've ever grown."

paraguay_89.jpg

^ that leaf looks a lot like my keeper gator ( super frosty, super potent) leaf I've posted.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?p=5369896&highlight=Paraguayan#post5369896

Oaxacan, Redman Skunk, mullumbiby madness.....

i was given a box of seeds from a friend, who was related to an old grower in NorCal who had passed away some five years ago. I wasnt told much about the seeds or the grower except that they were getting old and that the grower was a "fixture" up north. So I get the box home and start going through the collection. Strains like Oaxacan, MM, Redman Skunk, Cohiba, Solola, Colombia gold, Burmese, Paraguyan, Manga Rosa, Punta Roja and more. Some are labeled with who sent them and who received them. The senders are all different but the recipient is the same on all that are labeled. KERNAL KOZMIC aka Preservationdude! What are the chances!! I knew this dude!!! Not in real life but online. I had read some of his posts and even remembered reading about his passing away. Any how. The list of seeds is pretty long. Lots of old school landraces, Skunk #1 from 1988 and many many crosses.

I'd love to hear from Dubi, Charlie and a few other guy that I know he worked with. The list of seeds is long so I'll get to posting it as soon as I can.

resin_lung is offline Add to resin_lung's Reputation Report Post
Ok... This is what's in the box:

Oaxacan-30
Greg Oaxacan?-10
Redman Skunk-35
Mullumbiby Madness-35
Rural Chinese Indica-3
Cohiba-30
Paraguayan-30
Old Thai-1
Panama Red-25
Solola (guat?)-20
Golden Triangle Burmese-25
Malawi Gold-15
Malawi-15
Manga Rosa-15
Golden Sativa-20
Hawaiian Sativa-15
Hindu Kush-120
NamBlack x WW/Thai-10
Burmese x WW-15
CM Sampler-6
C99 x WL??-10
TFD Haze- 50
Cohiba x TW-10
NL5 x G13HP-10
Bing x C99/Bubble-10
Blk-n-Blue-10
PR x BB-10
Skunk#1 (1988)-25
K2-10
Mango x C99-10
WRhino x Oaxacan-10
BSC Purple Haze-10
BSC-Early Chemo-10
TW-15
Bubbleberry Haze-15
BlueGoo-2
(KxH) x K- 10
(KxH) x C99- 10
K x H (f2)- 10
Jabba???-10
Somango-10
Stoney HP-10
? Huge Striped?-10
Unmarked- 10
Indian Haze-10
Indian Skunk-10
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=173920&highlight=redman+skunk

Castroman

Lot 69 was a hybrid entered in a genetics/grow competition that we ran at the seed swap club many years ago. I don't remember off hand what was involved in the make up of lot 69 but it won the genetics comp. it can yield huge is way tasty and is awesome for pain relief/migraines. Cannagenetics strain base has a grow report on it if I remember correctly. Castro my old friend I do miss those clubs and would love to be involved again just not in the admin part... Lol

I've done admin work and it quickly becomes a 24/7, everyday some new problem type of job! I didn't know about Lot 69, here's the report on it by my good friend Heather, we actually started Cannagenetics together so most of the info there was collected and compiled by me (same as the "Strainbase", about 80% of it is my database, although Baudelaire never credited me).

Strain: Lot 69
Type: Indica
Breeder: SeedMan/SSC
Report by HeatherBud

Grown over 16 weeks - week 8 of flowering. Clones of the clones, the plants and buds got smaller and flowered quicker (6wks) due to its auto flowering trait. 6 from clones, 8 weeks from seed.

Comments: this is one of the stickiest plants I've grown. Stinks like hell as it matures. A special plant in my opinion but the auto flowering side of this strain might make it difficult cloning for beginners. It took longer to clone each time but flowered out quicker each time as well.

I'm not sure what it's made of exactly but it's got Blue strains in the make up I believe. The stems had the redish stripes. The seeds are just awesome, big with distinct black markings. A dear friend of mine said he could pick them out of bird seed.

The hash yield from Lot 69 was fantastic! I entered this strain in the Australian version of Cannabis Cup and out of 14 entries it came in 6th. Lot69 was rated very well for taste and smell but presentation let it down. The buds weren't prepped for competition as I only found out it was on a week or so before the Cup took place.

Lot69 came in first of 6 strains in the SSC Challenge grow. It's a hardy strain that wasn't phased by rough treatment such as an over nute as seedlings and were severed from the main root ball when transferred to flower... it was my first serious grow and I made some mistakes along the way. :( but this plant just kept thriving.

It looks like Castroman's and Paraguayan are different strains, but we don't know if the Paraguayan was the Paraguay Cohiba.

Aha! That explains why I couldn't recognize the Gator pheno. Given how Luiz sourced his genetics from the SSC, I don't believe his use of the name "Cohiba" is a coincidence though. Perhaps Luiz made a Paraguay 89 x Cohiba cross to try and shorten the flowering period, since the latter is earlier. Or perhaps the cross was made by someone else, as you can see there is a Cohiba x TW cross in Kernal Kozmic's list. By the way, I think Kernal Kozmic (rest in peace my friend!) is one of the guys I sent the new version of Cohiba, the one where the electric long lasting effect pheno appears 50% of the time.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Thanks for the lot 69 info. And thanks idiit for letting everyone share what they know with me.

Back to cohiba...

misterD

misterD farmhouse
Veteran
Interesting thread, that clear that old school "white widow" May have half of her root sourced from something in south america!

But she clearly show some himalayan ancesstors!

From a 1997 of ww pack!

picture.php

Vs a landrace kashmir (undutched)

picture.php

I see many similarity btw those 2, isn't?

growingcrazy

Am I able to find seeds that contain cohiba genetics? I would really like to find a male to cross with my 2 phenos of WW, the purple posted earlier and a silver pheno with a nice tobacco flavor.

Any direction would be awesome!

Cannavore

Veteran
just threw down 5 Cohiba to soak. two immediately sunk lol.... that can't be a good sign

sowed these this afternoon. they all had tap roots shooting out pretty quick. this is going to be a test run just to check them out, see how they grow, ect.

very blessed to have been passed these.

Latest posts

Latest posts