What's new

Coco+perlite+chemical nutrients=microorganisms?

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
The coco should be very airy to begin with and adding perlite keeps it from packing down.

3% H202 is fairly potent stuff, and its listed as an antiseptic on the bottle. Yes I understand its simply water with an extra oxygen on there. Couple drops on a q-tip.
and it clears up any ear infection. Great stuff, Thats my data set.

So when I have root rot problems a half bottle of that stuff in a 8 gallon res clears up that problem.

I would _think_ about it before pouring H202 or H202 in dilute solution in coco that I used microlife in.

*mistress*

Veteran
The coco should be very airy to begin with and adding perlite keeps it from packing down.
perlite is excellent media by itself... maybe look @ it other manner... as coco only adding water-hold capacity to perlite, which itself retain water...

but perlite excellent aerator... coco is rarely consistent, & perlite is 100% consistent... it never pack down w/ larger pieces...
3% H202 is fairly potent stuff, and its listed as an antiseptic on the bottle. Yes I understand its simply water with an extra oxygen on there. Couple drops on a q-tip.
?
and it clears up any ear infection. Great stuff, Thats my data set.
theres better remedies than h202 for ear infections...
try warm campho phenic, gently dropped into ear. maybe, not dr... maybe...
So when I have root rot problems a half bottle of that stuff in a 8 gallon res clears up that problem.
?

isnt that contradictory to concept of damaging microlife?
I would _think_ about it before pouring H202 or H202 in dilute solution in coco that I used microlife in.
what is to think about?

the chemistry does not concur w/ the theory that h202 somehow kills all beneficial 'microlife'... while, @ too great concentrations, can cause harm to plants.

there are mycorrhizae that remediate toxic spill sites, so a little hydrogen peroxide wont blanket destroy all microbes in a portion of media, or solution.

how can it 'clear up that problem' in 1 instance, yet cause pause @ the next?

please present scientific, or @ least some reference materials that concur w/ theory that h202 somehow harms microlife...
..........................................................................................................................
3 to 6% solution is generally used for an exposure time of 10 to 600 minutes depending on the microorganism targeted. In general, vegetative bacteria are most susceptible and bacterial spores the most resistant.
regulatory:
Hydrogen peroxide, well known as an ingredient in disinfectant products, is now also approved for controlling microbial pests on crops growing indoors and outdoors, and on certain crops after harvest. This active ingredient prevents and controls bacteria and fungi that cause serious plant diseases. Hydrogen peroxide breaks down rapidly in the environment to oxygen and water, and is not expected to cause adverse effects to humans or the environment when users follow label directions.
http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-garden.html
The benefits of hydrogen peroxide for a garden can be useful for any kind of a garden, and any method of gardening. Peroxide is great for plants that are planted in the ground, and it’s also great for plants in containers -- it is useful in hydroponic gardens, raised beds, and greenhouses.
.................................................................................
hoosierdaddy said:
I'll tell ya how...because each and every time the subject of H2O2 comes up, there will inevitably be some one who posts a warning that H2O2 will kill the microherd. It never fails.
If I were you, I wouldn't even waste time with the facts, they will be shot down with ignorance. And once you get to the "aerobic" part, you are already labeled a heretic.
Never mention H2o2 around so called organic guru's. (holds head)
@ least trying to beckon some scientific facts...

even organic gardeners should have sound facts to support their orgainc principles...

but... you have point.:yes:

maybe there will be cites forthcoming to the sci docs that say widespread carnage in wake of h202 in growing media:D...

ironic that most organic-style gardeners view h202 as an organic cleanser...:chin::ying:

curious about data about the effect of microbe adding - @ all.
still no data that adding it to res/media does anything.

enjoy your garden!

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As we have seen, the listing of the word "antiseptic" gives folks the impression that H202 will sterilize anything it comes in contact with.

GGW, antiseptic means it fights a septic condition. Anaerobic bacterium are what cause things to go septic. Anaerobic bacterias cannot survive in the presence of high oxygen concentration, so they perish.
Aerobic bacterium are of a different sort than anaerobic, in that they feed on and thrive in the presence of high oxygen concentrations.
H2o2 only kills bacteria (when used at prescribed levels) by the use of oxygen, nothing more. There isn't anything in it like alcohol or some polar solvent to do the work, it's oxygen release that kills bacteria that hate oxygen. These are the ones that cause things to rot. Most horticultural beneficial bacteria are of an aerobic nature.
Look up those words after looking up antiseptic, and your warnings will be better equipped.

btw...it's the stuff at the hydro store that you need to be careful with....3% is pretty benign and even a mistake won't amount to much. A mistake with horticultural grade h2o2 can spell disaster for your grow.

*mistress*

Veteran
@ GrowerGoneWild...
where was *mistress* not helpful?

@hoosierdaddy...
belief can outweigh science, seems... @ moments.
:ying:

:witch:
enjoy your garden!

microgram

h2o2 will sterilize most things, but in heavy dilution the oxygen becomes a stray, which the plant will love. Calcium peroxide is used as a topological 'soil additive' in case it rains too much, it's very similar to hydrogen peroxide, except the calcium peroxide a powder, just how hydrogen cyanide is a gas, and sodium cyanide is a powder (in it's natural form).

Im sorry guys, but im siding with mistress on this one, wisdom triumphs. (Not saying im the wisest however)

Sure, if you use 'straight' hydrogen peroxide right from the bottle it'll probably kill your plants, as goes for anything 'pure', even calcium peroxide. It's all basic chemistry.

water3.gif

This demonstrates how dissolved 'solids' work, exactly how hydrogen peroxide will work when diluted. But since the O2 is stable, nothing is 'attracted' to it, therefore being available to the plant as O2. and the remainder of the 'hydrogen peroxide' will be left alone as water.

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I'm familiar with using h202 in soil. Yeah it works, works for waterlogged roots and stuff.
works in hydro too. I know the importance of additional oxygen in the rootzone.

I'm not going to flush a plant in coco using dilute h202. Especially when I spent money trying to colonize it with useful microlife.

I still think filtered plain water flush, is cheaper, and in my opinion less damaging to the colony. Cost is reasonable for a few plants, but when I go over to a fellow growers house, and see about a dozen 3% h202 bottles, I'm thinking what the fuck?.. Good luck finding 35% h202, its hard to find, and from what I understand thats a "watched" item nowadays.

I'd only use H202 if it was necessary. Routine flushing of coco with h202 colonized with microbes, is not necessary if you ask me.

*mistress*

Veteran
I'm familiar with using h202 in soil. Yeah it works, works for waterlogged roots and stuff.
works in hydro too. I know the importance of additional oxygen in the rootzone.

I'm not going to flush a plant in coco using dilute h202. Especially when I spent money trying to colonize it with useful microlife.
how do you confirm that the coin spent of 'microlife' is actually there?
is actually working?
still have yet to establish this, 1st...
I still think filtered plain water flush, is cheaper, and in my opinion less damaging to the colony. Cost is reasonable for a few plants, but when I go over to a fellow growers house, and see about a dozen 3% h202 bottles, I'm thinking what the fuck?.. Good luck finding 35% h202, its hard to find, and from what I understand thats a "watched" item nowadays.
?
&*&*& plant products...
29%.
label:
1. dilute 3ml of h202 in 4 liters of water.
2. add to nutrient tank every 3-5 days.
should be avaialble @ most quality gaarden store. among other plance.

"watched".... nothing to do w/ topic.
many garden tools/topics could be considered such...
I'd only use H202 if it was necessary. Routine flushing of coco with h202 colonized with microbes, is not necessary if you ask me.
how did this get to routine flushing?
even if so... very routine to flush w/ h202...
in fact, some quality ferts make point to say their ferts compatible
w/ h202.

how did GrowerGoneWild reach conclusion that h202 kills, or destroys 'microlife'?

what is the reference point?

& does h202 kills all of the millions & millions of microbes, fungi, mycorrhizae, nematodes & bacteria?

or just a few thousand?

how are these input & medium #'s of 'microlife' counted & substantiated as 'beneficial'?

example:
variables...

x amount
of predator 'microlife'
(for this, inclusive of myco, fungi, bacteria, amoeba, nematodes, assorted microbes, etc...)

y-amount of prey microlife

z-amount organic matter

a-amount of oxygen in medium

b-ph of medium

c-total amount of available elemental inorganic ions produced by activities of x, y, z, a & b... as they interact....
(% of npk-ca-mg-s, organic acids/compounds, etc. also, if any waste products are produced by conversion, how much not avaialble to plant)...

d-amount of 'microlife' required to continue activitites... if needed to continue to input them into media/solution...

e-conditions required for efficient & balaced 'microlife'...ieg, the required temps, ph, nutrient levels, water, etc, required to sustain conditions that maintain balance of predator/prey microlife & dont permit bacteria, fungi, etc to colonize media+roots...

t-time required to produce c-amount of elements usable by plants...

duing period of t-hours, x-amount of predator microlife. consumes y-amount of prey micro-life & other organic matter (if any), in a-amount of oxygen (held in/released from) medium... @ b-ph...

so, x+y, held @ a & b constants, produce... c-amount of available elements in t, given constant e...

is really a calculus problem, but w/out #'s for variables... is all very unknowns...

if have some somewhat reliable #'s, can do schedule for upper & lower limits of off variables, if this model is functional...

if have no variable #'s & no flow-chart, is entirely guesswork & just:
unknown

what is certain is that full-strength, water soluble fertilizer can be inserted into the above variable rows/columns... w/ comparable descriptions... & the #'s can be relatively accurately derived & accounted for - thru out the cycle -from seedling to harvest...

w/out a single drop/pinch of micro-life being added, the plants will grow healthy...

enjoy your garden!

fadahigh

On the topic of h2o2 killin microbes, wouldnt it be a double bonus to use it with compost tea especially anerobic steeped compost:bump:

Latest posts

Latest posts