What's new

coco cloning failure continues

Wow this is a great thread!!!! Its really fun to read through, so many diffrent opinions on the same method. I have always used cloning in coc as a " back-up". Just in case water dosent work. I find that water works great!!!! I use a bubble cloner in a 1 gal ribbermaid from wal-mart and havent lost a cut in at least 2 years. just work were i live. I think you should always wash your coc before you use it! I know they say ther all good to go but thats Bull cause ive tried several diffrent kinds and none are always perfect! Cloning is a bitch but once you get it you will always have it. Grow on

Herborizer

Veteran
I finally got my coco cloning to work. In my situation, my rh (relative humidity) was very low 20's and 30's. Once I put them in a dome and kept 90% rh, I got roots in 9 days.

bud lover

i think the main problem is that cuttings have no way of taking up water having no roots therefor when you take them its allways best to keep them covered either in a propergator or clear plastic food bags to keep the rh up also you should spray them lightly with a mix of rhizotonic 4ml to a litre (im using rhizotonic as an eg because i only use canna) upto 5 times a day.
always use a quality cloning gel such as clonex i get 100% success every time using this method strong healthy roots

ok i got some really really good advice for you guys that cant get cloning down in coco....you guys ready for this....this will really increase your success rate....definately the best method for cloning.....its called....USE FUCKING ROCKWOOL PLUGZZZZ!!!!!

fuck cloning in coco

bromhexine

maybe i missed it but how old are plants you're cloning from? are you taking older lower branches or newer fresher branches? the older and harder the cuttings the more likely they'll do well in any medium even a glass of water.

Lone Wolf

Veteran
the most important thing that was only mentioned by a couple people here that seems to not be taken seriously is TEMPERATURE!!!!

A heat mat is KEY! The cuttings need to stay warm... the warmth also allows water to evaporate off so that it doesn't stay stagnant and cause the stems to get moldy and mushy... if you are re-watering your cuts every couple days then you should be doing good...

i was always really big into my home-made aerocloners which just used air and water, but after discovering the walmart plastic bottle ice-cube trays that used coco, i quickly came to find out that the icecube trays were much easier to use, and took up less space, and required less maintenance...

with the icecube trays, i just fill them up with FRESH coco (fresh coco is important also- do not use re-used coco, as it may contain nutrients, or salt, or mold that is not good for the sensitive cuttings- its like putting salt in an open wound! not cool!!)... i used every cloning gel under the sun in my days of cloning, and to be honest, I have found out that the BEST stuff to use is "OLIVIAS cloning SOLUTION".... its not a gel, but its a liquid that you mix in with water, and you water your cuts with it.... i also keep a heating mat/pad which is specifically made for seedlings/cuttings... i also keep my cuts under a T5... T5's work perfect for cloning... here and there a cut will die, which is normal - but be sure to instantly remove it from the batch before it starts molding up...

but all in all, make sure you use a clean razor, fresh coco, keep your cutting warm, and expose it to a small amount of light...pay attention to your cuts, and do not neglect your cuts!

humidity doesnt make a difference in the world.....i USED to think a humidity dome or some sort of enclosed container was needed to make the humidity 100% or close to it so i could have successful clones....well truth is....humidity doesnt matter worth a shit.....

Herborizer

Veteran
humidity doesnt make a difference in the world.....i USED to think a humidity dome or some sort of enclosed container was needed to make the humidity 100% or close to it so i could have successful clones....well truth is....humidity doesnt matter worth a shit.....

If you check into my threads, you will see I ran several experiments. Here, in my grow room, I run about 28-37% RH. I ran dozens of side by side tests. Once they were in the dome, the rooted. I think most people have RH over 50% so they would never notice it. Though SOME of us have extremely low RH and it can make a difference in the world.

Heat, Humidity, Low Light, Healthy Mothers, moist (not wet) medium, at least one node in the medium, no exposed cuts above the medium, don't give N. These are all major factors to success.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
don't use the cloning gel

the coco has nothing to do with it if the stem is coated in gel

if the cuts are falling over after a few days, white mold is killing them, as soon as you take a cut submerge it in a 5ml/gal physan 20 solution for about 15 seconds then stick the bare stem straight into the coco.

M

Mitch Connor

My current method that's been working with 99% success and roots in 6 days (Mandala - Speed Queen):

-Both moms and clones stay in the same closet that is always 80F/70% humidity.

-Stop feeding N 5 days before taking cuts.

-Coco is precharged with 2.5/5 solution of micro/bloom @ ph 5.8 and Floralicious+. I could see how calmag would be needed for some strains, but my Speed Queen I run is very efficient on nutes and can thrive in these conditions. My tap water comes out at 120ppm and pH 7.1, very good tap water with ca/mg.

-Each cutting is dipped in rooting gel, then placed in a 500ml beer cup of coco. I place the cutting in and pack it down to ensure a snug fit. Extra foliage is trimmed from leaves.

-At this time I give them a nice foliar of 1/8th strength solution and some floralicious+.

-Place clones in same area as moms @ 80F/70% humidity under 1 4ft T5. Don't touch em and in 6 days they start shooting little nubs of roots.

It took me a while to figure out a method that gets me steady success, but once you find it for your setting it will be easy.

Keep in mind, every strain is different on how easy it is to clone. What you want to do is find out the best method for your strain and dial it in to your setup to be as efficient as possible. My method might not work for the next person because of any # of variables so you gotta find what is right for your setting/environment.

slowandeasy

Veteran

if the cuts are falling over after a few days, white mold is killing them, as soon as you take a cut submerge it in a 5ml/gal physan 20 solution for about 15 seconds then stick the bare stem straight into the coco.

Why not use cloning gel? I use it and get roots in 6 days. When I dont use it, it is atleast 10-14 days. Many factors into cloning. Humidity is a key factor. In Coco I clone in at least 50 to 60% no domes. But one time in the winter my humidity was really low....what happened you say? They wilted, put a dome on and they perked up. So in some cased, yes humidity can be the difference between success and failure.

Lone Wolf

Veteran
If you check into my threads, you will see I ran several experiments. Here, in my grow room, I run about 28-37% RH. I ran dozens of side by side tests. Once they were in the dome, the rooted. I think most people have RH over 50% so they would never notice it. Though SOME of us have extremely low RH and it can make a difference in the world.

Heat, Humidity, Low Light, Healthy Mothers, moist (not wet) medium, at least one node in the medium, no exposed cuts above the medium, don't give N. These are all major factors to success.

with all do respect herb, i have cut many clones without a node... dont get me wrong, nodes are excellent and increase your chances of rooting, but it is not imperative if you have every other card played right...

Sam the Caveman said:

cloning gel is perfectly fine to use with coco... in fact, i have used cloning gel many times with great success... i just prefer to not use it because it is so expensive and you only get so much out of it.. in my case where i cut up so many clones, it gets annoying to have to run out of gel... so i have switched over to the cloning solution which is much cheaper, and comes concentrated, so u just mix it with water, and water your cuts with it, and BAM, ROOTS! I picked up a quart of olivias cloning solution and i have had the thing for a while now. i think i have made over 600 cuts with it to date and have barely dented the bottle- in fact it is about 96% full....

I know a guy who uses just straight water and coco in party cups and always roots them with success... but all in all, the most important aspects to pay attention to if you want quickly rooted clones include: paying attention to the moisture surrounding the submerged stem, paying attention to the temperature of your medium, paying attention to the humidity in the area in which the clones reside, and ensuring that some lighting is around to assist in the development of photosynthesis which acts as the catalyst for root growth... i once thought lighting was unimportant and that very little lighting is required to get roots, but as I played around more and more i came to realize that when i started using a T5 versus a T8, my clones were healthier... And when I was using my aerocloners, I had GREAT success when i had the clones underneath my parabolic with a 600w MH conversion bulb shooting down on them...

but all in all, its a puzzle... get the correct pieces put in place that are specific to YOUR situation, and before you know it, you will have success...

:dance013:

sincerely,

the lonely wolf....

Incognegro

I've had years of failure with cuts... never could get it right... outta maybe 10,000 cuts, only 5 rooted.

But now, I made my own aero-cloner, it worked first time..it's pretty much been failing since..i think it's because of a few plants that went moldy...so that may be in the water...

but my last set of cuts I think, i took 10total, 6went into the aero-cloner. 4 went into a cut water bottle, with coco, dip into cloning powder like all other (from Lowes) all got cut, dipped, etc same time, the ones in coco in the bottle rooted in about 5 days... all 4cuts. (lol, mind you they were all in the same bottle too) the ones in the aero-cloner are still perky but not rooted. SO I may end up just doing the coco cloning..

oh the were in a cut water bottle as stated, put into an unused baby wipe container, under my T8's that I use for vegging...no dome...(but I think the humidity is probably around 60% in the veg area) only watered them when I put into bottle, and once about 3days later when the coco was fairly dry (i put drainage holes in bottle) check the other day..saw nice long roots going down side of the bottle...transplanted all 4 :)

lisen to Lone wolf, temp is your #1 key to cloning, rockwool, coco, cloners, dome, no dome, doesnt matter if you dont have the temperature right they wont root for shit.
#2 humidity
#3 healthy mom
None of the other stuff really matters

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
lisen to Lone wolf, temp is your #1 key to cloning, rockwool, coco, cloners, dome, no dome, doesnt matter if you dont have the temperature right they wont root for shit.
#2 humidity
#3 healthy mom
None of the other stuff really matters

Again, yes, listen to Lone Wolf.

If you are having stems rot, I bet your rootzone is going above 24 degrees, or dipping below 17 degrees, both too much and too little warmth can affect clones.

Get a cheap Min/Max thermometer with a remote probe [usually labelled in/out] and see what the temps really are, stick the probe in one of your coco cups, just like all your stems.

Use a thermostat controlled system, just adding a 30W heater may not be enough in cold mornings, but too much on a hotter afternoon.

The best system I ever saw used a reptile heater under a tray of water, clear above this, a tray of clones with a remote thermometer probe and also a remote thermostat probe in one of the cubes, that way, whenever the probe dropped below 22degrees, the heater was triggered, warming the water below, radiating the necessary heat and fresh humidity past the cuttings.

Putting the probes in the medium makes for the most accurate measurements, if they are anywhere else IMO there is a possibility of inaccuracy. Heating a tray of water is far more gentle and the humidity means you do not need to use a propagator, so nothing ever rots.

S

Swansen

Proving once again that cloning is straight up voodoo.

xD HAHA! i mean, i didn't include all the quotes in here, but yes.

ok, cloning is HIGHLY individual, like, the things on your hands(oil, personal bacteria, environmental bacteria, unless you wear gloves) and then of course the environment itself, the water being used, humidity, things in the air, temperature, etc, etc, etc. SSOO, all these must be taken into account.

Cloning the same plant in location A requires different methods that cloning in location B. (which is odd, because, outdoors it seems like no matter where i am, i can just cut off whatever i want and stick it in the ground...) Anywho, need to find the variances for given situation, once those are found these things seem to run like clockwork. Getting there though is always a process, which ends up taking a good chunk of time, it sucks.:comfort:

Incognegro

ok, cloning is HIGHLY individual, like, the things on your hands(oil, personal bacteria, environmental bacteria, unless you wear gloves) and then of course the environment itself, the water being used, humidity, things in the air, temperature, etc, etc, etc. SSOO, all these must be taken into account.

EXACTLY!:tiphat: